Caution Wake Turbulence

azpilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
azpilot
I flew into KTUS yesterday for the first time. This was by far the biggest airport I've ever landed at. One of the topics I reviewed before flying was wake turbulence. I ended up landing on 29R a few minutes after a 737 and departed 21 shortly after a 737 landed on 11L. I wanted to share with everyone what happened on the departure.

After completed my runnup and check list items, I pulled up to the hold line at taxiway D1 for Runway 21 and let them know I was ready to go. I got a "Hold short for landing traffic" from tower. After waiting a minute or so, a 737 landed on 11L (note, 11L and 21 don't intersect, technically speaking, but they come real close). I'm guessing the jet was about 50' above the ground when he crossed runway 21.

upload_2018-1-28_20-47-27.png

A few seconds after the jet crossed 21, tower cleared me to takeoff. I let tower know I was going to wait for a moment for wake turbulence avoidance. I pulled out the airport diagram I had printed beforehand. Runway 21 is about 7,000' long, and 11L crosses it about in the middle, so I figured I should have plenty of runway to get off the ground and climb above any wake that might be present. I ended up waiting about two minutes before I departed just to be sure. I called tower back up, they cleared me to take off, and I was out of there.

In hindsight, I probably could have gone with the original takeoff clearance. I had 2800 feet of runway, calm winds and the temp was about 50F. The 182 would have no problem climbing above whatever wake was present. But in that moment, waiting a couple of minutes seemed like the right thing to do.

Better to be on the ground thinking you probably could have departed and been ok than be fighting to control your aircraft and thinking would have been better to wait.

Ymmv but I think you handled things ok

Good call. Airliners in landing configuration create significant wakes. Generally, 2-3 minutes is sufficient for the wake to dissipate. It is really something you don't want to fly through.

I agree with others, I think you made a good call. As opposed to trying to out climb the wake (which is a good option if you have the performance to do easily), another option is to accept the clearance and do a high speed taxi prior to starting takeoff roll and rotate past the intersection. Of course if you're not in a hurry, what you did was easiest and safe.

Add me to the list of good decision. It may have been 2800' to the intersection but the wake from the 737's left wing was moving toward you if the winds were calm like you said. Interesting read in AIM 7-3-4 a. 5. about wakes 'bouncing' up

Agree with the others. Which FBO did you end up visiting? In your picture at one o'clock at the top you see two long white hangers. I'm at the left end of the one on the left.

Million Air isn't depicted but it is to the right at the top of the picture.

Last edited:
Better safe than sorry. I've had 3 wake turbulence encounters, one severe, and they are no fun.

What happened? Sounds rather uneventful to me.

Nice ADM you excercised there!

Luckily, not much happened. ;)

I was
Agree with the others. Which FBO did you end up visiting? In your picture at one o'clock at the top you see two long white hangers. I'm at the left end of the one on the left.

Million Air isn't depicted but it is to the right at the top of the picture.
We went to Million Air. It had the most convenient location for us. Plus they gave us a free crew car which was nice.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back