Cert'd ADS-B In/Out

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
What have you, or are, you putting in your panel for the ADS-B?

I'm getting closer to making that decision, and wondering what route others have gone.
Currently have a 340/430W/SL-40/KT78 stack.

currently have a PM8000BT, A210, KN53 w/glideslope, and a KT76A.

Ultimately adding a GTN650 and replacing the KT76A with a GTX345.

Then selling the KT76A and an iLevel ARHS mini G.

I'm 95% sure I'll be replacing my KT76A with the Garmin GTX-345 in the next couple of months.

Cheers,
Brian

124 has the Lynx NGT9000. I like it. Talks to the Aspen, G430W and the iPad. the touch screen interface and integral traffic/weather display is nice.

Was looking at the Lynx 9000 special in May but decided to hold off. Hoping for something cheaper over the next year. If not, early 2018 I'll look at getting the 9000 again.

124 has the Lynx NGT9000. I like it. Talks to the Aspen, G430W and the iPad. the touch screen interface and integral traffic/weather display is nice.

No iPad. Does it talk only to Apple portables? That's gonna be a no go for me.

Has WiFi output. Info on their web page is as follows

All systems provide 14 CFR 91.227 compliance. A Wi-Fi interface module is available for connectivity to iPad® and Android™ devices with applications such as WingX Pro and SkyRadar (other apps pending). All Lynx MSS models incorporate a rule compliant position source (WAAS/GPS) requiring no external GPS connections.

Guessing it is some variant of the GDL-39 protocol. I'd talk to the folks at L3 for compatibility with your tablet.

I got the 345/210 combo and it seems to be fine. I've got about 2 hours on it, so no real time to tinker. I had a GDL88 in my Archer and liked it.

Flight plan uploads is nice.

Right now it looks like my only options are

Opt out of going ADSB

Or navworx with 1200 "stealth mode"

I could just ES my 330, but I'm not comfortable with the data it always sends.

I'll wait till 2019 1/2

Currently have a 340/430W/SL-40/KT78 stack.

The Bendix King KT-74 (and the Trigg TT31) transponders will fit into your KT78 tray and work for ADS-B out with the 430w as its position source. See the BK website:

http://www.bendixking.com/Products/Navigation-Communication/Transponders/KT-74

Originally they were only approved for mode S operation in the older trays, but that changed in 2015 with a transponder firmware upgrade so that they now function in those trays for ADS-B, too. There are some compromises, but I found them minor. I had to forego audio alerts from the transponder (not an issue for me because I don't use it to monitor altitude), and it requires the altitude encoder to be connected via parallel (Gray code) connection (which just about all but Garmin encoders support). Based on the differences in quotes between the shops that understood this and quoted with the old tray, and the shops that did not and insisted on replacing the tray, it can represent a $400 to $600 labor savings.

I went with a KT-74 connected to my existing 530w and ACK encoder. Works great.

Someone make comparison chart; model, price, compatibilities, capabilities, etc

I'm waiting until 2018, when our airport is scheduled to have a new runway built and be totally closed down for the year anyhow. But I'm leaning toward the KT-74. Our plane has a 430W and a KT-76A. That just screams for this unit. And the price is right, at least for buying the transponder itself. How much should we set aside for an encoder (assuming a new one is necessary) and installation?

Portables don't satisfy the ads-b out.

430w & 330ES, early expensive adopter of ads-b out. It works and that's about all that can be said about it. Some of the newer transponders have more features as already mentioned. I needed ES to maintain aircraft certification to 20,000'. Can add panel connection to ipad through an Aspen box. Can add ads-b in through another Aspen box and antenna.

Someone make comparison chart; model, price, compatibilities, capabilities, etc

Too many variables. Especially remote mounted all-in-one boxes which would likely end up being the most expensive in labor.

Replaced the Garmin 327 transponder with a Garmin 330 es,have a 430 w 530 w also use foreflight and stratus two.

I see three choices. In no particular order:
GTX330ES
GTX345
Lynx

I have a FreeFlight Rangr. I'd have to go look which model. Was already in the plane when I bought it.

Edit: Mine is a Rangr FDL-978 XVRL

Last edited:
Went with the Navworx. Pretty easy install. I didn't have a waas GPS, so integral made sense. The transmon control off the transponder cable saved a lot of time and $. So far, so good. Really liking the traffic and wx displayed on the mx20.
Over 18k really isn't an isdue for me, though I understand upgrading to 1090es may be possiblein the future.

Since installation is under supervision, I'm about $2k all in. That is, if the rebate materializes.

Last edited:
that there sounds like a challenge!

Go for it. I expect to see everything about each one. Some boxes cannot work with legacy encoders. Some boxes don't display weather or traffic depending on what it wired to. Some boxes have WiFi or bluetooth and only work with certain electronic flight bag software. Some have optional sensors. Some are remote, others are panel mounted. Some have internal AHRS and unswitched audio outputs.

Just one box explaining how it works with displays...

I'm looking forward to your report.

I'm 2300 all in on a 330ES. My GDL39 does fine for in. So far, it's been all I need. If I need an in solution later, I'll address that, but for now, I'm happy. That's driven by a 400W, which is also plenty for what I need.

530W and 330ES. Works well with foreflight and a stratus 2. Doubt I'll do anything else...

I'm 2300 all in on a 330ES. My GDL39 does fine for in. So far, it's been all I need. If I need an in solution later, I'll address that, but for now, I'm happy. That's driven by a 400W, which is also plenty for what I need.
That price seems low for a 330ES and installation costs. Did you already have a 330?

Mine is in the radio shop while they work up an estimate. I need the audio box, gps, transponer, and waas gps. They are also talking rewiring and rebuilding the panel. Last guess was something north of 30k for the hardware. I started this because the radios went south. But there is no sense in replacing the radios without the other stuff.
I like the LYNX 9000 and last I knew, they had discounted it by 2K.

GDL88 with Flightstream 210 coupled to my 530W

I'm an iPad user with foreflight, system works great and flight plan loading is so much easier.

We had a Garmin GTX345 put in, despite my pushing for a Lynx 9000, but when you are in a club with 15 people, the majority rules. My reasoning is that the Lynx has a display, so if there is traffic and your iPad is put away or the battery died, you can see where they are. Also, the Lynx uses wifi to pair with your devices vs the GTX using bluetooth. We are now running into an issue with the GTX only allowing a total of 13 devices to be paired with the system, so every time you go to fly, you have to delete someone else's device out of the memory, and if you don't delete your device when you are done flying, the next guy has to do the same procedure. Also, the GTX won't work with fltplan go, so you need to spend $100+ on a paid app.

I put the Garmin GDL in the bonanza and the L3 transponder in the 172. Unfortunately, I contacted another shop for the installation of P2's landing gear audio unit and they are backed up for 6 months because of ADS_B installations. Also if you chose to use the L3 solution, they do not tell you it is an additional $700 plus labor to unlock the unit to have voice annunciation of traffic. Unbelievable. With the unlock and firmware upgrade it ended up costing me an addition $1k.

Last edited:
I put the Garmin GDL in the bonanza and the L2 transponder in the 172. Unfortunately, I contacted another shop for the installation of P2's landing gear audio unit and they are backed up for 6 months because of ADS_B installations. Also if you chose to use the L3 solution, they do not tell you it is an additional $700 plus labor to unlock the unit to have voice annunciation of traffic. Unbelievable. With the unlock and firmware upgrade it ended up costing me an addition $1k.

Is the extra $700 only for voice annunciation of the ADS-B In traffic only, or do you have an active traffic annunciation?

To have traffic annunciation on the L3, I had to pony up an additional 1K ($700 for the unlock key and 300 for the firmware upgrade.) It has not caught any ADS_B traffic in the short time it has been added so I can not answer your question. My GDL 88 has voice and where I fly (FDK), having to keep looking at the L3 in addition to looking outside for traffic is a serious limitation. I would have gone for a different route if I had known of the additional unlock code. The GDL 88 has annunciated traffic which is a wake up call that really gets your attention. I usually see the traffic on the iPad before the GDL annunciates traffic. The L3 is useless without voice annunciation unless you put the unit where you have your audio panel (top of stack). I can not believe that it is an add on cost.

Back