Cessna 182 recurring AD's

zx6rrider

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Chad
I know it will vary for each specific aircraft but can anyone tell me what the typical recurring AD's are for the older 182's. 1969 M to be specific. I'm scrolling the the FAA's website but takes a while to read each one.

Seat Rails and.....?

There is a web page for this type of query somewhere.... Did you prowl the FAA website to find your answer?

Yea I've started looking thru it but it gives all the AD's for the model, many are one time or don't apply

On my J model (66), I recall the following (from memory at annual, and I'm not an A&P)
-Seat rails
-Bulkhead back by the tail for cracking
-Oil filter adaptor (O-470 with spin on filter). Upon install, should have been torqued, safety wired and torque putty applied. After that, each oil change with filter replacement requires checking the integrity of the torque putty (i.e. to verify no loosening of the adaptor/jam nut)

On my J model (66), I recall the following (from memory at annual, and I'm not an A&P)
-Seat rails
-Bulkhead back by the tail for cracking
-Oil filter adaptor (O-470 with spin on filter). Upon install, should have been torqued, safety wired and torque putty applied. After that, each oil change with filter replacement requires checking the integrity of the torque putty (i.e. to verify no loosening of the adaptor/jam nut)

Those are all correct for our P model also, and it's too late at night for me to remember if there's any others. I believe for some there were prop ADs... certain other accessories also had/have them... I'll have to go look at "the list" for ours when I'm more awake.

Thanks guys, that sounds about right. I'm looking to have a plane ferried back to my airport for a pre-buy/annual and part of the requirement is all AD's complied with. I'm an A&P but have been in the jet world for most of my experience so wanted to make sure there wasn't something I couldn't quickly comply with before departing. The owner is 85 years old so didn't want to bother him with trying to find out.

You could ask him only for the one page listing from the logs of recurring AD compliance (but we all know how unsatisfying that can be.... things missing from the list or things shown as complied with, but truly not done).

It can take a lot of research using the FAA site plus you have to know the entire list of components and modifications including model and part numbers to ensure you don't miss something. An AD service will catch most of the big ones but even they don't know which altimeter or mod is installed on an aircraft; I have seen them miss stuff.
I think of all FAA documents, the temp flight permit is one that gets pencil whipped the most.

paper air filter?
Bendix key switch?

And the ACS ignition switch if it doesn't have the Bendix. Most airplanes I get to for the first time either have had the wrong AD inspection performed, or none at all. One doesn't have to look very hard, with many airplanes, to see that they haven't been legal for many years. Lots of overlooked ADs, even one-timers, especially with appliances like switches or altimeters or brakes and wheels or seat belts or carburetors or fuel pumps...

The "seat rail" AD involves much more than seat rails, BTW.

The FAA must have a search function that uses the tail number? We have that in Canada: punch in the registration and it spits out ADs for the airframe, engine and prop, but of course we also have another process whereby we have to report the condition of the airplane every year, including and engine or prop changes, and the system keeps us up to date. But it doesn't find appliance ADs; we have to check things like that ourselves. Can take a while.

Last edited:
Back