Catch a ride Friday morning?

Henning

Taxi to Parking
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
iHenning
Some of you may have seen a bit of this in a different thread, but the situation got deeper..
I got a miserable phone call last night. A long time friends 18 year old son had a brain aneurysm, fainted from it and took a header down 4 steps onto concrete. He's at Script's Memorial in San Diego right now brain dead. The doctors give him a 0% chance of recovery. Since he's an organ donor and his mother backs that fully (when they said they wouldn't ressucitate him she said "what do you mean? You have to or how are you going to keep his organs viable for donation?" F- how's that for a decent human being....) Basically, he has only cortical reaction right now so they have him on support right now with interspersed activity in other regions of his brain, but they need a full brain death in order to harvest the heart and lungs. So, they have him on life support waiting for the brain to die and are talking about 4 days and then harvest what they legally can. So I got a call today, "Henning, you gotta come see him and tell me what I should do. If you think he can't recover, then I don't want to keep him like this, but if he has a chance...." S--t, not what I wanted to deal with, but she's been there for me before, and I'll be damned if I won't be there for her for this. So I've got a flight into LAX arriving at 7am and I'm wondering if I could cop quick flight down with someone. If not, no worries, I'll rent a car and drive down.

All I can do is offer prayers for you and your friend. I can't imagine having to do something like this...

oh wow ... I can't even imagine. Well, just a little, maybe. I don't want to take away from this with a "me, too" story, but I saw my aunt and uncle struggle with this same decision when their son was in a car accident.

Prayers for wisdom and comfort for all involved.

Were I to be in LA tomorrow, and were I to have my plane there, I would have been glad to offer.

Unfortunately, I will neither be in LA nor have my plane there. :frown3:

I, too, am a bit far away to help (if you had friends near NY/PHL/DC would be a different matter), but offer my thoughts and prayers. That is a horrible situation, Henning, I am sorry for you and your friend.

Back