Cessna 150 "late" model instrument panel retrofit

mtuomi

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
dera
Hi All,

I'm thinking of purchasing a C150 for IR training, and I was wondering if there is any way to retrofit the "later" style instrument panel (1969->) to the 1966->1968 C150?

On the later style, you can fit a "standard" sixpack with NAV gauges, on the older one, you need to fit the VOR/LOC gauges somewhere else.

So, is it possible to retrofit the later style instrument panel to the older one, and would it be financially feasible (as in, is the mount panel the only difference between them, and would the later style bolt straight in?

Hi All,

I'm thinking of purchasing a C150 for IR training, and I was wondering if there is any way to retrofit the "later" style instrument panel (1969->) to the 1966->1968 C150?

On the later style, you can fit a "standard" sixpack with NAV gauges, on the older one, you need to fit the VOR/LOC gauges somewhere else.

So, is it possible to retrofit the later style instrument panel to the older one, and would it be financially feasible (as in, is the mount panel the only difference between them, and would the later style bolt straight in?

Join the Cessna 150-152 Club. There's a club member that will sell you metal panels to replace what you have that is custom cut by a computer controlled flow jet cutter to fit whatever model of 150 you have. You'd need to have an A&P install it and fill out the 337. I would have purchased one from him in a heartbeat but I had already made them for my own airplane the old fashioned way--it was a ton of work. His price is way less than what I would have charged doing it my way and his product is beautiful (so's mine if I do say so myself). Depending on the year/model, he may have some examples to show you.

Join the Cessna 150-152 Club. There's a club member that will sell you metal panels to replace what you have that is custom cut by a computer controlled flow jet cutter to fit whatever model of 150 you have. You'd need to have an A&P install it and fill out the 337. I would have purchased one from him in a heartbeat but I had already made them for my own airplane the old fashioned way--it was a ton of work. His price is way less than what I would have charged doing it my way and his product is beautiful (so's mine if I do say so myself). Depending on the year/model, he may have some examples to show you.

Great advice, thanks! Have you got an idea roughly what the cost would be?

Great advice, thanks! Have you got an idea roughly what the cost would be?

I have a 76 model M and cessna wants around $900 just for the plastic lower panel overlay; Cessna is the only source for that year's part. You could probably get the whole panel (uppers and lower) in custom cut aircraft grade aluminum with powdercoating and graphics for substantially less than that one cheap plastic part. The guy that does them sometimes offers them on EBay.

Hi All,

The panel that actually carries the instruments is mounted to the boot cowl with rubber lord mounts, I do not know if the hole pattern in the two different models are the same.

Making the panel its self is not a big deal, there are several companies that provide this service.

Just keep in mind some instrument arrangements will block the control yoke movement.

Plus the manufacturing the new vac system hoses to hook it all up, is not cheap.

The shape of the boot cowl of the '66 150F is different from the later ones.

1966 C-150F:

cessna_150f_pnl.jpg

1967 C-150G:

cessna_150g_pnl.jpg

1969 C-150J:

cessna_150j_pnl.jpg

Back