Carbon Cub from Cubcrafters

Rans makes some cool airplane kits. A lot less money than a Carbon Cub, too. One thing about Carbon Cubs, they have great market value. Better than any other E-AB I can think of. Including Back Country and Javron kits Cubs. Lots of choices.

By the way, you can work on a certified plane as long as you have a mechanic to guide you and sign off on your "assistance".

Rans makes some cool airplane kits. A lot less money than a Carbon Cub, too. One thing about Carbon Cubs, they have great market value. Better than any other E-AB I can think of. Including Back Country and Javron kits Cubs. Lots of choices.

By the way, you can work on a certified plane as long as you have a mechanic to guide you and sign off on your "assistance".

True! The rans courier is a great light sport and will keep up with a super cub. Bullet proof 912 engine if cared for properly. Very well supported by an excellent manufacturer. Their newest is the 20, a side by side. Either you build it or they will build it for you.

When it comes time for me to be an owner (sometime in the next few years) I am seriously going to have a problem.

I have nothing against old planes, and I agree with those who say there are a ton of great planes laying around. But my issue is primarily with regulations, legality, and what I want to fly.

Let's say I find a nice 70's Cessna 180, which I would love, great choice for me. It's a near perfect match. Growing up in aviation and tinkering, I cannot convey how difficult it is going to be for me to keep my hands off that plane. Changing this, tinkering with that, fixing this. Not a little bit of a problem...a real problem. I don't like that switch? I'm changing it. I don't like the door seals? I'm changing them. Leaky gasket? No problem, I'll get her changed out. Wow, what a great accessory! I'm going to install one.

Even if I did find a certified plane, I would have to take another second experimental just to keep my hands busy. And I really don't think I'd want someone else's project. I won't say never, that is just the feeling I get at the moment.

I just know myself too well. I do not want to spend the time and money to become an A&P, but I am not going to be able to keep my hands off my own plane. And A&P is only part of it. What about all the great stuff out there that you can't put in certified aircraft?

Hey, some people like chocolate...some people can't keep their hands off the aircraft.

Another airplane you might consider is a Bearhawk. There is two and four place models and the quick build kits are in the $40,000 range. They have metal wings and tube and fabric fuselage and tail. I have flown the four place with a 250hp Lycoming and it is a real performer. Cruises at 150mph and has a 1100 lb useful load. The two place also goes about the same and has around 1000lb useful.
That is the nice thing about an experimental. If you want to try a different prop, put on some big tires, add a landing light, no problem just do it. No STCs to buy no trying to get a field approval. I just got my A&P after working on airplanes for over 30 years. I qualified by having done a lot of work under the supervision of A&Ps and building two homebuilts also counted toward the hours required. I just got the King course to do the writtens and did the oral and practical at the A&P school. Total cost was about $1500. Don

True and I wasnt knocking a Cubs as they are fun bush planes. I'd get a Husky Aviat with floats for a back country seaplane but that's my preference.

Back