CDr CDrw DVD

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
What are the copying rules.. can I burn a DVD onto a CD or is the media specific? Thanks.
Also can I burn a DVD at all, I guess. How would I tell?
I can play one, I am using a newish Toshiba with one drive and XP. I think I am just using the Windows programs to burn CDs.

Let'sgoflying! said:
What are the copying rules.. can I burn a DVD onto a CD or is the media specific? Thanks.
I can play one, I am using a newish Toshiba with one drive and XP. I think I am just using the Windows programs to burn CDs.

You'll need a DVD writer, but the good news is they're extremely affordable (heck, cheap compared to replacing parts on the Super Viking!) these days. I just bought a nice dual layer USB external that does pretty much all I need: http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.aspx?EDC=705535.

The price on media has also gone down considerably and with the extra storage space available on a DVD as well as the fact that you can still write/rewrite CD's on the same device, the decision almost makes itself.

Have fun!

Regards,

Also - you can't directly go from DVD to CD - that's effectively like trying to put a gallon of milk in a 12 oz soda can. DVD's hold more than four times the amount of information than CDs.

How you go about copying media depends on the nature of the media - what specifically are you attempting to end up with?

Let'sgoflying! said:

You can burn a DVD to a CD but you'd need an eye patch because it makes you a pirate - as would burning a DVD to DVD.

To do the DVD->CD you have to crack the encryption on the DVD (which violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act) as you rip the content, then transcode it to dVix or MPEG video format, and then burn that to one or more CDs.

Sound easy? It takes 2 hours to do one on the fastest PCs going.

mikea said:
(which violates the Digital Millennium Copyright Act)

Mike, even if it is a TV show that someone copied for me one night that I want to send to someone?

Strictly speakig, Yes. You are allowed to record a show for your own viewing later. Recording it to give to someone else is a technical violation. However, getting busted for making a copy of a show you like to show to someone else is highly unlikely, unless your friend calls the FCC. (Kind of like the odds of getting busted if you give your mom a ride and she pays for gas...in the plane I mean)

All copyright issues aside, check out DVDShrink - It will copy a standard DVD movie to a 4 GB DVD assuming you have the appropriate hardware. It takes about 30 minutes to copy the DVD and another few to burn it.

I find it useful so my kids don't scratch / destroy my "real" copies.

It can be found at:

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

Scott

sshekels said:
All copyright issues aside, check out DVDShrink - It will copy a standard DVD movie to a 4 GB DVD assuming you have the appropriate hardware. It takes about 30 minutes to copy the DVD and another few to burn it.

I find it useful so my kids don't scratch / destroy my "real" copies.

It can be found at:

http://www.dvdshrink.org/what.html

Scott

Thanks for the link, Scott!

Regards,

Back