Cape conditions

Aztec Driver

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Bryon
I can definitely understand the problem JFK jr had when he flew to the Vineyard.

Had a charter the other night coming home from Nantucket to New Jersey. Visibility was 4 miles in haze, with a clear sky. The moon could not penetrate the haze enough to light up the water. As soon as I lifted off, I lost all visual reference. Fortunately, I was ready for it, but I can see where a VFR only pilot could easily have lost control in the first few seconds, let alone climb to altitude.

There was really no visual references for about a half hour, when I finally got within sight of Long Island lights. There was no glare off the water, very few boat lights, and certainly no visible horizon. Looking out, one could only see hazy blackness, with the occasional boat or aircraft lights breaking up the scene.

Even though I was ready for it, having seen it several times before, it was still a chore to force oneself to obey the instruments as I had the instant leans on takeoff.

After all that, then I just had to plan for the possibility of a deer on the runway at my destination. Watched a King Air land there one time and hit a deer. Bent the prop and damaged right main gear, but, otherwise, a safe landing. Had thought of doing a low pass along the runway, but the field is right next to the runway, so the possibility was there of actually chasing one onto the runway instead of the opposite. In the end, I just opted for a rude charter pilot dreaded straight in approach and be ready to react if I saw something.

That's why I always tell people to jump up to the coastline and follow it to Groton, then you can cut over to orient point on long island. You will never be over water that llong, and you will always have some sort of land reference. Might add a few minutes to the flight, but adds a whole lot more comfort.

IMHO the problem JFK jr. had was lack of credible piloting/judgement skills. Wx that quickly degrades to IFR in that neck of the woods is fairly common, as he should have known, and if you can't handle it stay on the ground. Bank balances do not a pilot make.

JFK Jr was going to the islands and arrived later than planned due to a late takeoff. Dark, losing the lights and an offshore haze blocking the horizon is a bad combo. I forget if the moon was up that night.

We can run into the same thing in the desert SW. I departed HND one early morning headed south along I-15 to climb before crossing the ridge. About 20 miles out I decided to do a 360 to gain more altitude before heading west. Into the turn to the left, the high wing blocked the lights from the hiway, no horizon to the east, no lights anywhere, and it was instant leans.

Time to get on instruments and trust them. Our own little JFK Jr incident that all CFIs should get their Pvt students to experience.

If JFK, Jr. Had simply pressed the HDG button he'd be alive today. Well, at least alive on 18 Jul.

Flying off the shore of Lake Michigan I encountered the same phenomenon. Had I good ANR headsets I might not have heard the engine racing because I was in a steep descent. Dave Clark saved my life by being crappy. I understand completely how it could have happened to JFR Jr. Probably didn't know what was going on until the big splash.

I attempted to fly a cross country 2 days after JFK's accident from Long Island to Maryland. My dad wanted to go flying with me before I returned home so I told him we would go flying a little so I could check the visibility. We took off and at pattern altitude I could not see the shore line 3 miles away. I never left the pattern and parked the plane there for 3 days until the haze got better. Another reason why I decided to get my IFR.

Flying off the shore of Lake Michigan I encountered the same phenomenon. Had I good ANR headsets I might not have heard the engine racing because I was in a steep descent. Dave Clark saved my life by being crappy. I understand completely how it could have happened to JFR Jr. Probably didn't know what was going on until the big splash.

I've never had a problem hearing changes in engine noise with a good ANR headset. As a matter of fact, I think that I can hear them better.

I've never had a problem hearing changes in engine noise with a good ANR headset. As a matter of fact, I think that I can hear them better.

Take your word for it, just sounded funny to me. Fact still is that it was me hearing engine noise that got me to look over at the tach, that got me to look at the other instruments and realize my predicament. I shudder to think how easily I could have joined JFK Jr. in Davy Jones locker.

I've had tremendous respect for the great lakes ever since.

Considering he shed the tail on the way down.... I think he KNEW he was hosed before he and the women died.

That was not the case... he hit with everything working and intact, with the airspeed indicator stuck at just above Vne

Back