Cell phone ringtone

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
I finally (after 2 1/2 years) upgraded my cell phone to a LG VX8300 this morning and all of my contacts were transferred successfully.

The problem is that I have a ringtone on my old cell phone that I liked using (theme song to Law & Order) that I can't seem to download any longer on Verizon's network (to my new phone). Does anyone know what I can do to either get the ringtone or another place I can download it from onto my cell phone (on Verizon's network)??

Thanks,
Jason

Jason,

If it's not available on Verizon's "get it now" feature, you can't load it into the phone. And I don't believe it's transferrable phone-phone, they want you to buy it again.

Were it me, I'd call Verizon and ask how to transfer it. And I might be a bit vociferous if they say "can't transfer, buy it again".

BTW, if it was a pre-loaded ringtone indigenous to your original phone, you won't find it on the network, and you won't be able to transfer it.

bill

wsuffa said:
Jason,

If it's not available on Verizon's "get it now" feature, you can't load it into the phone. And I don't believe it's transferrable phone-phone, they want you to buy it again.

Were it me, I'd call Verizon and ask how to transfer it. And I might be a bit vociferous if they say "can't transfer, buy it again".

BTW, if it was a pre-loaded ringtone indigenous to your original phone, you won't find it on the network, and you won't be able to transfer it.

bill

Hi Bill,

I took your advise and called Verizon's Customer Support or at least that's what they call it. The gal I spoke to had basically no idea what to do and that I should purchase a USB cable even though my old phone doesn't support it.

Anyways, she reminded me that it is a weekend-day so airtime is free, so I went on "Get it Now" and downloaded a Sony app instead of Verizon's own app and they had it, so I bought it. Not as good a tone as the one on my old phone, but its close enough.

Thanks,
Jason

do you use different tones for different people? I started doing that, as well as their photo as ID - pretty cool. some of the tones make me laugh. I have "Greensleeves" (one of the generically loaded ones) for a friend of mine who has a PHD in History - always makes me giggle when he calls.

woodstock said:
do you use different tones for different people? I started doing that, as well as their photo as ID - pretty cool. some of the tones make me laugh. I have "Greensleeves" (one of the generically loaded ones) for a friend of mine who has a PHD in History - always makes me giggle when he calls.
Funeral March for the girlfriend ;)

Last edited:
alaskaflyer said:
Funeral March for the girlfriend ;)

which of course she doesn't know about, because she never hears your phone when she calls, right?

or do you mean you have it, in case she finds out. :D

woodstock said:

Yup, it's nice to be able to know whos calling you without having to look, and you can also identify if you do/don't have to pick up the phone for that person based on the ringer alone. Personally, I use the theme to Law & Order for my dad since we are both Law & Order fanatics.

Now my next task is to figure out if you can record a voice memo and set that as your ring tone on the LG VX 8300...it'd be cool to have a clip of a busy Memphis Center frequency when my friend, a controller who works ZME calls me.

a friend of mine bought a phone recently that does it, I don't recall which one. she had fun playing with it - one friend said " (M), answer the ^&&*%$ phone"

hahaha

If you have an MP3 that you want as a ringtone and your phone will accept mp3 tones, here's a tutorial that could help you get whatever you want as your ringtone for free (messaging charges apply) :)

This may take a few tries, and I certainly don't say it works for everyone, but it's worth a shot.

Download WavePad: http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/masters.html

Find the mp3 you like, and cut it down to about 30 seconds in length, maybe even 45, but more than that is just a waste. Get the best part. You may want to change the file to Mono instead of Stereo to try to cut down on filesize (if it's over 500K, the network may not accept it as an attachment). Now you can try to email it to your phone using the messaging email address associated with your account... if you don't know it, send an email to yourself from the phone. If the file is rejected by the network, which it may be, change the extension on the filename to .mid instead of .mp3. The network will see a midi file, which is more acceptable (at least on verizon) than an mp3, and will send the file to the phone. Then save the file on the phone and set it as a ringtone. Tada. Just saved 3 bucks. Your mileage may vary, and you may have to tweak settings to get things the way you want, but man I loved my Zelda ringtone when I had my E815. :D Now with the Treo 700p, I just put whatever on there. :)

HPNPilot1200 said:
Now my next task is to figure out if you can record a voice memo and set that as your ring tone on the LG VX 8300...it'd be cool to have a clip of a busy Memphis Center frequency when my friend, a controller who works ZME calls me.

Try to get some clips recorded off of streams using the Wave Recorder that Windows has (WavePad may do it too..) then follow the instructions I listed. Good luck :)

If you can access the internet from your phone I would use this website. I use it a lot. It sends the file to your phone, via the internet and files from your computer. http://mobile17.smashsworld.com/shell/ give it a shot. free and works for me.

woodstock said:
a friend of mine bought a phone recently that does it, I don't recall which one. she had fun playing with it - one friend said " (M), answer the ^&&*%$ phone"

hahaha
I remember hearing that at breakfast that morning. It was hilarious!

My default ring tone is "Hey, God here, pick up the phone. Let's chat".
The looks I get are priceless.
My wife's number plays "Hello Darling" by Conway Twitty
A good friend's ring is "Just a good ole boy" by Waylon Jennings
My drinking buddy's (when not flying or driving of course) ring is "Whisky river" by Willie Nelson
Gotta have fun with those tones!

Last edited:
I might suggest Xingtone Ringtone Maker. Look on download.com. Just grab a MP3/WAV file and it will convert and upload it for you. The first 10 are free, then you have to pay $30 for the software.

I've got the theme song to "The Unit" on mine and sent the "NCIS" theme to my wife's phone. The hardest part is finding the audio files to be converted!

If the phone uses mp3, you can find them all over the internet. Specific ringtones can be gotten from ppcgeeks.com. While the site is specifically Pocket PC related, if your phone uses MP3s, any would work. I particularly liked the JETSON's doorbell.
One thing I found out is you have to be careful with the sites offering so called free ringtones. "Send a text message to 46666 to start downloading your free ringtones now." What that got me was a subscription for $10 a month to a service I can't seem to cancel (tried their convenient 800 number - no answer, tried cancel, unsubscribe, and various other words the filters won't allow me to share in numerous $.10 text messages, and verizon's support all without success).
Verizon offered to block all text messages but that was all they could do.
On a more recent call, the person at Verizon gave me back my $10, promised that she'd followed the procedures in unsubscribing me, and noted all this in the account should I get billed again. Fortunately, calling them is a free call.

Back