Car Brand Stereotypes

Discussion in 'Hangar Talk' started by ARFlyer, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Everskyward

Everskyward Experimenter

Display Name:

Display name:
    Everskyward
    My former Subaru was made in Indiana. The current one was imported from Japan.

2. Alexb2000

Alexb2000 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Alexb2000
    Why? If the government would have held the stock a little longer the tax payers would have gotten off free and saved a lot of jobs and a major U.S. company, I don't blame GM for that.

3. Ken Ibold

Ken Ibold Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Ken Ibold
    When my Boxster needs, say, brakes, I go to TiresPlus and get a written estimate. Then I take it to my Porsche dealer, which will match local shops. I take it in late Friday, get a loaner, which is usually a new Cayenne but is sometimes a new Boxster or Panamera, drive it for the weekend for free, and then pick up the Boxster Monday afternoon. All this for the TiresPlus price.

Every once in a while I feel guilty and put gas in the loaner car.

4. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    Depends on which one you buy. Some models are built in the US, some are imported (some of the US built models are quite different from what is available in japan and europe).

Same with the koreans. The Soul I looked at yesterday had a 1% domestic parts content and was 86% korean. The optimas which are assembled in the US have a 45% domestic content.

5. Shepherd

Shepherd En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Shepherd
    Here in New York State we have figured out the only solution to gridlock is kill off as many drivers as possible. You can see the implementation in practice. No studded tires, really crappy roads, and now they want to give drivers licenses to 1.5 million illegals, most of whom can't read or write and never have insurance.

6. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    None
    Actually, studded tires are legal here in the Empire State from October 16 through April 30.

Rich

7. ktup-flyer

ktup-flyer En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    ktup-flyer
    I always get guys in lifted trucks trying to race me. Same with guys in riced out Hondas.

8. denverpilot

denverpilot Tied Down PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot

They should have been dead and their assets picked over by their competitors. They're scum for expecting the public to support their failure, even if it luckily turned out to be temporary. Of course the government crushing plenty of workable used vehicles in Cash for Clunkers helped too.

9. timwinters

timwinters Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    LTD
    No different that what was done for Ford in the '80s. Completely different methodology but the government (prez) stepped in to save them from bankruptcy. Ford got the largest government bailout in history.

10. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot

Yes. And that was wrong, too. Your point?

I'm really tired of the "two wrongs makes it right" excuse.

No offense, Tim. But it has to stop someday.

"Too big to fail" is cronyism at its worst. Crapitalism I call it. Crony-Capitalism.

11. timwinters

timwinters Ejection Handle Pulled PoA Supporter

Display Name:

Display name:
    LTD
    My point being that a lot of people proudly say they're buying Fords (or whatever) because they're not "government motors." Ford ran ads stating that they didn't accept bailout money...this was laughable and hypocritical after what went down in the '80s.

And then, every car mfgr blackmails local governments into giving them huge tax credits in exchange for building a plant in their state/town. Actually not every car mfgr...every freakin' mfgr, period. Some of those incentive packages are outrageously huge. And they are no different than the GM bailout.

I'm not defending any of it. Just saying that calling out...singling out...GM is disingenuous at best.

12. weilke

weilke Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    weilke
    That is certainly how all the US manufacturing operations of international car-makers were incentivized.

13. Alexb2000

Alexb2000 En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Alexb2000
    Some of these comments about GM seem very myopic. The world is the competition and other governments are FULLY supporting private enterprise. There is no way to compete with countries like China, Korea, India, etc. without government help. If that takes a bailout then so be it. The biggest challenge is employing average citizens at a livable wage, auto plants do that very well, and everyone outside the U.S. appreciates that fact. We've seen car companies like Kia and Hyundai coming from no where and pushing out the europeans and really hurting the Japanese. Soon we'll have Tata taking a chunk. IF we're smart we should support our auto makers.

14. denverpilot

Display Name:

Display name:
    DenverPilot

Sure there is. Tariffs.

15. RJM62

RJM62 Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    None
    I finally got around to doing this today. It feels a bit smoother, but it was smooth before, so I really can't say how much is placebo. But the sound level... wow, the Red Line really quieted things down. I didn't think it was especially noisy with the stock fluid, but now it's like silent.

It's kind of funny, actually. I drove around for a while and found I was shifting later than I usually do. I'd been using the whine pitch as an aural tachometer without even realizing it.

Rich

16. gkainz

gkainz Final Approach

Display Name:

Display name:
    Greg Kainz
    I'm finally downsized somewhat recently, too. A couple months ago I had
    95 Jeep Wrangler
    98 Jeep Wrangler
    97 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 4x4
    07 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD 4x4
    02 Chrysler 300M