Cars for sale @ Calverton Executive Airpark (3C8) in Long Island, NY

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
One of the auction houses I purchase vehicles from for the Salvage Yard is Insurance Auto Auction. This e-newsletter just showed up. The photo caught my attention because of the unusual layout of the vehicles and the big negative space. Then I read the caption. That's a runway and taxiway underneath all them vehicles.

Definitely a use of an airport I would have never thought of!

attachment.php

Attachments

• iaa-1.jpg
    iaa-1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 108
I heard about this since I have a buddy who works for them. He expects to be spending his foreseeable future there.

It is a funny place. Huge and the only permitted activity is the dropzone. LI as corrupt as Chicago with permits and crap.

So, Mike.... I assume all these are flood damaged and most got sunk in salt water.... Going rate ?:dunno:...

100 bucks buys you a 25 grand car /truck ?:dunno:

So, Mike.... I assume all these are flood damaged and most got sunk in salt water.... Going rate ?:dunno:...

100 bucks buys you a 25 grand car /truck ?:dunno:

Not that cheap.

These can be hard to predict. There might be some bargains, but with out of country buyers being allowed to bid and purchase, there might be the occasional bidding war that works the final number upwards. Extend of damage is a factor too.

Hurricane Katrina brought lots of changes to the sale of the affected vehicles. Primarily the creation of NMVTIS (National Motor Vehicle Title Information System, http://www.vehiclehistory.gov/index.html) that tracks damaged vehicles from total loss declaration to whom it's sold to and the final disposition. This has proven successful in preventing consumer fraud for vehicles damaged in major storm events.

There could be some decent deals, depending on what you want from your purchase.

A few more pictures of the parking lot..

Attachments

• P1050756.jpg
    P1050756.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 26
  • P1050749.jpg
    P1050749.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 25
  • P1050757.jpg
    P1050757.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
What a waste of a nice looking airport.... I think I see X's on both runways ?:dunno:

What a waste of a nice looking airport.... I think I see X's on both runways ?:dunno:

Yup. Neighbors were happy when the Navy left, now they throw a fit about any use whatsoever. Can't be an airport, condos, amusement park, anything really. Hope they end up with a giant pig farm...

Back