Capture streaming video?

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
My wife has signed up for a CLE (continuing legal education) webcast coming up on Friday, but another event has come up and she would like to record the webcast. Is there a way to capture it? Sorry, I don't know what format the webcast uses.

The company dinged her company for $400 to register for the course, but they add $200 if you want a copy on disk. I don't mind buying a piece of cheap software.

Worst case scenario I'll just point a video camera at the screen while it's playing, so that's the baseline.

she would like to record the webcast. Is there a way to capture it? Sorry, I don't know what format the webcast uses.

Hmm... That's going to make it very difficult to figure out how to record. Is there any way you can find out what format it is before the day of?

Worst case scenario I'll just point a video camera at the screen while it's playing, so that's the baseline.

That will be painful to watch. :eek:

Couldn't you just use the video card's baseband output and record it on a VCR?

They can use DRM that actually disables outputs. That's one of the required items in the "Trusted Computing" (love that M$ newspeak) DRM on Windows Vista.

It is trivial to intercept streams and devices on OS X because they're all fundamentally the same animals in the underlying UNIX. I love using Audio Hijack to capture and save sound from just about anything. I'm not aware of one that does video, but I bet Roque Ameoba can do it.

I know there are utilities that do repeated screen snapshots to capture video on Windows and Macs.

Hmm... That's going to make it very difficult to figure out how to record. Is there any way you can find out what format it is before the day of?
I'm sure there is. She just called me to ask if it could be done, and her knowledge of computing ends at "the computer says 'Dell' on it."

I don't really need a high quality recording, just a way for her to get the audio and any powerpoint-type slides they put up.

If it is done via MMS, as in mms://blah.ablah.com:8112 etc, then there are a host of tools to rip it. Done it many a time. Do you know the website its being done through? We might be able to find the format for you before hand.

They might have a link to "test your PC" before the presentation. THat would tell you what technology they're using.

Back