Cessna 182 fuel bladder tanks

jmetc

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jmetc
I am an A&P but this will be my first time to remove and replace the bladder tanks in a 182. Does anyone know how to do this job? I have been told it will take about 10 hours per tank to remove and replace is this correct?
jmetc

Been there done that, if you have the MM just follow along with it and take your time. It isn't so much a difficult job as a anoyingly long one.

Be sure to read the AD (don't have the number infront of me) on the bladders and keep the wrinkles out. I'd hate for the engine to quit sometime after rotation because of wrinkles/water. I know I don't want to be the one explaining myself to the FAA, I've done it once before and even when you did everything right it isn't any fun.

Any specific questions please ask!

I am an A&P but this will be my first time to remove and replace the bladder tanks in a 182. Does anyone know how to do this job? I have been told it will take about 10 hours per tank to remove and replace is this correct?
jmetc

the new tank will come with two rolls of tape, this is not duct tape, be vary careful to remove all old tape and replace it, the old tape will harden and destroy the new tank.

use a good shop vac to collapse the old tank (be positive all the fuel is out), and roll the old tank as you remove it or it will not come thru the opening.

be positive you get all the hangars installed properly or the tank will flex and rub a hole in its self.

The warmer the rubber is the easier it is to work with, (to a limit) warm to touch is good.

yes its a full days job. I'll bet you get bruises on your biceps before you are finished.

You've done this before haven't you;)

Try it on a C-185 with long range tanks.. It takes Dolby the house elf to get the back snaps.

Attachments

• dobby-the-house-elf-dobby-the-house-elf-7047229-431-300.jpg
    dobby-the-house-elf-dobby-the-house-elf-7047229-431-300.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 25
Only did it on one 182 though it does have the long range tanks.

Oddly the long range bladder on a Seneca is more hateful, it may only be a little thing but with only one tiny hole to shove it through it just sucks. I like my integral tanks thank you very much!

My last two 180's have been retrofitted with Monarch tanks. Money well spent IMO.

One of the manuals use to say lay it in the sun to warm it up to help with the installation.. We use to have a good laugh about that! The writer had never been to Alaska in the winter!:D

I have never changed a bladder and filled it up to see gas pouring out either! :mad2:

I wonder if you can fit these using that redneck tire bead seating method...where is that video?

Is that carburetor cleaner and a match? Or some such flammable liquid? :rofl:
Generally ether works best. Also works good on tractor tires. When I was a kid I thought that everybody used ether to seat tires.

Generally ether works best. Also works good on tractor tires. When I was a kid I thought that everybody used ether to seat tires.

I see that you, like me, were raised in the Ghettoville Performance Shoppe.

Tom: It seems you've been spending time around the grandkid. :)

Well, if you look at YouTube, it appears that everybody still does! :D

Back