castering nose gear

Most commonly-mentioned are the Grummans (AA1, AA5, AG5). Also, Diamonds (DA1, DA4).

Not tough to use with a little practice, just remember not to melt the brakes!

Speaking just of GA planes, the ones I can think of off the top of my head are:

The Grumman AA1 series
The Grumman AA5 series
Cirrus, I think
Diamonds

I'm certain there are others.

I fell in love with castering nose gear last year when I first checked out in the Tiger. It took me about 5 seconds to have a grip on it, and I think it's far superior for getting around some smaller, crowded ramps you find at little airports.

Bill Jennings said:
Bless you!
Thank you! :D

Speaking of the CJ and health issues...we almost got whiplash the first day I learned to taxi that darned thing with those air brakes with the handle on the stick. :)

HPNFlyGirl said:
What kind of planes have castering nose gear?

The Shorts model 330 and 360 have a nose gear which is hydraulically operated via tiller (it is a rack and pinion system) however if you go past about 60 degrees (I can't remember the exact number) it disconnects from the rack and free castors the remainder of the distance to 89 degrees. Making it possible to turn a rather large aircraft in a rather short radius.

Arnold said:
The Shorts model 330 and 360 have a nose gear which is

Or, you simply hang a mirror out the opposite window of the direction you want to go, and the nose gear turns to get away from the ugly airplane. :D

A Navajo I once flew recieved the castering nose wheel mod from a well intentioned but sadly under skilled line person once. Probably doesn't count though huh?

SCCutler said:
Most commonly-mentioned are the Grummans (AA1, AA5, AG5). Also, Diamonds (DA1, DA4).

Not tough to use with a little practice, just remember not to melt the brakes!
Or set 'em on fire like happened a few month ago to either a Cirrus or a Diamond, I forget which.

HU-16 Albatross

BD-5

T-34C

and

The ubiquitous IAR 823

(which often has a mind of it's own when it comes to nose wheel pointing).

flyingcheesehead said:
Or, you simply hang a mirror out the opposite window of the direction you want to go, and the nose gear turns to get away from the ugly airplane. :D

Clever and funny and a new one, I like it!!!

That being said the ugly beasts did pay the bills for quite a few years.

All models of the Rallye except the 235C have clear castering nose wheels.

Last edited:
All nose gear aircraft have castering nose wheel otherwise they would not run staight. but some like the Grummans do not have a steering control other than differental braking.

NC19143 said:
All nose gear aircraft have castering nose wheel otherwise they would not run staight. but some like the Grummans do not have a steering control other than differental braking.
I think the rest of us understood that she meant free-castering nose wheels.

Diana said:
Thank you! :D

Speaking of the CJ and health issues...we almost got whiplash the first day I learned to taxi that darned thing with those air brakes with the handle on the stick. :)

The worst part is that the main landing gear wants to squat down on one side whenever you apply one brake very hard, so not only does the nose track every which way, the wings rock all over the place as well. To the casual observer, a CJ-6 trainie appears to be rather drunk when taxiing for the first few times.

Back