Carry the entire medical certificate?

U

Unregistered

Hi just updated my medical, many years after letting it expire. The doctor said some pilots like to carry the whole paper (including the FAA insignia) instead of just cutting out the certificate part.

Does anybody here do this?

Thanks,
Jeff

You can cut it out of the full page outside the borders (leaving the part that says "FAA Form 8500-9," etc on the bottom and then fold where it says "Fold here."

Jeff, the logo bottom half is intended to be cut off. What makes it a verifiable certificate, though is not the logo (any kid can make an exact duplicate of the cert. itself), but is the "control number" in the lower right margin. Any inspector can verify the validity of the cert in about 10 minutes with that number.

I like my "mini-medical" Bruce suggested a long time ago.

Photocopy and shrink the document to the appropriate size... then laminate. Insert into wallet.

Did the same with my SI letter. :D :D

Photocopy and shrink the document to the appropriate size... then laminate. Insert into wallet.
While photocopies of SI's may be valid (Bruce knows better than I on that), I am certain that photocopies of medical certificates do not meet the requirement of a plain reading of 14 CFR 61.3:
(c) Medical certificate.
(1) A person may serve as a required pilot flight crewmember of an aircraft only if that person holds the appropriate medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter, or other documentation acceptable to the FAA, that is in that person's physical possession or readily accessible in the aircraft. Paragraph (c)(2) of this section provides certain exceptions to the requirement to hold a medical certificate.
Since medical certificates, like pilot certificates, are subject to revocation, and must be physically surrendered on FAA demand in such cases, the FAA does not accept copies since they might be used to fly when the original is in a drawer at the FSDO. If Bruce knows of an FAA Chief Counsel ruling (not just something from Aeromedical) stating a photocopy of a medical certificate constitutes "other documentation acceptable to the FAA," I'd like to see it.

When I was issued a medical with a minor mistake on it (a DOB typo), I had to turn over the originally issued certificate before the AME would reissue the corrected one. That supports Ron's reading of the regs, and I know the AME knows his stuff backwards and forwards.

Did the same with my SI letter. :D :D

While photocopies of SI's may be valid (Bruce knows better than I on that), I am certain that photocopies of medical certificates do not meet the requirement of a plain reading of 14 CFR 61.3:
Since medical certificates, like pilot certificates, are subject to revocation, and must be physically surrendered on FAA demand in such cases, the FAA does not accept copies since they might be used to fly when the original is in a drawer at the FSDO. If Bruce knows of an FAA Chief Counsel ruling (not just something from Aeromedical) stating a photocopy of a medical certificate constitutes "other documentation acceptable to the FAA," I'd like to see it.

I'll add I do carry the original in a folder in my flight bag.

I'll add I do carry the original in a folder in my flight bag.
That's fine if you always have your flight bag with you; I don't always, and I like to be ready if called upon to provide instructor or pilot service with little or no notice, so I keep my original pilot, flight instructor, and medical certificates in my wallet with my driver's license. However, if you do carry your original with you in your flight bag when you fly, what's the point of also carrying a photocopy in your wallet?:confused:

So seriously, It's printed on a piece of paper from a PC. How can you tell the original from a copy?

So seriously, It's printed on a piece of paper from a PC. How can you tell the original from a copy?

Mine is colored paper, with ink signature, and they used a TYPEWRITER so it kind of embossed the paper. No mistaking the original. Plus the back is all filled out in ink (solos).

Mine came from OKC (SI) on an 8.5 x 11" pice of paper with a facsimile signature. I think people worry too much...

Mine came from OKC (SI) on an 8.5 x 11" pice of paper with a facsimile signature. I think people worry too much...

You think they worry too much but I was on the phone with a non-POA pilot (professional / captain) last night. I won't repeat the story he told me about his friend but the bottom line was he had to retake ALL (through ATP and type ratings) his checkrides over due to a signature issue (logbook, not medical, and it had happened 5 years in the past). The FAA does care about details.

VOLUME 6 SURVEILLANCE

CHAPTER 1 PART 91 INSPECTIONS

Section 4 Conduct a Part 91 Ramp Inspection

D. Inspect Airman Documents.

1) Inspect airman certificates to determine appropriate ratings and limitations for the type of operations being conducted.

2) Determine if certificates are genuine and legible.

VOLUME 6 SURVEILLANCE

CHAPTER 1 PART 91 INSPECTIONS

Section 4 Conduct a Part 91 Ramp Inspection

D. Inspect Airman Documents.

1) Inspect airman certificates to determine appropriate ratings and limitations for the type of operations being conducted.

2) Determine if certificates are genuine and legible.
What is meant by genuine? I believe that genuine does not imply that it is not a copy, only that it was actually issued by the FAA and not a fake.

What is meant by genuine? I believe that genuine does not imply that it is not a copy, only that it was actually issued by the FAA and not a fake.
If it's a copy, it was not "actually issued by the FAA.". Only the original was "actually issued by the FAA" or its designee.

If it's a copy, it was not "actually issued by the FAA.". Only the original was "actually issued by the FAA" or its designee.
We are splitting hairs here. The medical approval was issued by the FAA and the paper certificate (original or copy) is the documentation of this approval.

Oh I see. I can't wait to upgrade, then. But for me that will take five years. Oh well.

I liked my combination certificate.

By the way, I think you can take an exam for a new medical certificate any time you like if it bothers you enough to want to spend the time and money, and you're sure you haven't developed a condition that the FAA could stretch into a disqualification.

Last edited:
I keep a file folder in my briefcase that has multiple copies of my pilot certificate (front & Back) and medical certificate. I have these for readily available for ramp inspections and customs. I have one in hand and give it to the inspector right away. That way no one has to take my documents with them to make copies of them.

We are splitting hairs here. The medical approval was issued by the FAA and the paper certificate (original or copy) is the documentation of this approval.
Only the original certiificate is acceptable documentation of that approval for the purposes of meeting the requirements of 14 CFR 61.3.

Now, who wants to nit-pick that statement?:rolleyes:

I keep a file folder in my briefcase that has multiple copies of my pilot certificate (front & Back) and medical certificate. I have these for readily available for ramp inspections and customs. I have one in hand and give it to the inspector right away. That way no one has to take my documents with them to make copies of them.
...and that may be a good idea if you're approaching your 40th birthday and don't need more than Third Class privileges.

I don't have a problem with that, if someone hands me a copy of their certificates..........

But, I am still going to ask to see the originals. ;)

Only the original certiificate is acceptable documentation of that approval for the purposes of meeting the requirements of 14 CFR 61.3.

Where exactly did you find that and what certificate is being referenced here?

Yea but I want to read the entire regulation in context. No need to be snippy about it. I am trying to learn something.
If at this point you still don't even know which certificate we're talking, I think you need to go back to the top and start over, including the references to the regulatory language.

I'm still trying to figure out what cutting is needed. My medical has always been about 3.5" X 5.5 " and there is nothing you could cut out and still have all the information. I just fold it.

I'm still trying to figure out what cutting is needed. My medical has always been about 3.5" X 5.5 " and there is nothing you could cut out and still have all the information. I just fold it.

With the medXpress, the certificate can be printed on the computer so you have to cut the rest of the 8x11 paper away to make it normal sized.

Let me rephrase the question. Where exactly is this in the regs?

Just playing devil's advocate here, but if the control number on the certificate presented only takes a few minutes to verify, and is verified, wouldn't further reprimand be kicking a dead horse? In the case of some sort of extenuating circumstance, at least?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back