Cecil County Airport (58M) Shutting Down

SkyVoyager

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
SkyVoyager
I just received notice that Cecil County Airport (58M) in Elkton, Maryland is shutting down. I now have to find a place to relocate my aircraft. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good place to relocate in the MD/DE/PA area? (perhaps EVY or ILG?)

Thanks!

For those unaware, 58M is a privately-owned public-use airport. I'd heard they were having serious financial problems, so it's not much of a surprise to me. I imagine the creditors will take the property and sell it to developers.

I just received notice that Cecil County Airport (58M) in Elkton, Maryland is shutting down. I now have to find a place to relocate my aircraft. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good place to relocate in the MD/DE/PA area? (perhaps EVY or ILG?)

Thanks!

Depends where you live. If you live in the Elkton/Newark area I would look at N57 (New Garden) In PA. If you live a little bit more south, Summit in DE might work. Wilmington (KILG) is another option but hangars, if available, are pricey. If you live further west, take a look at Smoketown (S37), decent hanger rates.

Aww shucks. I landed there once--nice little airport. When's it finally shutting down?

wow, that's quick to get a new place to park. Any idea what is happening to the maintenance service on the field there? They are a good group of guys.

Thanks!

That sucks.........

I guess my questions are.

1- if the runway is 3000' long, why do they sell Jet A.:dunno:

2- Looks like 57 aircraft based there... The income alone should get the airport afloat..:dunno:.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/58M

1- if the runway is 3000' long, why do they sell Jet A.:dunno:
There are turbine-powered aircraft which do just fine on such airports.

2- Looks like 57 aircraft based there... The income alone should get the airport afloat..:dunno:.
It's not that simple. They just sank a big pile of money into new construction, and I have the feeling they didn't have the cash flow to make the payments on the construction loans. And the number you quoted may be somewhat deceptive -- based on my own observations there over a couple of weeks in January, I don't think there are that many paying customer aircraft there.

Thanks!

Tie down at red eagle (KILG) $85. T-Hangars run from $450 - $550

Well it seems nothing is getting any easier in GA. I have been going to Roger since I started flying in 2005, in a club plane and my own. It stinks that I will have to find a new place, I hope Roger relocates and stays in the business. I guess I'll be calling Monday morning to schedule my oil change on friday.

They just built the new terminal building and new hangars, what a waste of a nice airport.:nonod:

There are turbine-powered aircraft which do just fine on such airports.

yeah.. I guess of you took the displaced thresholds out of the calc, a turbine aircraft would be able to sneak in and out...

Dimensions: 2989 x 70 ft. / 911 x 21 mSurface: asphalt/aggregate friction seal coat, in good conditionRunway edge lights: medium intensityRunway edge markings: RY 31 MARKINGS FADED.Operational restrictions: RY 13/31 NO TGL.RUNWAY 13 RUNWAY 31Latitude: 39-34.556898N39-34.344713NLongitude: 075-52.473985W075-51.900218WElevation: 106.4 ft.62.2 ft.Traffic pattern: leftleftRunway heading: 128 magnetic, 116 true308 magnetic, 296 trueDisplaced threshold: 288 ft.601 ft.Markings: basic, in poor conditionnonprecision, in poor conditionVisual slope indicator: 2-light PAPI on right (5.00 degrees glide path)
TCH & GS FOR RYS 13/31 NSTD.2-light PAPI on left (4.00 degrees glide path)Runway end identifier lights: yesyesTouchdown point: yes, no lightsyes, no lightsObstructions: 90 ft. trees, 904 ft. from runway, 311 ft. left of centerline, 7:1 slope to clear
TREES +56' 190' RIGHT @THLD.66 ft. trees, 231 ft. from runway, 200 ft. left and right of centerline
+50 FT TREES 195 FT OUT 128 FT LEFT/RIGHT. +30 FT POLE 105 FT OUT 77 FT RIGHT

yeah.. I guess of you took the displaced thresholds out of the calc, a turbine aircraft would be able to sneak in and out...
I'll bet this one wouldn't even have to sneak...
S76C_0008L.jpg

...even if the runway was closed. BTW, I saw several Blackhawks flying approaches there. Here's another which would be just fine on that runway:
2008-n350fh01.jpg

Last edited:
I'll bet this one wouldn't even have to sneak.
S76C_0008L.jpg

I bet you are right..... Altho, all you need is a few turbine aircraft based there and the owners of those can just buy the airport instead of having to relocate..:dunno::rolleyes:

Tie down at red eagle (KILG) $85. T-Hangars run from $450 - $550

Well it seems nothing is getting any easier in GA. I have been going to Roger since I started flying in 2005, in a club plane and my own. It stinks that I will have to find a new place, I hope Roger relocates and stays in the business. I guess I'll be calling Monday morning to schedule my oil change on friday.

They just built the new terminal building and new hangars, what a waste of a nice airport.:nonod:

I never would have guessed Red Eagle had tie-downs. Huh.

I flew in to 58M on Saturday. Looks like it was auctioned, anyone know who bought it?

Dimensions: 2989 x 70 ft. / 911 x 21 mSurface: asphalt/aggregate friction seal coat, in good conditionRunway edge lights: medium intensityRunway edge markings: RY 31 MARKINGS FADED.Operational restrictions: RY 13/31 NO TGL.RUNWAY 13 RUNWAY 31Latitude: 39-34.556898N39-34.344713NLongitude: 075-52.473985W075-51.900218WElevation: 106.4 ft.62.2 ft.Traffic pattern: leftleftRunway heading: 128 magnetic, 116 true308 magnetic, 296 trueDisplaced threshold: 288 ft.601 ft.Markings: basic, in poor conditionnonprecision, in poor conditionVisual slope indicator: 2-light PAPI on right (5.00 degrees glide path)
TCH & GS FOR RYS 13/31 NSTD.2-light PAPI on left (4.00 degrees glide path)Runway end identifier lights: yesyesTouchdown point: yes, no lightsyes, no lightsObstructions: 90 ft. trees, 904 ft. from runway, 311 ft. left of centerline, 7:1 slope to clear
TREES +56' 190' RIGHT @THLD.66 ft. trees, 231 ft. from runway, 200 ft. left and right of centerline
+50 FT TREES 195 FT OUT 128 FT LEFT/RIGHT. +30 FT POLE 105 FT OUT 77 FT RIGHT

Those funny looking planes who's wings go around in circles and can take off vertically would be able to operate there.

Oh and OP,

Perhaps?

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=66443

58M was auctioned off October 18th and it is going to remain in operation. The new owner is from New York and I think the purchase price was around 1.35m.

The place is getting cleaned up and I would bet there will be runway improvements in the future.

58M was auctioned off October 18th and it is going to remain in operation. The new owner is from New York and I think the purchase price was around 1.35m.

The place is getting cleaned up and I would bet there will be runway improvements in the future.

That's great news! I've only flown in there once, but it was a nice little airport.

I'm assuming they threw everybody out before the auction, so I wonder if they'll give preferential treatment to the old tenants to move back in?

I'm late to this thread and never read it before, so it went from sad and depressing to happy in just minutes! Way to go!:thumbsup:

W42, Fallston has room. Ask for Sharon, owner. Just south of Bel Air, Maryland. 2200 feet with grass overrun plus grass strip beside paved runway. 100 octane and oil available. Paved strip in good shape. Gated security with push button at gate to get in. Approx 20 aircraft based there. Approx. 150 per month. 5-8 mins. Off I 95, easy to get to. Clean restrooms, clean office with lots of reading material.

Last edited:
I hope that they can keep it open. My brother-in-law live nearby and I finally have a plane that I can use to go visit him

The new owner took over the operation complete with the existing tenants, no evictions from the auction. He attended a Christmas party there a week ago and says he is committed to many improvements, has hired a new manager and purchased two aircraft for training. I believe owns to other airports. Seems like a good guy and interested in improving the place.

The new owner took over the operation complete with the existing tenants, no evictions from the auction. He attended a Christmas party there a week ago and says he is committed to many improvements, has hired a new manager and purchased two aircraft for training. I believe owns to other airports. Seems like a good guy and interested in improving the place.

That's great to hear.

Over the years I've seen this happen several times. The new owner, full of enthusiasm , is going to do many things and things will be great. Some whip out is shown and things go well......for a spell. Then reality sets in. Small airports, unless they are county owned usually have big financial problems. Cecil county looked good some time ago and for a time it seemed to do pretty well. Slowly it ran into trouble. The G.I. Bill kept a lot of them open but that's over with as I understand it. Some were Cessna or piper dealers. That's over too for the most part. Cecil county has harford air on one side, ( which has had many owners)and Wilmington airport on the other. Then there's Middletown not far away. ( which used to be owned by a DuPont, and had a lot of government work(Read CIA) so Cecil's in a tough spot to make it. Or as an FBO pal used to say, it's how you make a small fortune in aviation, ...you start with a big one.

Last edited:
Back