Carbon Fiber Skinning Plastic Parts

CMongoose

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
CMongoose
Has anyone used a Carbon Fiber Skinning technique to cover, reinforce and upgrade existing interior plastic parts?

http://www.playwithcarbon.com/skinning-kit-1/ (as an example)

Would such an change be legal? To me it looks like it would comply with Part 43, Appendix C, Para C parts 9 and 11.
IMG_1424.jpg

Interesting question that I don't have a clue about. I'll be more interested to read the answers of those who know of what they speak because I have some interior plastic that this may just be the ideal solution for too!

#1 Carbon fiber and aluminum don't get along, corrosion is a problem.
#2 Anything that may significantly impact the flammability of the interior must be considered.

Might be easier to just get some carbon fiber hydrodip

Probably a better option. With the condition of most plastic is in old GA piston aircraft, I can't imagine there being a quick simple solution.

I see this as allowed under preventive maintenance items 10 and 11

Most interior plastic has embossed texture. That would need to be smoothed prior to laying on the carbon cloth. Not hard but definitely a labor intensive step. I'm fixing to use a fiberglass nose bowl as a plug to make a mold for an improved carbon fiber nose bowl. I'm looking forward to it.

#1 Carbon fiber and aluminum don't get along, corrosion is a problem.
#2 Anything that may significantly impact the flammability of the interior must be considered.

That's interesting. I'd not heard about the corrosion issue before. It looks like the corrosion is caused by direct fiber to aluminum. It would be interesting to see if this is still the case with the CF encased in epoxy, or whether the epoxy would act as a suitable insulator.

On #2, I assume a burn test would be sufficient to prove that out.

Do I remember you using some CF in your Cardinal refurb?

That's interesting. I'd not heard about the corrosion issue before. It looks like the corrosion is caused by direct fiber to aluminum. It would be interesting to see if this is still the case with the CF encased in epoxy, or whether the epoxy would act as a suitable insulator.
Usually if carbon fiber or graphite are going to be used with aluminum, the aluminum is painted. CF is more than likely cured under vacuum, which would force the fibers to contact the aluminum. Often, also high temperatures are used which might damage your origional plastic.

Last edited:
The parts in the picture look like they were made in a female mold, probably with a vacuum bag, not just laid up on top of some existing part.

The parts in the picture look like they were made in a female mold, probably with a vacuum bag, not just laid up on top of some existing part.

Exactly. You won't get anything that looks that good by laying it on top without tons of work then it still needs a good clear coat to shine. There's all kinds of things that can go wrong too. The West system hardener likes to yellow as it ages in-the-can and looks bad after a while.

Cold resin seems to blush and make a cloudy finish. Warm resin likes to run all over the place. Takes practice to make it work well.

I always wanted to get or build a vacuum chamber to degas the resin since air bubbles in the finish was a problem for me.

Brian,

Didn't you do something similar to this for your 177?

Yes. I made a piece of trim that's about 2 inches wide and about 20 inches long, on a brand new piece of plastic that was not brittle and the correct shape. Most interior plastics are so brittle its not a good idea to attempt to "skin" them with carbon fabric & resin, or the vinyl wraps for that matter.

Back