Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Air Vagabonds
Anthony J. Vallone
ISBN 1-58834-137-2

I am 'flying' through this book, I cannot put it down.
It is one of those books that really appeals to me for some reason.
It is about real flying, tough pilots....... but in ordinary times. Flying single engine and other small aircraft around the world on ferry flights in the 70's, 80's. A Bill Cox kinda thing. Most of the pilots start without a lot of experience flying, just your average Joe Pilot. They stumble upon a time and place where their skills are in demand... and these skills are stretched to the limit. Over thousands of miles of water in a light a/c, all pre-GPS. The tricks they learn to survive; dead reckoning is a matter of life and death as they exceed the usable range of navaids across both the large bodies of water adjacent the U.S. The other thing they stretch is the human ability to stay awake. 10, 20 hours aloft; many times - single pilot ops. Survival rates are in their favor; 97%.... compared to other hazardous activities! Most flights have a component at night, sometimes night imc, lotsa ice. Honolulu, Darwin, Jakarta, Sweden, South Africa... every return to base promises a new adventure!

Oh yeah, read it at Christmas last year. You'll especially love the Africa parts.

Agree with Dave's tout. A must-read.

Next up; The Don Sheldon Story
Recommended by a pilot I respect, another no-fluff, true grit av book - this one in Alaska.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Next up; The Don Sheldon Story
Recommended by a pilot I respect, another no-fluff, true grit av book - this one in Alaska.

That's a good one, too. I have a bookshelf full of Alaska bush pilot books. Actually, I even wrote one, although we never published it. (I helped a long-time bush pilot put together his memoirs. A publisher was vaguely interested in it, but I didn't have the time to put the work into it that would have made it publishable.)

Judy

Thanks,

Ordered Air Vagabonds used for like, $8 bucks, since I'm most through with Fly The Biggest Piece Back.

Already have mosty of the Alaska stuff, which is quite good too.

Back