Certificated Pilot, Discover Diagnoses from Childhood

A

AnonymousP

So as the title says, I'm a young, certificated (CFI, CFII, MEI) pilot. I hold a 1st class, first medical. Filled out MedXpress "to the best of my knowledge".

Recently discovered that the therapists (otherwise nonreportable, it was family counseling) my family saw during my teenage years gave me an official depression diagnosis. Medicated, single SSRI. No suicidal attempts. One hospital inpatient for depressive episode. Less than 6 months of medication. Happened almost a decade ago. Confirmed with records from caregiver. One note for digestive issues. No reoccurences or symptoms since. No other medical/crime/ticket issues. Certificates in good standing.

Turns out this is an omission, inadvertently, on the 8500. I obviously had planned on this being a career as I invested a significant amount of money in my training. I'd like to rectify with the FAA and try to get a SI so that I can continue with the career. Grounded myself since I learned of it. Hoping to get a chime in from Dr. Chien before I reach out directly.

it happened ... seek out a good HIMS AME for a consultation.

With only one incident and no recurrences, seems like might be certifiable on path 1.

Yes, reach out to Dr. Chien to start the evaluations needed.

See links and more information at http://tinyurl.com/faaMedicalInfo for more information in the meantime if desired.

It happened in your teens - its less than decade - and you don't remember? You don't recall you took a drug daily in your teens for 6 months? And you were hospitalized for a depressive episode over the last decade and don't remember?

That's a problem in and of itself. . . .

Last edited:
It happened in your teens - its less than decade - and you don't remember? You don't recall you took a drug daily in your teens for 6 months? And you were hospitalized for a depressive episode over the last decade and don't remember?

That's a problem in and of itself. . . .

The chronology and details of the event and how it is typed up differ. After reading through numerous other threads, I only included information that seemed pertinent to the criteria of seeking a SI.

I have recollection of the events. I never knew there was an official diagnosis and that my late night hospital visit to run tests that ended in only a recommendation for family counseling was considered as an inpatient admittance. Form 8500 only asks for admission, not outpatient, and only counseling in the last 3 years. Medication was along the lines of "here take this, it'll make you feel better" and was ended shortly in favor of psychotherapy/counseling. I only listed "less than 6 months" as that is a criteria cut-off.

To your point, I'll probably have to take psych eval and cog screen anyways, so any potential memory deficit will be found then.

I'm moreso curious to the fact that I already hold certificates. I know, legally, revocation of the medical and any certs is fairly standard. I'm trying to get ahead of the curve, salvage the situation, and do right by the FAA by being transparent in hopes of continuing flying.

Do you have a medical condition that would make you unable to meet the requirements of your medical? Is your medical necessary for whatever you were doing?
I agree - you possess the certificate - you can use it until revoked or surrendered.

A lot of these questions are 'Have you EVER. . . ' - not knowing the Dx at 13 is understandable - not knowing the Dx at 16 less so. Again - none of us are against you flying and all of us understand the urgent need to psych's to get paid from insurance and the pressure to produce a Dx - but you did say you were hospitalized for depression. Thats a YUGE red flag to the AMD - and you're gonna have to have a decent explanation for why it was not disclosed and why you didn't know. Bruce is top notch and great consultant - but - and this is a yuge one - you need to see someone local who can continue the follow up and weekly and monthly visits - you need to get every since piece of paper or EMR immediately - and review them - yourself and with Bruce.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back