Cessna 182 Cowl Flap

'Preciate the tip, brother. Honestly, in this day in age, I was surprised to have them call me back a week later and let me know they found one. Seems like a lot of businesses don't provide great customer service anymore, especially first time potential customers. On top of that, they seem like nice folks. I'll do business with them again.

A big thank you to all who gave input!
They deserve their reputation. Read a bit about their history when you are bored sometime.

Beegles rocks. The FBO on the other hand... well they've taken to locking up the place after hours at night and won't give a code to transient pilots to get into the damned gate.

And they want you to pay a fee at KGXY to get in after hours because they'll dispatch someone out to open it.

This sucketh mightily as they say.

Too damn many people paranoid up there about se-cur-i-tah. I used to think it was the rural paranoia about "taking terrorism seriously" or some such silliness, but lately I'm reading the the town of GXY has a horrible narcotics problem. They've even issued Narcan to beat cops to try to save lives with all the ODs they're rolling on, so... I dunno. Maybe they're worried some transient pilot will give out the code and they'll have vandalism problems. Seems easy to fix that though, just change the damn code regularly.

The code and call-out thing make it much less appealing to fly up there to see family for dinner, mainly for me. I'd rather give my money to KFNL and have the family drive over to the restaurants over near there instead than put up with idiots that lock me away from my airplane and want to charge me to open a gate that has an electronic code pad on it.

Hell. They don't even have airline service. I can get the code for KPUB and walk 50' from the anti-terrorism line of red death to the airplane easier than I can use GXY to go to dinner with folks. It's stupid.

But yeah. Beegles rocks.

Beat up cowl flap. $100

Called up Robair and ordered one of his stainless hinges for $115, and a new shock mount for $28.

Also ordered a used control cable from Beegles. $150

Ordered used clevis from Ebay. $29 for a pair

Should be good to go when it all arrives. A little over $400. Beats the crap out of a $1500 beat up flap from Texas Air Salvage or a $3000 new one from Cessna. Still sucks that I didn't take care of the original one, but you live and learn. I'll take it.

Thank y'all for the help.

Still sucks that I didn't take care of the original one, but you live and learn. I'll take it.

Getting old makes it difficult to inspect those things you're sposed to look at occasionally. I need to buy one of those anti-terrorist mirrors on a stick to look at the belly. :D :D

Getting old makes it difficult to inspect those things you're sposed to look at occasionally. I need to buy one of those anti-terrorist mirrors on a stick to look at the belly. :D :D

I hear ya. I happen to still be young, so I have no excuse other than ignorance.

Beat up cowl flap. $100

Called up Robair and ordered one of his stainless hinges for $115, and a new shock mount for $28.

Also ordered a used control cable from Beegles. $150

Ordered used clevis from Ebay. $29 for a pair

Should be good to go when it all arrives. A little over $400. Beats the crap out of a $1500 beat up flap from Texas Air Salvage or a $3000 new one from Cessna. Still sucks that I didn't take care of the original one, but you live and learn. I'll take it.

I just heard that Beegles got that cowl flap from some farmer in Oklahoma...

Shucks ... I was sort of looking forward to a DIY part. BTW, while you are in there messing around, don't forget to give some TLC to the other side.

Jim

Also check the condition of the shock mount where the control arm connects to the cowl flap. I just found the shock mount on our right side cowl flap split all the way through while I was doing an oil change. Fortunately "just" a $30 part and a couple rivets.

The shock mount is the small part at the top of the 2nd photo in post #28.

Shucks ... I was sort of looking forward to a DIY part. BTW, while you are in there messing around, don't forget to give some TLC to the other side.

Jim

Sorry Jimbo. My head was definitely in high gear about how I was going to go about making one, but in the end, a hunnerd dolla bill got me what I needed. Yeah, I've already been looking at the left side. It has a little wiggle in it. Annual is coming up in another month or so, and I think we'll work on it too.

Also check the condition of the shock mount where the control arm connects to the cowl flap. I just found the shock mount on our right side cowl flap split all the way through while I was doing an oil change. Fortunately "just" a $30 part and a couple rivets.

The shock mount is the small part at the top of the 2nd photo in post #28.

Yes. The new flap will get a new hinge and a new shock mount. The left side doesn't have a shock mount. Just a doubled up aluminum tab with a bolt hole in it. That's actually what the parts manual diagram shows for my model, but I was planning to convert to shock mounts on both. However, the only thing that bothers me is that the only thing keeping it together is that metal ring around the rubber.

However, the only thing that bothers me is that the only thing keeping it together is that metal ring around the rubber.

Well, we had this plane for over 12 years, and this the first time we've had to touch these shock mounts. The one on the left side is fine. To the best of my knowledge, I think this may have been an original part from 40 years ago.

Well, we had this plane for over 12 years, and this the first time we've had to touch these shock mounts. The one on the left side is fine. To the best of my knowledge, I think this may have been an original part from 40 years ago.

Roger. I'm confident that is the better setup.

Back