Caravan down outside of Seattle

Discussion in 'Aviation Mishaps' started by DavidWhite, Nov 18, 2022.

1. DavidWhite

DavidWhite Final Approach

Display name:
    DW
  2. FlightmechH3

FlightmechH3 Pre-Flight

Display name:
    FlightmechH3
    I drive past the SnoHo airport frequently.

RIP

3. iamtheari

iamtheari Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Ari
    Blancolirio has a video already. His take on the aircraft is that it is leased to a company that was testing a cargo pod through the flight envelope. That does seem to be the only way you could break the wing off a Caravan in good weather.

4. Racerx

Racerx Pattern Altitude

Display name:
    Ernie
    Some pretty extreme maneuvers in the preceding days. Going from 10,500' to 6500' in 2 minutes pretty frequently.

5. DavidWhite

Display name:
    DW
    I don’t think there’s any way to break the wings off the caravan in good weather barring a major mx bungle or manufacturing defect, and I’m not convinced there’s a way to do it in bad weather either. I’m not aware of any caravan in-flight breakups in the US.

6. DavidWhite

Display name:
    DW
  7. Jeff Oslick

Jeff Oslick En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Jeff Oslick
    Breaking the wings on any strut-wing Cessna is virtually unheard of. Doing it in a nearly new airframe in VMC...I'm lost.

skier, Tantalum and DavidWhite like this.
  8. aftCG

aftCG Line Up and Wait

Display name:
    aftCG
    2000 ft/min isn't that extreme

Ted, wayneda40, Tantalum and 2 others like this.
  9. DavidWhite

Display name:
    DW
    Pretty tame really. Caravan diver drivers do 5000 FPM all day every day.

10. Lowflynjack

Lowflynjack En-Route PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Jack Fleetwood
  11. Bell206

Bell206 Final Approach

Display name:
    Bell206
    I wonder if the cargo pod picked the same primary structure/mount as the wing strut mount? If doing the flight tests the pod was probably at max internal weight as well.

Tantalum likes this.
  12. Kenny Phillips

Kenny Phillips Final Approach

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
  13. SepticTank

SepticTank Filing Flight Plan

Display name:
    SepticTank
    I can only imagine how terrifying it must’ve been sitting through that fall knowing there’s nothing you can do… RIP

23103a likes this.
  14. Salty

Salty Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    Salty
    Looks attached to me. Screen Shot 2022-11-19 at 10.11.04 AM.png

15. Kenny Phillips

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    Blancolirio's channel showed what appeared to be a wing several hundred meters away. It looks kind of like a wing to me, with a radar pod (clipped from video):
    upload_2022-11-19_10-14-21.png

Thunderfli and Capngrog like this.
  16. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    It was apparently test flights for some mods. I just found out I knew the test pilot. :(

17. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 En-Route

Display name:
    RyanShort1
    That sucks. I know the feeling. Condolences.

18. Tantalum

Tantalum Final Approach

Display name:
    San_Diego_Pilot
    blancolirio (as usual) has a good video up

His take is they were doing accelerated stalls testing out the cargo pod equipment. From the tracks it looks like speeds are well within maneuvering range (ofcourse this is GS)

..makes sense. You have to work really hard to pull a wing off a strutted Cessna, but if the pod somehow compromised that attach point.. even if indirectly..

2K fpm is otherwise not extreme, I've had my share of 1,500 fpm descents in the Aztec thanks to ATC keeping me high.. I imagine jump planes routinely rock 3K to 6K on their way down

19. dtuuri

dtuuri En-Route

Display name:
    dtuuri
  20. frfly172

frfly172 Touchdown! Greaser! PoA Supporter

Display name:
    ron keating
    Sad RIP

21. Capngrog

Capngrog Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    Capngrog
    On Caravans, the radar pods are almost always mounted on the right wing, just outboard of the wing strut attachment point. With that in mind, it appears that what is shown in the photo posted by Kenny Phillips is the top of the right wing. There also appears to be a gaping hole in the wing at about the flap mid span point, just forward of the flap hinge line. What does this mean? I don't know, except that part of the empennage may have struck the aft part of the wing immediately after separation. Again, I'm not sure what this means other than idle observation on my part. Maybe this will mean something to the boffins at the NTSB.

22. skyking3286

skyking3286 Pre-takeoff checklist

Display name:
    skyking3286
    Leading local theory is some sort of breakup perhaps in belly pod they were testing, which struck the stab and then that failed, leading to the wing failure in the dive that followed. There were four fatalities in the crash, which is another odd thing for a flight test. There is a company that does a STC mod for the cargo pod based in Renton. Wreckage footage has the original belly pod at the scene of the crash, but not a front fairing that is a part of the STC. Wing, two stab/elevator pieces are the debris field away from main wreckage, but not far away as a breakup at 9.600 would indicate. If not a failure of the belly pod, then an over speed and pull would be a possibility. NTSB will have more information later, as well as the release of the names of the victims. Local airport was given as location unfortunately, although they had nothing to do with the accident. Gaping hole referenced above in the photo is a tree or shrub. Check KIRO, KOMO, KING television news, as well as the Everett Herald newspaper. Plane was unmodified.

UPDATE: The flight was a baseline before the mods were installed. See post of 11/20 for the update. So the speculation goes to airframe unmodified. Still seems like there is at least one crew member who wasn't needed to get the data.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2022
  23. Stewartb

Stewartb Final Approach

Display name:
    stewartb
  24. wanttaja

wanttaja En-Route

Display name:
    Ron Wanttaja
    Certainly, sometimes there are lots more. Think of Boeing, taking a year or more to do the flight testing of a new airliner. There's just two pilots for the early flights, but later on in the sequence there's a pretty good crowd of people monitoring the testing.
    flight test.JPG

The rules prohibit anyone but required crew, not pilots only.

I once flew right seat in the Boeing Helio Courier (licensed Experimental R&D) running tests of a new satellite camera. We had an engineer way back in the cabin, industriously getting airsick....
    Boeing helio.JPG
    When I flew in it, the tail was unpainted aluminum. One of the Boeing test pilots had ground-looped the airplane....

Ron Wanttaja

25. nauga

nauga Administrator Management Council Member PoA Technical Administrator

Display name:
    Mantis Toboggan, MD
    Most definitely. The G650 that crashed in Roswell NM during OEI takeoff testing had two pilots and two flight test engineers onboard. None survived.

Nauga,
    who still gets angry

26. Kenny Phillips

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    Yeah, looks as if part of their speed mods include fairing the belly pod somewhat better than Cessna did; I'd normally think that losing the front fairing for the pod would be relatively harmless, but perhaps not. I don't know what other mods they do; this was for a new product anyway.

27. skyking3286

Display name:
    skyking3286
    Update, company reports the new belly pod was not installed, flight crew was testing - Sunday, Nov 20 from the Seattle Times:

A small airplane that crashed in Snohomish County on Friday, killing all four people aboard, was on a test flight when it broke apart midair and plunged to the ground.
    Raisbeck Engineering of Seattle was having the Cessna 208B test flown in preparation for modifying the aircraft, according to an emailed statement Sunday from Hal Chrisman, president of Raisbeck.
    Chrisman said the aircraft had not yet been modified. The flight crew included two “highly-experienced” test pilots, a flight test director and an instrumentation engineer who were collecting “baseline aircraft performance data,” Chrisman said.
    Raisbeck designs modifications that can help airplanes “fly faster, carry more passengers or cargo and improve flight range,” Chrisman said. The baseline data would allow the company to compare the plane’s performance before and after modifications.

The Cessna 208B crashed around 10:20 a.m. in a field east of Harvey Field Airport in Snohomish County, about an hour after taking off from Renton Municipal Airport. One witness said the aircraft appeared to have broken apart and caught fire before the crash.
    According to the aviation tracking website FlightAware, a Cessna 208B with identifier tail number N2069B took off from Renton Municipal Airport at around 9:25 a.m. and flew north to the Everett area, where it completed several large circles and a series of ascents, descents, accelerations and decelerations before dropping 5,100 feet.
    Reached by phone, Chrisman declined to comment further on the crash or the proposed modifications to the plane. “I think the most important thing is we were flying an aircraft in which we had not installed our modification yet,” he said.
    Aircraft N2069B was owned by Copper Mountain Aviation of Alaska, according to the Federal Aviation Administration website. The company could not be reached Saturday.
    The National Transportation Safety Board and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating the crash. Neither agency immediately responded to requests for comment Sunday.
    The Snohomish County medical examiner has not yet identified the victims. Chrisman declined to comment on the crew members involved in the crash.
    “All the members of the Raisbeck family are devastated by this tragic accident,” he said in the statement. “And while Raisbeck feels this loss deeply, we cannot begin to imagine the loss and pain of the families and other loved ones of these crew members.”

28. Kenny Phillips

Display name:
    Kenny Phillips
    That, as they say, changes everything. As they were likely recording a lot of flight parameters, actual performance data may tell the tale.

29. iamtheari

iamtheari Administrator Management Council Member PoA Supporter

Display name:
    Ari
    It's a huge outlier, for sure. A stock Cessna 208 doesn't normally come from together. If it's ever happened before, it probably didn't have the instrumentation that was likely on this one. I'm staying tuned for any lessons that I can learn from this.

30. skyking3286

Display name:
    skyking3286
    Fire pretty consumed the whole cabin area, so any memory cards are probably melted. Very tragic for a smaller company, that is a big loss in staff and knowledge. So the focus now shifts to Cessna or what happened to the plane with the baggage pod as installed. The 208B has a good track record, so we will see. More news to be released today (11/21 Monday).

31. MauleSkinner

MauleSkinner Touchdown! Greaser!

Display name:
    MauleSkinner
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2022
    Tantalum likes this.
  32. 3393RP

3393RP En-Route

Display name:
    3393RP
    I think what you're seeing is ground vegetation. It appears the wing landed on it while falling vertically.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2022