Cessna 195

write-stuff

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
write-stuff
Giving a flight review in this beauty this afternoon. Snapped the picture about an hour ago standing on a ladder next to the runway.

195takeoff.jpg

He's right. With that largish radial, it's a handfull on landings with the slightest crosswind. Visibility is nearly zero over the nose. But it's still such a gorgeous airplane, you gotta love it.

He's right. With that largish radial, it's a handfull on landings with the slightest crosswind. Visibility is nearly zero over the nose. But it's still such a gorgeous airplane, you gotta love it.

Thinking about that, how can you keep the airplane aligned with the runway center line if you can't see over the nose?

Thinking about that, how can you keep the airplane aligned with the runway center line if you can't see over the nose?
easy, you look out the side and watch the edge of the runway.

My guess is you will only have that issue during flare...right before flare...with the airplane centered, pick a point on the horizon that lines up. Then use a combination of that, and looking out the side.

At least, that's how I would imagine doing it:dunno:

Wait until you land on cross wind gear..

Peripheral vision out the corners, keep your head and gaze forward. If you have enough space just ride out a wheelie to keep a forward view. You do learn to trust your peripheral vision though. I have found I'm best to leave my eyes 'focused' where the end of the runway must be.YMMV

Biplanes teach you to 'use the force' as far as believing in your aimpoint lol. It's a long way around until you're finally eyes on where you need to be.

Biplanes teach you to 'use the force' as far as believing in your aimpoint lol. It's a long way around until you're finally eyes on where you need to be.[/QUOTE]

I learned T/W in a Great Lakes and have flown hundreds of hours in big and small (Pitts, Eagle, Acroduster) biplanes. I fly a N3N currently and coming over the threshold of a narrow runway does take a little faith because you know you are in the middle if you can't see any runway on either side. I flew a 195 a bit and it has great visibility out the left side. Once you learn the visual clues it isn't that big a deal. Just another skillset. Don

I learned T/W in a Great Lakes and have flown hundreds of hours in big and small (Pitts, Eagle, Acroduster) biplanes. I fly a N3N currently and coming over the threshold of a narrow runway does take a little faith because you know you are in the middle if you can't see any runway on either side. I flew a 195 a bit and it has great visibility out the left side. Once you learn the visual clues it isn't that big a deal. Just another skillset. Don
How do you like the N3N compared to other biplanes?

Biplanes teach you to 'use the force' as far as believing in your aimpoint lol. It's a long way around until you're finally eyes on where you need to be.

LOL yep, like working rice off the levee, as long as everything was water, everything was good...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited:
The N3N is the Cadillac of the biplane trainers. Has four ailerons, all ball bearings on the control surfaces and is all aluminum structure. I have flown a Stearman a bunch and a couple hours in a UPF-7 and the N flies nicer. I flew a stock N with the 235hp Wright and the skinney, tall 30x5 wheels with the crummy Lockheed brakes for several hundred hours. No electrical system and we used the hand crank to start it. It was always a hit at airshows. I fly one now with a 300hp Lycoming with a C/S prop. It has the BT wheels and Hayes brakes. The stock one could get interesting on landing but the one I fly now is a big pussycat on the ground. Cockpits are nice and aren't too breezy and the fuselage is a little narrower than the Stearman and UPF so has a little better vis on landing. It flies a bit faster than the Stearman and has much lighter controls. The fuselage structure in different as it is made from aluminum extrusions riveted together left over from the dirigible program. Don

Back