Cape Hatteras Trip

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I am heading to North Carolina on the 3 June. We rented a house in Avon right on the beach and I am planning my flight into KMQI. I have read the AirNav stuff about the airport and FBO, called them and they seem nice and accomodating. But I just wanted to check to see if anyone here had any input or alternatives for place to land and park for a week?

Scott

smigaldi said:
I am heading to North Carolina on the 3 June. We rented a house in Avon right on the beach and I am planning my flight into KMQI. I have read the AirNav stuff about the airport and FBO, called them and they seem nice and accomodating. But I just wanted to check to see if anyone here had any input or alternatives for place to land and park for a week?

If you need any services at all, like rental car, avfuel, etc. MQI is the best choice. If you want to be close to Avon (I've stayed there three times), HSE is a great choice, although no rental cars nor services.

Scott:

As Anthony mentioned, MQI is your only choice if you want any services. Both Billy Mitchell (HSE) and Ocracoke have NONE!

It is worth the time to take a flight down to Ocracoke, short walk to town and it is a different attitude there. Flying back up the beach in late evening is just beautiful!!

We usually rent a house in Frisco, just south of HSE.

Any other questions, just post.

Gary

Not only is MQI a great choice, but it is the only choice within a reasonable driving distance. Hope you get a chance to do an aerial tour of the outer banks while you are there. Well worth the effort.

A trip to Ocracoke will take you to a whole different time zone...

Ocracoke was neat when we were there. We stayed at Pelican Lodge, a bed and breakfast owned by the local charter pilot. We saw it for sale a few months back; don't know if he still he still owns it. It's just a short walk from the airport, though. They have bikes available so you can ride into town, though it's not a bad walk, either. Go out on a fishing boat and catch a load, then take them back to the local restaurant, where they'll cook them up for you. Delicious!

Philemon, the B&B owner/pilot, stored fuel at the airport for his own use, and was rather unwilling to part with it :) But we didn't need it anyway. Flew out of there in a storm. The electricity was out most of the morning. Flew all the way back to IL through the remnants of Hurricane Charlie. It was quite a flight for my 250NM Instrument flight :eek::eek:

Thanks for the input. Where we are staying is just north of HSE but seeing as we will need fuel and a rental cary MQI is the best choice. I will have to schedule a trip either by driving or flying the island to the south end to see Ocracoke. We have no plans fo rthe week other than to relax. I am bringing my banjo and a few books, I do plan on going up to first flight. Being a pilot and all that ir a required trip.

What are some other interesting things to do?

BTW I have attached a copy of the planned route of flight. We will probably take our fuel stop around Zanesville, OH.

Attachments

• NC_Trip.pdf
    518 KB · Views: 9
smigaldi said:
What are some other interesting things to do?

Laze about the beach and don't do anything

Climb to the top of the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse

Nature hike through Buxton Woods (bring insect repellent)

Ferry ride from Hatteras to Ocracoke Island

Rent boat (and maybe guide) to do some fishing/clamming. Tom? Dempsey is a good low key guy, great with kids or for those people who just want to have fun and not hard core fisherman. He keeps his boat at Odens Dock.

Eat lots of seafood! Risky Business is a good place, main store is on Oden's Dock in Hatteras, I think they have a branch in Buxton. They have the best spicy steamed shrimp ever!

Dinner and some music in Ocracoke. The Pelican (not the B&B) used to have live music. The Back Porch is also excellent.

Surf fishing off beach or pier

Windsurfing

Parasailing (Teaches Lair Marina in Hatteras can arrange)

Dinner at the Breakwater (Hatteras) and watch the sun set over the sound

Moonlight walk along beach, with wine of your choice, add a campfire for some extra atmosphere

May be a bit early in the season, but you may find a nesting sea turtle

Enough?

Gary

Back