Car talk -- convertibles

Well, at that time, O/Os of 80,000lb semis were getting $.86 a mile while Roberts and Panther were paying FL70 w/ sleeper and IIRC 23' boxes $1.20, and they got twice the fuel economy (this was pre fuel surcharges).

Ours are getting $.915 plus fuel surcharge right now. :eek:

Ours are getting $.915 plus fuel surcharge right now. :eek:
Yeah, big rigs are for suckers. Heck, I was making more with my pick up doing drive away with a whole lot less hassle. I can't see why anyone would be an O/O anymore. Heck, the oilfield is hiring green day 0 deckhands at $150 a day, bed and food included, your cigarettes is all you buy and often you can get them no tax. After 120 days you're eligible to take a short test for your AB ticket (the company pays for it all) and when you pass, tou get $250 a day. You're lucky to clear that in a truck.

Yeah, big rigs are for suckers. Heck, I was making more with my pick up doing drive away with a whole lot less hassle. I can't see why anyone would be an O/O anymore.

1) So they can have a dog.
2) So they can have a truck decked out how they want it.
3) So they can pick and choose what loads they want to haul.

It sure as heck isn't for the money... I figure with bonuses and bennies I cost the company roughly 60 cents/mile. Once the fuel surcharge is taken into account, fuel is roughly an additional 20 cents/mile. A typical truck payment is $350/week which is about 10 cents/mile if you're running your tail off, which leaves a whopping penny and a half a mile for maintenance (yeah, THAT's gonna work... :no:)

But, take a look at a truck stop. You can still buy a 400MHz Pentium II laptop for $500 at a truck stop. Truckers are easily separated from their money. :yes:

1) So they can have a dog.
2) So they can have a truck decked out how they want it.
3) So they can pick and choose what loads they want to haul.

It sure as heck isn't for the money... I figure with bonuses and bennies I cost the company roughly 60 cents/mile. Once the fuel surcharge is taken into account, fuel is roughly an additional 20 cents/mile. A typical truck payment is $350/week which is about 10 cents/mile if you're running your tail off, which leaves a whopping penny and a half a mile for maintenance (yeah, THAT's gonna work... :no:)

But, take a look at a truck stop. You can still buy a 400MHz Pentium II laptop for $500 at a truck stop. Truckers are easily separated from their money. :yes:

Yeah, I always loved shopping at the Flying J...:eek:

Back