Cavu?

Teller1900

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
I am a dad!
Ok. I've figured out most of the acronyms on here. FWIW, OTOH, IMHO, ROFL...those all make sense to me. CAVU, on the other hand, has caused me some problems. I understand that it means the weather is good, but what's the actual definition? My guesses: Clear and Visibility Unlimited or Clear Above, Visibility Unlimited. Am I close?

East Coast Translation: CAVU
Clouds are virtually unavoidable

Kah-voo is it, and it's related to the old teletype codes. The other extreme is "woxof," which is really W0X0F -- which translates as "sky condition: indefinite, ceiling zero; visibility: zero." I spent a forgotten (but unforgettable) night or two in the W0X0F bar in the back of the O'Club at NAS Miramar.

Speaking of "ceiling zero," anybody remember "Ceiling Zero" -- written by "Spig" Wead, directed by Howard Hawks?

Last edited:
Quick change to this since we're talking acronyms....how about BZ? I understand Bravo Zulu - Good job, but any idea where that originated...is there a deeper meaning...one that actually uses the letters BZ?

CAVU Aviation is the name of the school I instruct for. I hear some interesting attempts at pronunciation sometimes when new customers call. Most say it as a word, and a few ask if they've reached "C-A-V-U Aviation."

I think I first heard the term from a European pilot. Seems they say it more over there.

Back