Captured... At an airport

Abandoned airport...for sure..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 151

Boy.... It is sad to see a decent looking airport that looks it had alot of loving care put into it to develop, just sit there and rot/die....:sad::sad::sad:

Last edited:
Boy.... It is sad so see a decent looking airport that looks it had alot of loving care put into it to develop, just sit there and rot/die....:sad::sad::sad:

For sure...super nice hangar at the end as well...

After looking around on the overhead view, got curious about the place. I found an interesting history here about halfway down the page. Still for sale, a bargain at $3M!

Last edited:

Check out the (former) displaced thresholds... they meet mid-runway. I guess once that happened, and the owner could no longer avoid paying for tree maintenance, the airport was done.

Boy.... It is sad to see a decent looking airport that looks it had alot of loving care put into it to develop, just sit there and rot/die....:sad::sad::sad:
Yes it is, but that's more common than not in that general area. There always seem to be real estate pressures that over shadow aviation interests.

I've flown gliders in and out of there back in the 80s, but not at the very small glider op that was based there from time to time. I was based at Blairstown on the other side of the substantial ridge running NE to SW between the 2 airports. Occasionally I'd fall down on the wrong side of the ridge and would land at either Birchwood or Stroudsburg Pocono Airports.

Yes, Birchwood was in a bit of a tree hole but was quite level with a nice looking surface. Problem was that it was narrow and the runway lights were <50 ft apart. This required careful management and placement of one's 15 meter wing tips upon landing.

We had a bit of a crash there as well. One year my wife and I rented a nearby condo and brought our PIK-20b sailplane along for company. We drove over Birchwood and met the guy who apparently first flew gliders with the German Hitler Youth (there more than a couple of such pilots up and down this particular valley at the time. The radio would often be filled with thick German accents, "Hans, I'm low at your 7 o'clock, do you see me?", "No Fritz, do you see me?")

Anyway, he had a slick looking German built, truck mounted glider winch, the likes of which I've never seen before or since. He had a Schweizer 2-33(!!??) and offered to give us some winch tows. My wife went up with him first. She was a solo student but neither of us were winch qualified.

Winch launches are high energy affairs lasting less than a minute to pattern altitude from a standing start. I ran the wing and off they went for a pattern circuit. on turn to final he was slow and short as he stalled it and slammed it into the ground. My wife was fine but the old man seemed a bit hurt. We helped him to his car, battened things down and got the hell out of there!

When I go back to the Pennsylvania New Jersey New York area I'm surprised at how beat down the airports look. In North Carolina it seems that every county has a county airport with at least 6000 feet of new or enlarged runway. Great government support combined with a lack of real estate pressures I guess.

Last edited:
Back