Catalytic converter stolen

Maxmosbey

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
I need to get serious.
My daughter lives in Chicago, and she called to tell me that someone cut the catalytic converter off her Jeep while it was parked at the train station today. I had never heard of such a thing, but in the last two hours I have learned that it is a huge problem. She parked it there this morning at 8:00, and it was gone at 5:30 when she got back. The cut it off in broad daylight. I guess that I have come to terms with the fact that it is going to cost me some money to get it fixed, but what about the new one. I hope it doesn't get stolen.

My daughter lives in Chicago, and she called to tell me that someone cut the catalytic converter off her Jeep while it was parked at the train station today. I had never heard of such a thing, but in the last two hours I have learned that it is a huge problem. She parked it there this morning at 8:00, and it was gone at 5:30 when she got back. The cut it off in broad daylight. I guess that I have come to terms with the fact that it is going to cost me some money to get it fixed, but what about the new one. I hope it doesn't get stolen.

Yup, big problem.... they're going for the platinum in it. There are places that will buy the catalytic converter for a premium... some makes and models have more platinum, and pay more. Those cars get targeted the most. Google it...

I wonder what an alarm costs for a 99 Jeep Cherokee? That might be a good investment if she plans on staying in the big city.

I wonder what an alarm costs for a 99 Jeep Cherokee? That might be a good investment if she plans on staying in the big city.

An under-car alarm? I'm not sure that a normal car alarm would go off when somebody uses a battery-operated sawzall on the exhaust.

Could be fun, though, for us to dream up the appropriate anti-theft measures. Ideas, guys? I vote for motion sensors that lower the vehicle just enough to pin the perpetrator. Of course, then when kid crawls under there to retrieve their basketball... never mind.

Reminds me of a time when I traded in a Jeep CJ for another car. The dealer called me and accused me of having removed the front wheel drive train. I told him that the vehicle worked fine in 4WD drive when I handed it over to him...

He later sheepishly said that they found nuts and bolts under the front end where somebody had ripped off the front driveshaft in their own lot...

Uh oh... I have a 2004 Jeep Cherokee. I've gotta wonder about it, now. At least there is security wondering around the airport when I'm down in Atlanta.

http://suvs.about.com/b/2008/01/15/catalytic-converter-theft.htm

I had to laugh at the irony of the situation. Just this weekend, I had mentioned this article from the Los Angeles Times to Aaron Gold, About.com's Guide to Cars, while we were doing a little bit of work on his car. Apparently, catalytic converter theft is an epidemic across the country because the price of platinum, one of the metals in the converter, has skyrocketed. Thieves can get $40 to $50 for a converter from an unscrupulous scrap metal dealer. Toyota 4Runners are particular targets -- not only do their catalytic converters contain plenty of platinum, their high ground clearance makes them particularly easy targets. A thief with a socket wrench can remove a 4Runner's converter in minutes.
The bad news is that it's going to cost over $1100 to affect the repair and replacement. The worse news is that there's not much I can do to protect against another theft. I'm having the dealership weld the bolts on, so that the converter won't be so easy to remove. But a thief with a reciprocating saw can still swipe a cat in no time flat.

Another source on theft issues:
http://www.heatreward.com/downloads/CatalyticConverterNewsbrief1-revised.doc

A couple replacement resources I found in the process of looking for news:
http://www.car-stuff.com/jeepcatalyticconverter.htm
http://www2.partstrain.com/store/index.php?Ntt=Catalytic%20Converter&N=1557+10854+4294967267+11921

Bah, just throw a piece of pipe on there, and forget about the cc.

Bah, just throw a piece of pipe on there, and forget about the cc.

Or if you have to go through emission inspections just buy an old converter and degut the thing (so the visual part passes). Not that I'd know anything about that :p

We don't have inspections here. :D

Or if you have to go through emission inspections just buy an old converter and degut the thing (so the visual part passes). Not that I'd know anything about that :p
I did just that on a 1979 Chevy Monza I had. I was able to keep burning the old leaded gasoline as a result, saving me a lot of money. I guess the price at the time was around 45 cents a gallon.

That stinks, what town did this happen in?

Are you and Kevin related? :D

Are you and Kevin related? :D

Chicago is a big place. A lot of people say they live in Chicago as it is easier than explaining which suburb one lives in. For instance I live in Silver Lake with a Cary mailing address but I just tell people Chicago as they understand that. Most people who are taking the train into Chicago do not actually live in the city. In fact most of the train station with car parking are in the suburbs.

Look at the Metra system map.

http://www.metrarail.com/System_map/index.html

Most of those stops are outside of the city proper.

I really don't know specifically where she lives in Chicago. I have an address, but I do not know my way around there. She drives to the train station, which is ten minutes away. I don't know how far that is in miles. Then she catches the train out to Arlington Park, where she works. She just started working there Wednesday. She said that there isn't any parking so to speak at the train station, but that there is parking on the side streets. It was parked right on the street when they took the converter. She said that the street is well traveled.

I really don't know specifically where she lives in Chicago. I have an address, but I do not know my way around there. She drives to the train station, which is ten minutes away. I don't know how far that is in miles. Then she catches the train out to Arlington Park, where she works. She just started working there Wednesday. She said that there isn't any parking so to speak at the train station, but that there is parking on the side streets. It was parked right on the street when they took the converter. She said that the street is well traveled.

When you mentioned she parked that is why I was wondering if she was in the suburbs. There is not really any train specific parking that I know of in the city.

I know Arlington Park very well. I work not too far from there and my cats' vet is right at the station. Does your daughter work at a company with a big M in it's name?

Chicago is a big place. A lot of people say they live in Chicago as it is easier than explaining which suburb one lives in. For instance I live in Silver Lake with a Cary mailing address but I just tell people Chicago as they understand that. Most people who are taking the train into Chicago do not actually live in the city. In fact most of the train station with car parking are in the suburbs.

Look at the Metra system map.

http://www.metrarail.com/System_map/index.html

Most of those stops are outside of the city proper.
I'd never admit to living in Atlanta. It's sad I have to work down there. I'm hoping to change that soon enough.

But, I'll give a slide on that one. In fact, I'll just assume you... uh... "misspoke." :D

My brother, a retired Chicago cop, works with others of the same at the rental car lot at O'Hare. It seems that driving the new cars right off is a big pastime.

He said recently his buddy was at the other company's lot. Guy drives up at the exit gate in a new Audi. He feigns talking on the cell phone. Cop says, "I need to see your rental papers." Guy says, "My boss (on the phone) has them." "I need the papers." Wash, rinse, repeat. Guy in the car brings up a gun, points it at the cop and says, "Open the gate." He drives off.

The cops are told not to bring their guns. They do. They are also told to give up the car. It's not worth a life.

Per usual, they found the car in Chicago in a day.

I asked what these goofs get from taking the cars. Can you guess?

The Audi has a full size spare tire. It's worth $500.

Yep. The guy pulled a gun on a cop for a joyride and a $500 spare tire, which he prolly sells for $100.

Last edited:

The one on her Jeep is worth about $150 -$300 depending on how and to whom you are getting rid of it. If you know how to process it and have the facility, it's worth even more. The Chrysler ones with the hexagonal core material have platinum, paladium and rhodeum in them.

You don't get away with that in all states.

You get away with it if you're sneaky enough. :D Good news is that straight pipes don't smell like a dirty fart/rotten eggs. Old CCs do.

Man, I've got to tell you...since I read this thread this morning I've been thanking my lucky stars that I'm living the life that I am. I don't have to run around every day to steal $100 worth of stuff just to live. On top of that, I don't spend my days worrying about whether or not things are going to be stolen from me. I know that when I park my car in my driveway it'll be out there the next morning...fully intact. If it's not, it was probably some rich kid rebelling against his parents. Plus, I've got enough insurance that I'd probably come out ahead in the end.

I'm pretty damn fortunate.

When you mentioned she parked that is why I was wondering if she was in the suburbs. There is not really any train specific parking that I know of in the city.

I know Arlington Park very well. I work not too far from there and my cats' vet is right at the station. Does your daughter work at a company with a big M in it's name?
Her address is Chicago. Actually, she works for the Arlington Downs race track. She lived in Chicago one summer while she was attending college, and she loves the city. When she graduated in December, she went out there right after Christmas and moved in with some friends. She was looking for work with a sports franchise of some sort, and landed this job with the race track. It looks like it is a good fit for her, so I hope it works out well.

She called this morning, and said she got it fixed. It cost $360 and the new converter does not have precious metals in it, so the guy at the garage said that the new one would probably not get stolen, unless the guy stealing them doesn't know what he is doing. He said that they generally go after a particular type of converter, and her car no longer has one of the much sought after ones. He said that one look under the vehicle should be enough. I hope that he is right. You are right about parking. She says that there is no lot at the train station, but that there is plenty of parking on the side streets. That is where she parks. It appears that a number of people who work with her park there and take the train. That is how she found out about it. I don't know as anywhere is safe to park it, as her friends told her that the apartment parking lots get hit as much as anywhere else. Well, I agree with FlyNE, I'm glad that I live in the middle of Iowa, where the crime rate is low, and controlled airspace is the exception rather than the norm, but my kids like the big city. My son goes to college in New Rochelle NY, which is just a hop and a skip from Manhattan.

Last edited:
Man, I've got to tell you...since I read this thread this morning I've been thanking my lucky stars that I'm living the life that I am. I don't have to run around every day to steal $100 worth of stuff just to live. On top of that, I don't spend my days worrying about whether or not things are going to be stolen from me. I know that when I park my car in my driveway it'll be out there the next morning...fully intact. If it's not, it was probably some rich kid rebelling against his parents. Plus, I've got enough insurance that I'd probably come out ahead in the end.

I'm pretty damn fortunate.

I used to go into junkyards and salvage them. I could make $3000 in about 4 hrs with a set of hydraulic sheers, and that was even paying the JY between $5-$25 for them. I figure if I went into a parking lot at an event, and just cherry picked the SUVs an diesels which have the most valuable CCs, and not have to mess with jacking vehicles up, just roll through the lanes with a box van and the sheers and hose sticking out the side, one person driving, one person sheering, it would be pretty easy to make $10,000-$15,000 each at an event. Gotta love them SUV driving folk...

Back