Cessna 182-JT Prototype Off-Airport Landing

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Cessna Pilot's Assn reports Cessna 182-JT diesel prototype off-airport landing (presumed engine failure) and ... silence from the Internet?

Interesting. Post up what you hear...

They wrecked 2 Skycatcher and the thing still sold, so it's probably not a big deal.

Okay, I will start it...at least they did not pull a parachute!

They wrecked 2 Skycatcher and the thing still sold, so it's probably not a big deal.

This isn't a new airframe. It's a new power plant in a market that's already seen the Thielert disaster, coupled with the plan to jump off the cliff into similar technology and kill the known reliable power plant.

I suspect until the cause is known, there's some very nervous Cessna folk. If the news is the thing blew up, it may significantly change their trajectory, just as Skycatcher did in regards to release date.

Bummer. I think a lot of people are hoping for success in this program.

I thought the JT-A model was only replacing the _turbo_ 182, not the NA version...?

It's not uncommon for manufacturers to drop the prior power plants or components under such circumstances. When asked why, they usually say "nobody wanted the old one after they saw the benefits of the new one."

I'd guess it's usually true, but who knows?

I thought the JT-A model was only replacing the _turbo_ 182, not the NA version...?

Let the conspiracy theories begin! From http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/Plane-Makes-Emergency-Landing-In-Sumner-County-220583521.html:

However, the pilot gave incorrect coordinates and reported that he had landed at 130th Avenue and Mayfield in Sumner County. Emergency crews in Sumner County where unable to locate him.

The FAA reported to Sedgwick County 911 that the plane appeared to have landed 20 miles west of Wichita and three miles north of Highway 54. The plane was eventually located in a field near Smoots Creek and McNew Road in Kingman County, just west of Cheney Lake.
What was the pilot trying to hide, by sending authorities to the wrong location??? He probably bought Cessna at least a couple of hours to get to the crash site first and do whatever they wanted to do before the authorities saw it....

https://www.google.com/maps/preview...5!3d37.0991667!3m2!1i1454!2i1049!4f13.1&fid=0

:D

Back