Cell Phone Plan

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
im shopping around for a new plan. Currently Im with US Cellular and it basically blows. Im somthing like 55/month for 1000 minutes, but Im roaming when Im back home which is a major PIA. their coverage is spotty and i havent been impressed. a new phone would obviously come too. Note the attached picture and realize that I need something durable.

I dont text
Talk 900 minutes a month at the very most, usually much less
want good coverage over at least MN, IA, IL, MO, KS, NE
picture capability is optional
keep it cheapish

what do you guys got for me?

NO iPHONES!!! :D

Attachments

• DSC01127.JPG
    DSC01127.JPG
    149.3 KB · Views: 18
Rachel and I are somewhat in this boat right now. She's coming up on the magical "two year" time frame on her contract and since she normally blows through her minutes in two weeks, we're shopping for a better plan.

I use Verizon, which is $55 for 450 minutes nation-wide (which seems like a joke nowadays). I like the coverage VZW offers - I've never NOT had service when at work or when scooting across the country in the RV - but the price isn't very friendly. Fortunately I don't talk much on the phone, so the 450 minutes does me fine.

I'm interested in Alltell for Rachel's next plan. With their "my circle" deal, she can put her mom, sister, brother on her list and not have to worry about going over on minutes.

Phone at this point is a moot point -- if you're getting a new plan/provider, the 'free' phones are actually pretty decent nowadays.

So basically, I typed all this info to say "I dunno". :D

im shopping around for a new plan. Currently Im with US Cellular and it basically blows.

I've been fairly happy with Cingular so far. The only place I haven't been able to get any service whatsoever is a small chunk of far western Montana. Heck, I even managed to make a pretty long call from 6Y9, though that required standing under a power line, extending my left arm, and inhaling deeply. :rofl:

Verizon has good customer service and good coverage, but a lot of their policies stink which is why I left.

Both of the above should have some free-with-contract phones that will work fine. I've had good luck with Sony Ericsson and Nokia phones, not so impressed with Motorola.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT even think about Sprint. :vomit: And they bought Nextel, so... There goes that.

Oh, and FWIW, I pay around $95/mo for 1400 minutes shared between two phones, Pilot My-Cast, free weekends and nights that start at 7 PM, and unlimited data. Cingular also does rollover so if I do go over it'll tap into the 3000 or so minutes that I haven't used over the last 6 months instead of charging some exorbitant per-minute fee.

Last edited:
I've been fairly happy with Cingular so far. The only place I haven't been able to get any service whatsoever is a small chunk of far western Montana. Heck, I even managed to make a pretty long call from 6Y9, though that required standing under a power line, extending my left arm, and inhaling deeply.

I'm also using Cingular and have found coverage to be pretty good where I go (even worked in China). The sound quality and dropped call rates aren't all that great though. I do like the rollover since I rarely, but occasionally go over my limit.

when cingular says "Unlimited mobile to mobile" does that mean any mobile or just any other Cingular mobile?

I'm in a similar situation. I'm moving to a new house about 20 miles from present.
It's an old town(1605) near the ocean with the thrills of no cable for TV and no high speed Internet. I'll be on a hill and I'm told that the old-type antenna with rotor should get me ABC, CBS, NBC, and Public TV. Decent!!

I checked with my U. S. Cellular office and learned that I'll have roaming charges there. "Huh?" "Verizon has a closer tower," she said.

So, off I went to Verizon. The 450 minute plan is, all-in-all, better than U.S. Cellular; and then the lady told me that she can tie high speed Internet into my cellular plan. Broadband, however, won't be available for about another year. 'Nuff said; that'll do away with the need for satellite for Internet.
Oh, and I'm going to go without a land line telephone.

HR

Last edited:
If you're going to be in the sticks a lot, your choices are Verizon or Sprint. Sprint's customer service is the worst. Of practically any company of any kind. Verizon is decent.

VZ and Sprint still have the ability to let you roam in analog areas if you have a multi-mode phone. That's why I chose VZ (and VZ over Sprint because at the time Sprint refused to do 1 year contracts - VZ allowed them).

I'm going on 2 years with VZ, and it's been generally hassle free. And it's been rare that the phone has had no coverage. I did go with Sprint for EvDO data because their terms/conditions were much, much better.

thanks bill. its looking like verizon may be just the way to go. a little birdie told me not to worry too much about analog as everythign is going digital soon. i assume all the new phones are still multi mode though?

thanks bill. its looking like verizon may be just the way to go. a little birdie told me not to worry too much about analog as everythign is going digital soon. i assume all the new phones are still multi mode though?

Well.... the major carriers want to shut down analog in their service areas but the FCC won't let them do that for another year or so. In the very rural areas (where there is no digital now), analog is likely to be around for a while longer.

Phones may or may not be multi-mode. You will have to ask and do your research to make sure you're being told the truth. I expect that the major carriers may not sell phones with analog as we get closer to the date. Multi-mode phones should be available for a while on EBay, however.

our friend told me that the analog wipeout was part of hte FCC part 22 rewrite. anywho, thanks for the info Bill!

I've got Verizon and have been quite happy with it. The only beef I've got with them is you can't use a phone with a memory card, or whatever it is that allows you to switch handsets by moving the sim card. It even worked in a small town in Mexico some 700 miles south of Houston. I have never had a coverage problem in middle America and we do a lot of work for Union Pacific RR out there. Canada? no problem there either.
Pretty happy camper overall.

Nope, they're not all multi, many new units are purely digital (as stated above, in the near future it won't matter, but I have done analog roaming a few times in the past year).

I have Sprint. It's everything Bill says and more (less). But I have a very old plan and have not found anything that can top it.

I have 1000 anytime minutes and 1000 evening/weekend minutes, and pay $79. First incoming minute is free. Don't have nationwide long distance though (had to choose inside my own state, or the rest of the country... at the time, the bulk of my calling was inside Michigan). Currently, I am paying local for Nevada and long distance to Michigan, which sucks. But I also have no contract (one reason I won't switch, don't want a contract).

Sprint charges too much for their phones, even with a 2 year contract (which provides a $150 discount). I get past this by buying used Sprint phones on eBay (need to verify a clear ESN with Sprint before bidding, which sellers have begun to understand). I am still using the Motorola Star Tac, and have I think 2 more in reserve.... along with a collection of broken ones! :D

If I had to switch now, I think I'd be looking at Cingular. But as bad as Sprint's customer service (and attitude) is, the fact is their coverage and quality is as good as it gets.

I get past this by buying used Sprint phones on eBay (need to verify a clear ESN with Sprint before bidding, which sellers have begun to understand). I am still using the Motorola Star Tac, and have I think 2 more in reserve.... along with a collection of broken ones! :D

Be very careful on this. I have heard from several (unhappy) folks that Sprint will outright refuse to activate any phone that doesn't say "Sprint" on it. Even if the phone is 100% identical to a phone that another carrier might use. Apparently they block the ESNs of non-Sprint-labeled phones.

I guess this might qualify for "going to be in the sticks a lot." However, better on a hill than in a valley. Seven miles to U.S. Route 1, turn right for 5.5 miles to my hangar; on the "other" side of Bath Iron Works[Shipbuilder] where more employees travel from/to the South than the North; and not far from the ocean.
......... totally wound-up for the June 01 closing.

HR

Attachments

• GeorgetownA.jpg
    GeorgetownA.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 5
  • GeorgetownB.jpg
    GeorgetownB.jpg
    268.6 KB · Views: 4
Well.... the major carriers want to shut down analog in their service areas but the FCC won't let them do that for another year or so. In the very rural areas (where there is no digital now), analog is likely to be around for a while longer.

Phones may or may not be multi-mode. You will have to ask and do your research to make sure you're being told the truth. I expect that the major carriers may not sell phones with analog as we get closer to the date. Multi-mode phones should be available for a while on EBay, however.

our friend told me that the analog wipeout was part of hte FCC part 22 rewrite. anywho, thanks for the info Bill!

The sunset on required analog service is 18 Feb 2008. After that there is no requirement to have an analog channel and service available. Many carrier plan on immediately shutting down analog service where they already have digital service.

No one in the market makes an analog only phone any longer. Grandma may be inconvenienced as her emergency phone in the glove box that she bought ten years ago will not work but other than that it should not be a problem. In some rural areas there is only analog coverage.

But this has been coming for a long time and many rural operators have been adding digital coverage. A lot of phones will only support digital so they will need to expand coverage if they expect to benefit from that revenue stream.

If you're going to be in the sticks a lot, your choices are Verizon or Sprint.

VZ and Sprint still have the ability to let you roam in analog areas if you have a multi-mode phone.

Believe it or not, Cingular's digital coverage, IME, has been as good as Verizon's digital + analog coverage. Very few dead spots.

when cingular says "Unlimited mobile to mobile" does that mean any mobile or just any other Cingular mobile?

Cingular mobile, just like every other mobile carrier. They want you to get all your friends and family to use 'em too ya know.

I'm also using Cingular and have found coverage to be pretty good where I go (even worked in China). The sound quality and dropped call rates aren't all that great though.

I do still drop a fair number of calls, but it's less than I dropped on Verizon. Besides, every time a call is dropped and I call 'em back I can say "Did you know that Cingular has the fewest dropped calls of any nationwide carrier?" :rofl:

looking at cingulars coverage, it seems to be excellent in wisconsin/illiniois and decent in iowa...as long as you are on an interstate.

Be very careful on this. I have heard from several (unhappy) folks that Sprint will outright refuse to activate any phone that doesn't say "Sprint" on it. Even if the phone is 100% identical to a phone that another carrier might use. Apparently they block the ESNs of non-Sprint-labeled phones.
Seems there is something different about their network (or I'm a naive non-techhie :D) but I've always known their phones won't work on others systems and vice versa. I always check the ESN with Sprint prior to buying, and that will cover whether it is on their system, and whether the account is clear (if there is an outstanding balance associated with the ESN, they won't activate unless it's settled).

My only problem came from the one time I didn't get the ESN's, the seller was reluctant to give them out. Listed as Sprint, and assured me there'd be no trouble activating. Sent me two phones that it turned out were NOT Sprint. Seller was miffed I wanted to return. Saving grace, she was local (....and I knew where she lived :target:....:D) so I returned them, got a refund, and good feedback all around :yes:. Since then, won't think of bidding without the ESN.

I guess this might qualify for "going to be in the sticks a lot." However, better on a hill than in a valley. Seven miles to U.S. Route 1, turn right for 5.5 miles to my hangar; on the "other" side of Bath Iron Works[Shipbuilder] where more employees travel from/to the South than the North; and not far from the ocean.
......... totally wound-up for the June 01 closing.

HR

Hey, JerryHarleyLawreston:

My Grandfather was a Naval Architect at Bath. WW-I was a busy time!

Your new place looks like a dream. I'll look forward, some day, to visiting, as my son expresses the absolute determination to see Maine.

There's absolutely no reason that yon hither single person needs 3 BR, 2 Full Baths, 2 "1/2" Baths...................... but the time and place was right. In short, there's plenty of room for visitors, even on short notice. Y'all come, y'heah?

HR

well i went ahead and switched to verizon. it was quick and painless. got a new Razr. The sales lady took one look at my old phone and told me that I had better buy these clip on covers to protect it. Probably a good thing she did...getting ready to go to the airport yesterday morning I stepped squarely on the phone. Thank you verizon lady!

. . . . and whereas I thought Verizon was "in the cards" for me because of being able to deliver cellular and Internet via cell tower I've learned that Cingullar is the magic word for my new residential area. They have three cell towers in the Georgetown and Five Islands area. And there's a story behind that.

It seems that somebody "frum awaaayyyy" bought some property in my new area and built a very large vacation home. He soon, allegedly, became incensed that cell phone coverage was n-d-g. The story is that he had the connections, raised a stink and, as a result Cingullar built three towers in what had been a Verizon foothold. And Cingullar will carry forward any unused minutes. Deal!

HR

Back