Cessna 172 or 172SP for trainer? Thoughts

??? 172s had bladders?:confused:

I'm with you, here... I don't think they've had bladders for a long time, now. But I could be wrong...

Regardless, if one is training, one doesn't care about cost of bladder replacement. 13 drains is a PITA to check, and it's real easy to forget one or two. It's just another small but annoying strike against these newer 'hawks- as trainers, not as airplanes in general... it's a good plane.

??? 172s had bladders?:confused:

They did pre-1996, didn't they? :dunno:

According to Wikipedia (the source of all that is true ;)) the wet wing became an option on the 172P. I'm pretty sure bladders were standard equipment before the R and SP came out. But, I dunno. :dunno:

I'm with you, here... I don't think they've had bladders for a long time, now. But I could be wrong...

Regardless, if one is training, one doesn't care about cost of bladder replacement. 13 drains is a PITA to check, and it's real easy to forget one or two. It's just another small but annoying strike against these newer 'hawks- as trainers, not as airplanes in general... it's a good plane.

I've gotten used to the drains, and can dispense with them very quickly. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 all in one sample. Check for water and color, and pitch. Same with the three underneath, and then on to the other wing. At least with these models you don't have to be "Stretch Armstrong" by pulling the valve in the oil access door and catch the sample underneath.

pulling the valve in the oil access door and catch the sample underneath.

Cause I always catch the sample . . . never jus squirt on the ground.

~ Christopher

after reading the advice i decided to stick with the sp.

Back