Catalina???

pmanton

En-Route
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
N1431A
I'm newly arrived in San Diego from Tacoma, Washington. My spouse wants to fly to Catalina Island. Can anyone share experience--lots of fun??-- or a drag??--easy transportation to town??-- landing fees??
Anywhere to rent life vests, or do we need to buy some?

Any information would be appreciated. We keep our PA 22 at Brown Field.

Thanks

Paul Anton
N1431A
KSDM

It's a good day trip, not cheap though. The runway can be a bit deceiving but there's plenty of length. We usually get there about 11am and catch the the bus into town for lunch, rent one of the golf carts for an hour or so, stopping at the garden to walk around, and if someone new is going take them on the glass bottom boat trip. This leaves us with an extra hour to walk around Avalon before catching the bus back to the airport at 4pm to get off the ground by the airport closing at 5pm.

Landing Fee $25
Bus $25/person RT
Golf Cart $40/Hr
Garden $5/person
Boat tour $20/person

Like I said, not cheap, but we've introduced a few non flyers to GA this way and all leave wanting to go somewhere with us again.

This is probably how it's going to look if you land runaway 22

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 25
I haven't been there in a year or two. There are a few potholes on the runway. If you touch down close to the numbers you won't be able to see the other end due to the curvature of the runway. I count taxiways and to cross check I have enough length. (again it is deceiving, but plenty long). No need to put it right on the numbers and this will keep you from running into the side of the hill. ;)

Fun place to go! You'll love it.

If they fixed the potholes, they are back. I go there frequently. Make sure you set your altimeter and PAY attention to your alittude on downwind, base, and final. Don't come in too high and/or too fast. Of course, you don't want to plow into the face of the cliff either...so....

If you land on 22 (most common) the runway is uphill (at least the first half of it..as noted earlier) so you should flare a little more than usual.

The convex runway can really mess with your mind. If you are at the right speed and touch down within reasonable distance of the numbers, however, you airplane will stop just like any other runway.

Never be hesitant about doing a go-aroujnd if things don't look right. Give it another shot.

Double check the shuttle schedule ...you don't want to arrive 10 minutes after it leaves for the island. Last time I looked it was 9:30, 11:30, 1:30...would suck to arrive at 9:35 and wait till 11:30.

The runway is in ok shape. It's also not at all difficult to land there, though you'll hear the opposite.

Make sure to get there early in the morning. We made the mistake of arriving at 1:30pm once and didn't have much time in Avalon due to the shuttle service operating times.

Be aware that the airport has a curfew. It's different in the winter than it is in the summer, and it's quite early (5pm? I can't remember). No fuel on the island, either.

It's very expensive. Personally, I don't think it's worth $60 to land there and get a ride to the city.

-Felix

Back