Career Curiosity

KeithASanford

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MyTurnToFly
I'm twenty three years into a career and I honestly don't remember how I got here. It more than provides for my family and I consider it noble work, but it's never excited me. I don't hate it...I "nothing" it.

So I'm curious about how others may have found their way to what they're doing. Please answer these questions as honestly as you can.

1. How did you find your career?

2. Was it based on your interests at the time or was it strictly for money?

3. How often have you changed careers so far?

4. Are you happy or just stuck in it at this point?

Note: Is this thread supposed to be aviation related?

This DOES NOT have to be aviation related.

Last edited:
1. Always wanted to be a pilot. Thought flying air ambulance would be a rewarding career for a pilot.

2. Definitely not about money. I could make twice as much flying a twin IFR ship in the Gulf or overseas. Location, location, location. I live where I want and am home every night. 7 on 7 off is an awesome schedule and the job is the easiest, most laid back, no nonsense job I've ever had. Plus it's single pilot. I'll never go back to dual pilot.

3. I suppose I changed careers three times. USMC, to Army, to civ pilot.

4. Yes, very happy but it's taken a lot of hard work and a bit of luck to get to this point. I tell people, I don't dread going into work on "Monday" and I'm not anxious to get off work on "Friday." Can't say that with too many jobs.

Last edited:
1. Stumbled into it. Needed a job after college, applied, and they hired me.

3. You might say I've changed careers several times. I was a systems analyst for several years, but now I do other work for the same company, on the business side. At one point early on I'd given notice and was going to law school. Then my wife became ill for a little over a year and I was able to keep my job. I started a side landscaping/lawncare business that I enjoy more than you could imagine.

4. I'm grateful for my job. I used to smile all day every day, but a lot of that has faded over time. I don't dread coming in to the office. There is no stress, the hours are good, and I have access to POA. It's not a job that provides excitement or energy, but...and this is the important part...it provides a means for excitement outside of work hours.

I was always around aviation as my Dad was career Air Force. I recall walking down the road from my Grandparents home to a grass strip to watch airplanes (the kid at the fence) when I was younger. Never was offered a ride however, bummer.

So, Vietnam was going on and I was tired of school so I didn't want to go to college, even w/ a few small school football offers. Couldn't get a job because I didn't have my service completed. I was getting close to being drafted so I went into the Air Force (attended college part time, 10 years to get BS degree), trained as a controller, got my PPL in S. Korea at the Aero Club. Then used the GI bill to get the remaining certificates over the years and flew on the side as a CFI and Part 135 pilot as I served 20 years in the Air Force. Retired and got hired at a Regional airline where I flew for 24 years. Now retired but doing a little flight instruction. A long road but actually enjoyed it all.

Last edited:
1) Flying is something I've wanted to do for as long as I remember. It's never really occurred to me to do anything else.

2) Heh - it was definitely *not* for the money. I just loved to fly, and figured I'd try to make a living doing it. I had a strong tech background and was skilled in software development, so the plan was to make a go of flying airplanes and if it didn't pan out - if I decided I'd rather just do it as a hobby, or whatever else - I'd fall back on that.

3) I wrote code to pay for college and all my flying through being an instructor, but that was more a means to an end 'job' than a real career. So I suppose my first career was as a pilot, and I'm still doing that now.

4) Yes, I'm very happy. I never got bored of the job, so I still get excited to go to work every day, and by now I'm at the point in my career where I make pretty good money as well. It's a win-win.

I originally intended on a military career, having come from a military family and been in the military myself. I chose my present career path based on interests I acquired in the military.

A combination of both. I did not choose an easy path, but I chose one that I felt would earn a fair amount of money.

I've changed "careers" once, i.e. military to civilian, but jobs (employers) three times.

Totally stuck but it pays the bills. At some point, if it stops paying the bills I'll change in a heartbeat. Or retire. Or do something else. Maybe become a high end gigolo or work at a pizza counter.

I'm twenty three years into a career and I honestly don't remember how I got here. It more than provides for my family and I consider it noble work, but it's never excited me. I don't hate it...I "nothing" it.

So I'm curious about how others may have found their way to what they're doing. Please answer these questions as honestly as you can.

Well, Finance degree applies to accounting, so I somewhat chose it.

I was interested in financial analysis/finance work, fell into an accounting position. It's not "exciting" and never was my intention to be an accountant/analyst but the work is easy, I'm good at it, and will likely never be out of a job. Pay is decent, work the typical 5 day/8-5.

Still going strong after 10 years of it.

I wouldn't say stuck in it, but I'm not going to likely pursue anything else unless I started my own business. Does it make me "happy"? Not especially, but I can't imagine a whole lot of things to do for work that would. I may do the pipeline flying/CFI stuff as a retirement job, but the pay for that type of flying sure wouldn't make me happy, either!

Dad was a software engineer and seeing his lifestyle, no doubt had a huge impact on me giving it a shot. It was something I tried and was good at. 15 years into my I.T. career, I have made the discovery that just because you are good at something doesn't mean it is what you should do.

Money was a factor. Early on it was fun. I was really good and I really enjoyed the work but then technology changed a lot and development is not the same anymore. It is not fun at all IMO so I went the PM route to get out of the rat race, stabilize a bit, and have better hours.

I.T. for 15 years (Developer / manager roles)

Stuck. If I could do something else and not have to start over as low man / low paid, I would.

I am going to encourage my kids to avoid technology at all costs. Sitting in a chair all day looking at little TVs is draining.

I don't hate what I do but there are a lot of things I would likely enjoy more.

Worked for local police as radio operator through high school.
Didn't get drafted (still not figured that out) and missed Vietnam so went to school and got Criminal Justice degree. Well, that is basis for law school or police work. No money for law school so i came home to work police "just for experience" for a while and next thing you know, 25 years gone!! It is fun work for the first 20 years. Sure as hell wouldn't do it now!

Retired out and started 2 different businesses (over 10 years) from just a thought in my head and a little cash. Both have become lucrative and i turned one over to my son when he came out of USMC. He should be set. Put a daughter through University of Georgia who married a TV producer in Atlanta. She is set too.

Through all this been married to same (very patient) woman for 40+ years.
Ever felt stuck? Nah, too independent for that. I always have had a good time in what i do or moved on to something new (could always tranfer to narcotics, Robbery, etc). In business good planning and hard work always pay dividends. I have always done what i wanted to do. That is especially true today.

Story of my life in 3 paragraphs. Dang! :D

Note: Is this thread supposed to be aviation related?
Ok, i own and fly an airplane, brother flew Navy A-4, A-7s, uncle flew USMC Corsairs in WWII, dad had pilot certificates and rented. Best i can do. :yes:

Last edited:
I was not on track to go to college in high school. I had been working on my private pilot since I had turned 16, so my Dad found a Voc Tech school to become an airplane mechanic. I graduated from that, and was looking at the draft, couldn't find a job, so I enlisted in the Navy. Got out of the Navy, and couldn't find work, as the market was flooded with airplane mechanics. I went to college on the GI Bill with no real goals, I just wanted the money. Was broke anyway, and saw an ad in the paper for Police Officers. I applied almost on a whim and got hired. College went to part time. I got married, had kids, and by the time I graduated from college, I had a pretty good career going in Law Enforcement. Moved up the ranks, was successful, and finally retired. I never planned any of that, it just happened. It all worked out well though. The question of whether I was happy with my career, or felt stuck in my career. Well, yes to both. I mean, life is like that. Some days are better than others.

As far as aviation, I continued to work as a mechanic part time, off and on after I graduated from college, when I needed extra cash. I ended up as an IA. I got my Private License, but never went any farther. Toward the end, I was working at the airport to support my flying. When it comes down to it, aviation was a passion for my Dad, and it was something we could share. Since he died three years ago, I haven't done much with it.

Edit; After I wrote this I saw LT4247's post and noticed a lot of similarities.

Last edited:
1. How did you find your career?/QUOTE]

Went to work for a little growing place that advertised for conference call operators. That led to techie titles Field Engineer, Lead Product Support Engineer, etc... to Manager.

At first, 100% for the money. I had a personal computer of some sort since 1984 as a kid and an interest in tech, but that only helped later.

Depends on how you define "career". All have been tech related, many have had a telecom bent if not pure telecom. Always been the guy who would get handed a tech problem even if I'd never even seen the widget before, whatever it was, and go fix it. Most of the job titles were all over the map.

Days when you get to fix the problems and make things better are great.

Days sitting around waiting for stuff to break are just "okay". You'd rather be doing something else other than warming a chair for a paycheck. Call me when it breaks. That's why I designed it not to fail and to fail safe. And we have cellular data now. I started this crap when companies thought getting us pagers was too expensive and we fixed stuff via modem remotely.

Days where everyone is bitching about some problem the company has deemed not-worthy of fixing even if you know it would only take a few days to do it, are not great. "Can't we fix that?" Yeah, we can. But the boss said not to work on it. Sorry.

Days watching people struggle with PCs who really shouldn't even be in the job roles they're in if they don't know how to use the things at a basic level (and knowing companies don't train basic computer skill anymore), are really bad.

Days spent fixing the exact same problem you fixed 20 years ago, and 15 years ago, and 10 years ago, and 5 years ago, and last year, are a mixed bag. Usually half the company is freaking out and super relieved when you fix it, but you're thinking "I warned them about this stupidity and they didn't listen.", while you smile and fix it, at 2AM.

Biggest change in the industry from when I started was software release cycles were on schedules of about a half a year to a year when I started. Now they're literally daily or multiple times a day in some cases. None of the code got any significantly better really. Same dumb bugs as 20 years ago.

Not stuck, but not that interested anymore in watching the next generation figure out the same problems the previous ones did.

Paycheck is great. The industry seems to at least pay for experience. But money is not 100% why I'm doing it anymore and I'm probably going to leave the industry over lack of reasonable vacation time sometime in the next year or two.

Tired of finding or knowing ways to save people lots of money on systems and still missing things like the Gaston's fly-in because the companies think they have big problems that only one person can fix and can't afford enough people to kick us out for a month or two a year. This crap isn't that hard.

People seem to recognize I do good work. They talk about "how well all this stuff ran" when I was there. Last place said they'd hire me back, when I talked to them at lunch one day. "We just fired your third replacement."

So at least I have that whole "reputation" thing going for me at this stage. LOL!

Successful small IT companies get bought out. Mergers are horrible almost always, unless you have equity. And a lot of it. Everyone jostling for a deck chair on the Titanic.

Been pretty seriously considering quitting tech and getting a pile of ratings and seeing where the chips fall. In a much better place to do that now than when I was 20.

1. How did you find your career?I answered an interesting ad in the paper shortly after graduating college. I had some formal training in photography and it turned out the job involved photography from a small airplane. I had a private at the time so they decided to try me. They thought I might not be airsickness-prone or afraid of small airplanes.

2. Was it based on your interests at the time or was it strictly for money?Money, up to the point that I could support myself, otherwise interests.

3. How often have you changed careers so far?I'll say once. My first career was in the photogrammetric mapping industry. My second was doing air ambulance/charter/corporate. Even though they both involve flying airplanes, they are totally different.

4. Are you happy or just stuck in it at this point?Both. If I disliked what I did I would quit today. But I'm someone who possesses a lot of inertia. The job isn't that demanding, is interesting at times, and the money is fine for the time I need to commit. I keep talking about quitting/retiring but I haven't done anything about it so far.

I guess my career found me. I grew up in a family business of building powerline, doing contract work for Rural Electric Associations (REA) and local telephone companies. I had an appointment to the Air Force Academy, but my eyesight would have disqualified me for pilots slots, so I went to college as a declared EE and quickly realized I liked practical electrical and electronics way more than engineering, and paying tuition on my own was way dumber than having the military pay for it. I talked to the Navy recruiters and told them I wanted avionics and flying spot, and they set a track for both. Did 9 years as an Avionics Tech and Naval Aircrewman in the E-2 Hawkeye.
I looked at Aviation Officers Candidate School (AOCS) before getting out, but there was no guarantee I would or could come back into the E-2 community ... could just as easily ended up as ships company somewhere watching airplanes land and take off, so got out. I went to work for CSC who had the contract for the software in the E-2, went back to school under the old GI bill and finished my BS in CompSci, and got a MS in Software Engineering. Specialized in databases then, and have been doing Oracle work since. Started with the E-2 software, continued with a number of DOD somewhat related systems, picked up some DOE work, VA Healthcare, etc ... all Oracle apps with different end user focus.

My interests at the time, and seemed like that paralleled the money as well. I did independent consulting for 20 years before I took my current job as an employee of the current company I'm with.

I guess 3 different career paths but they sort of merged into each other.

Happy... content... or just tired and stuck? dunno ... but financially I was probably at the top of my game prior to the 2000 IT crash, started rebuilding back up and just grew weary of the business aspect and focused on the technical areas as an employee again. Current pay after many years doing this keeps me in the business when I look at other options - most of which would be starting over.

Last edited:
1. It was my Uncle's career and he sort of talked me into doing the same.
2. I did have an interest in the technical side of it and because the aviation business strongly encouraged pilot-wannabes that they preferred this background for aspiring applicants
3. Before I got my degree, I also did a lot of various types of menial work (and did more of the same following retirement); but as primary careers, I did two career fields over a 40 year period
4. Things started nicely, but (as with many other things), the job/employer morphed to things that better suited the employer, and "you follow the needs of the employer" if you intend on maintaining employment ===> so eventually, I took on my 3rd major career change -- RETIREMENT!
(What started great became drudgery by mid-career [ie-being STUCK])

Got one of those "useless" degrees in Psychology. Was done with school, so I started to teach at New Horizons. Got the Microsoft certs, parlayed that into a Sys Admin position, then Manager and now Director.

It was the best comp for the least amount of effort. I could probably be a better IT person if I followed the tech trends in my own time (as opposed to work hours). But really, I find better things to do with my personal time.

Careers, really never, it's always been IT in some capacity. Been at 4 companies (3 if you count one of them being acquired and going to the new company).

The comp at the Director level is great, but the job itself blows chunks. I have managers and their employees that get to feel the gratification of finding solutions to problems and executing those solutions. The stuff that comes my way are the dicey problems. Not really hard technical problems that could use a creative solution, but the crappy ones that involve people being selfish turds wanting special consideration for one thing or another. So instead of getting to feel like Superman for fixing something, I'm guaranteed that someone will be mad at whatever I decide.

On the flip side, I can count on being home most every night at about the same time, and we aren't lacking for anything we need. So, if I can learn how to leave all the crap at work, then it will be better.

Flying does a remarkable job of putting it all back into perspective. Still trying to figure out how to get more of it in. The rental game really sucks when you're trying to work the flying in to a busy husband/father schedule. Maybe I need to get in the habit of doing a Monday dawn patrol or something to start the week off right!

I was always interested in computers and technology. Got to college without a clear idea of what I wanted to do. Took my first programming class ever second semester of my freshman year, and declared my major within 2 weeks.

My first job was a huge stroke of luck. My first boss was going through resumes on my university's Career Development Center website looking for someone to fill an internship position. My resume was the first one he came across where he could pronounce the name :) Took to the job pretty well, and got hired on full-time, bounced between a couple jobs since.

Definitely based on my interests, though the money part doesn't hurt. I have 3 older siblings that are teachers, I made more straight out of college than they did after working for 5-10 years at the same job.

Haven't really. Moved from business-side development to data warehousing, not sure where I'll be going next.

Kind of both. I feel a little stuck because the last couple of jobs I've had I haven't particularly been happy with. But I'm not really in a position to start over. I'm hoping most of my issues have been the companies I've been working for and not the jobs themselves.

1) My career found me. Some company I'd never heard of in Pennsylvania that throws old tractor engines in the sky was looking for a fresh-out-of-college kid that knew engines (many of you fly engines from this company). I knew engines, they hired me. Aviation became my career.

2) A combination of interests and location. I was one of the lowest paid in my graduating class for starting salary. The location was good for me, and I got to play with engines. Aviation didn't become part of it until I got bitten by the venemous aviation bug. Now I'm a bit more money driven, mainly because I have a family to support.

3) Depends on your definition. I'm on my 3rd employer as an engineer within aviation. All within aviation, but significantly different parts of it. I've also had a stint as a corporate/charter pilot, but that was very brief.

4) I don't feel stuck at all, I'm in this career because I love it. I have a number of other options that I could do. I've had offers from non-aviation companies that would get me out of aviation, and turned them down. The work seemed less interesting and the money wasn't enough to make up for that. But, I could go to those. I could be an airline pilot, I could go back to charter, I could be a truck driver or a mechanic, but I choose to stay here. I'm 10 years into my career now.

Is there an entire county that hosts the Little League World Series that shares a name with this company?

That damned event was the one time of year that I had traffic on the way to work.

This DOES NOT have to be aviation related.

1) I found it and it found me.

2) Both. Only once have I taken a career choice primarily for the money, but it was in an area that interested me.

3) Changed careers or changed jobs? "Career" change is really a continuum, I'm on what most folks would consider a "third" career. Job change several times.... mostly entrepreneurial.

4) I enjoy what I do. When I don't, I look for other opportunities.

I am going to encourage my kids to avoid technology at all costs. Sitting in a chair all day looking at little TVs is draining.

I don't hate what I do but there are a lot of things I would likely enjoy more.

Interesting.

I had lunch today with a gentleman that made money starting & building a tech company. He now heads an entrepreneurship group at a local university.

The topic came up about taking a company that's all about "brawn" - no tech involved in the company fundamentals - and fundamentally changing the business model. Basic business would remain the same, just how it's sold/marketed/used. We both agreed that getting out of tech wouldn't be so bad - after all, how many "dating" apps can the market support?

It's the old California gold-rush merchant story: I don't need to strike gold, I just want to sell pants that everyone will need to buy. Then take the money & do something fun.

I know someone that made a substantial amount of money building a valet parking business. He sold it & is now a VC.

1. Didn't know what I wanted to do after high school. Thought the Air Force might be interesting. Dad suggested electronics.

2. Sounded kind of interesting but I really didn't know what I was getting into. Not much money as an Air Force enlisted.

3. I guess tech to engineer is one.

4. Stuck. Too old and too many responsibilities to try something else. I don't hate it, but I don't wake up thinking "I can't wait to get to work today". Don't know what else I'd do besides fly. I'm a CFI so I could do that but couldn't afford the pay cut.

1. Found out my career existed through a reading assignment in the 7th grade.

2. Purely interest, even before I knew my career existed.

3. Same career, different positions, specialties, and employers over 30+ years.

4. Some days are worse than others but mostly happy to be stuck in it.

Nauga,
and if I told you you'd have to kill me. No, wait...

---For as long as I can remember I've always wanted to be an airline pilot. Growing up my family travelled a lot and I attest it to the fact that I was around airplanes as a result of that and just loved every bit of it. No one in my family is involved in aviation at all so I had to figure it all out on my own.

---it was absolutely not based on money. It's just what I've had a passion for, hell I want to fly on my days off, may as well get paid to do it. I could have made far more money going into my fathers buisness however I much prefer how I work less than half the amount he does and I enjoy what I do

---zero. Went from flight instructing into the airlines

---happy? Yes absolutely love it. What other job can I get 15 days off with? I get paid to do what I love, flying! It allows me to live where I want to live and commute to work unlike many jobs which require moving. I also love traveling being in hotels and away from home as well this job provides it all for me. I'm also happily single so some people may disagree with my last two points there depending on their personal life!

My dad flew, went up with him, built models, then RCs, then flight training.

Money isn't quality of life necessarily.

I'm not making crazy money, though I make enough to do all the things I enjoy and provide for the mandatory stuff. That said, I also don't really "work", I mean I enjoy going to work and not only fly for money but I also fly for fun, plus as cheese ball as it sound the work I do makes a direct and immediate positive difference in peoples lives. Yeah there are times it does feel like a job, but it averages out something like 20% work 80% fun.

Aside from that the company takes care of me, I'm home every night and I'm salaried for a years worth of work even though I only work half a year.

I haven't, I worked some tech and sales jobs while I was in school, but ever since I got my CPL I've been a full time pilot.

You're never stuck, we'll unless you're dead.

To answer the question, I'm very happy.

Back