Career Fair

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
Spring Career Fair was today here at ISU. I was marginally prepared considering I spent all last weekend driving from Albequerque to Ames and have been swamped with homework. But I made a fair showing and got to chat with several interesting folks at good companies. Its somewhat depressing starting to realize that the college years are coming to an end. I dont want to think about it. The process towards real world starts tomorrow though, as I have an interview with some folks from Cirrus in the afternoon.

Tony, are you going to apply for a CPP position at UND? You'd be well suited for it and the experience you'd walk away with. I was looking at that on Climbto350 today. I'm short by the dual given. :(

Its somewhat depressing starting to realize that the college years are coming to an end. I dont want to think about it. The process towards real world starts tomorrow though, as I have an interview with some folks from Cirrus in the afternoon.
Wow, I couldn't wait to graduate and get out into the real world. Never wanted to go back. Somebody will actually pay you for doing work rather than the other way around! It was astonishing to me that some people actually wanted to go on to graduate school. :confused:

Good luck on the Cirrus interview!

Wow, I couldn't wait to graduate and get out into the real world. Never wanted to go back. Somebody will actually pay you for doing work rather than the other way around! It was astonishing to me that some people actually wanted to go on to graduate school. :confused:

Its a toss up Mari. Obviously I do look forward to the steady paycheck and not having to pay for tuition. I really am going to miss CFI'ing as much as I am right now. Im really really going to miss my great glider friends, and especially the ability I have to fly my glider almost any day of the week if I wish.

not bad for an instruction job. They'd probably want someone who has more than 45 minutes in their aircraft though.
They'd like some time on a Cirrus but as long as you can teach and have the experience, they'll train ya on their birds.

I saw a number of CFI positions around the country offering salaries upward of $40k+. One was in New Jersey at Certified Flyers, specializing in advanced glass training.

Pan Am in Phoenix is offering a $5k signing bonus for a one-year commitment with a $35k salary and training bonuses that can put one over $50k. For those without advanced ratings, they'll pay for training in lieu of the signing bonus.

Dude, you're ripe for commanding a good salary for a job teaching multi and setting up for much more later on.

i do keep threatening Leah that I will just keep CFI'ing and she can get the high paying breadwinning engineering job... :)

I have seen Pan-Am's cards about their 5K bonuses. I wouldnt mind getting an instructing job, or any other flying job for that matter, that paid reasonably. I will just have to keep my eyes and ears out for opportunities.

You just need to build your hot-rod RV and tour the country doing transition training for folks. ;) Of course, if you don't get around to it, that's my idea to make a million dollars ... or at least pay for lunch every once in a while. ;)

sounds good Chris. Lets use 7DL once the 10 gets built. It will be lonely anyway.

It may not pay that great, but this would be Tony's dream job.

From rec.aviation.soaring....

WANT A JOB FLYING? Read on. . .

Here's an opportunity to restore the world-class soaring we used to
enjoy in Minden.

Soaring NV will offer beginning, intermediate and advanced soaring
instruction in a brand new ASK-21 and a Duo Discus in very good
condition, starting this Spring.

AND WE'RE LOOKING FOR A FEW GOOD, EXPERIENCED INSTRUCTORS!
If you'd like a paying job doing what you love, and if you have five
or more years experience flying cross country in mountainous and
desert conditions, please call us! Call Fred at 775 790-4314 or
Laurie at 775 790-4394, Pacific time.

Pete

Last edited:
pete - yea thats about right. too bad i have 0 years of cross country in mountains and/or desert.

Pan Am in Phoenix is offering a $5k signing bonus for a one-year commitment with a $35k salary and training bonuses that can put one over $50k. For those without advanced ratings, they'll pay for training in lieu of the signing bonus.

You DO NOT want to go fly for them!!! I had to share airspace with them down in Phoenix, and I have a friend who went to teach for them for a little while...quit very soon after starting. They have mostly foreign pilots there who 1) aren't that good and 2) push the rule "must read, write, and understand English" to the absolute limit. There were four accidents in Phoenix in the time I was down there...three of them were Pan Am planes. And their traffic calls in the practice area? Oh good lord, you'd have to hear it to believe it. It was not uncommon for them to finish their 10 minute long transmission requesting a Bravo transition only to have PXH Approach reply with "Last aircraft calling, unreadable; remain clear of class Bravo airspace." You don't want to go work there.

So what is the Cirrus job, Tony? Something in the engineering dept I'd assume?

I am with you Mari.

I am about to head back to college for yet another degree in prep for a possible career change and I am already tired of the college bureaucratic BS.

I say grad school for Tony. He can keep instructing at Haps, flying gliders whenever he wants, get an advanced degree, and I wont have to figure out what to do without my best friend around.

I say grad school for Tony. He can keep instructing at Haps, flying gliders whenever he wants, get an advanced degree, and I wont have to figure out what to do without my best friend around.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. He should at least stick around until I'm done with my degree (at which point I WILL be moving away). After that he can do whatever the heck he wants. ha! I think it's gonna be tough moving to an area where you can pay the instructor in beer and super nachos from Dublin Bay.

Matt - Im not exactly sure, but Im pretty sure its a Flight Test Engineering job.

Matt - that would be nice...

I'm with ya Tony. I'll be starting my last term in two weeks then I'll be done May 1st. Its kind of strange not having a clear cut path laid out in front of you. Good luck on the Cirrus interview!

Interview went well. I had a nice chat with the folks. My experience at Rockwell as well as my flying background were both great pluses. They were hopeful that I'd want to do a summer internship but I think I'd rather spend this summer flying my glider. We'll see if they'll have anything for me next winter. the search continues...

Interview went well. I had a nice chat with the folks. My experience at Rockwell as well as my flying background were both great pluses. They were hopeful that I'd want to do a summer internship but I think I'd rather spend this summer flying my glider. We'll see if they'll have anything for me next winter. the search continues...
Tony, that's exciting. Keep us posted. :yes: And don't forget...whatever you do, you need to come to Gaston's. :yes:

Oh yes Diana, i havent forgotten what is really important!

Back