Certificated aircraft flown as LSA, which ADS-B equipment?

Todd82

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Todd
Let's say you live near a Class B veil and are looking at a LSA capable Ercoupe that currently doesn't have a transponder.

If you use the Ercoupe under only LSA rules, do you need to get all certificated ADS-B equipment for it, or could you get the much cheaper LSA/Exp options??

Four grains of salt needed -- BUT -- I believe whatever your ARROW docs say drive the requirement.

I plan to install the Level Aviation "Beacon" for ADS-B out in my Ercoupe. I do have a transponder though.

It's not S-LSA, E-LSA (or E-AB) so the rules for aircraft certificated as one of those don't apply.

Thanks, I kind of figured as much just because nothing is cheap in flying.

No use doing avionics/transponder work and not just getting it over with though it seems.

I think there is about 2.5 years before it actually matters.

Don't buy in to the "shops are gonna be overloaded" crap. Let some more options come to market.

I think there is about 2.5 years before it actually matters.

Don't buy in to the "shops are gonna be overloaded" crap. Let some more options come to market.
I was more thinking along the lines of if I've gotta buy a transponder anyways, might as well get it over with once and for all. Making the full loop around the CVG veil every time I go south would be quite a PITA.

Also depending on where your flying out of Todd82, you may need it anyways.

If you are buying a transponder anyway, why not an all in one transponder/ADS-B out solution? Stratus ESG comes to mind, I have seen quotes for $3500 installed, sometimes less.

If you are buying a transponder anyway, why not an all in one transponder/ADS-B out solution? Stratus ESG comes to mind, I have seen quotes for $3500 installed, sometimes less.
There were a few "non certified" models for LSA/experimental for even less than that, that's why I was asking.

There were a few "non certified" models for LSA/experimental for even less than that, that's why I was asking.

I didn't realize that there was such a thing as a non-certified transponder. Then again, I'm not looking for one. I have seen non-certified ADS-B Out devices.

Learn something new every day!

Be carefull. The Ercoupe is not an LSA. Its a certificated aircraft that meets LSA requirements. Thats a big difference for parts and maintenance.

Back