Can't get videos to work on a few sites

Diana

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Diana
I get this message now when I try to watch videos on MySpace and YouTube:

Hello, you either have JavaScript turned off or an old version of Macromedia's Flash Player. Click here to get the latest flash player.

But, I have the latest version of Flash, and I have Java enabled. I get the same message with Firefox and IE. I used to be able to watch videos until a few days ago...I didn't change any settings. Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Anyone have any suggestions?
apple_logo_(640x480).jpg

Sorry could not resist

I just tried both sites on my iPhone and got the same message for MySpace and YouTube said it wasn't available. Sooooooo, I checked on my laptop and got the same message on MySpace, but finally got it to work on YouTube. :dunno:

If you're using IE7 turn your secuity settings all the way down and see if it'll work. Then ratchet them back up to "medium" one level at a time until they don't, and back off a notch.

If both IE and FF are causing errors, my first guess would be that the Flash player may be corrupted. You can try viewing some other Flash files on other sites, however, such as the Flash and Shockwave pages on Adobe's site, and see if they work.

The YouTube warning page is the same whether the problem is with Flash or with the security settings not allowing JS to run. Since the FF and IE browsers each have their own JS implementations, the problem is more likely with Flash than JS. Also, IE and FF each maintain their own independent security settings, so it's not likely a security setting problem in those programs; and they maintain their own caches, so a corrupted file stuck in the cache isn't the likely cause, either.

Some other possibilities...

• A firewall setting (internal or external) is preventing Flash from accessing the Internet (unlikely, but possible).
  • A setting within the Flash player itself is corrupted and not letting it access the Internet (even less likely).
  • You have some sort of malware LSP that is preventing the Flash player from accessing the Internet (haven't come across this, but with hundreds of new pieces of malware coming out every day, it's possible).
So... I would first check the firewall settings to see if the Flash Player is blocked from Internet access.

If not, then I would try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the Flash Player (with a reboot in between, just to make sure the RAM is clear).

If not that, I would use something like LSPFix or HijackThis to look for extra LSP's that don't belong there. (This is sort of advanced, so if it sounds like Greek, don't do it.)

You also may want to try running Crap Cleaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com ) including the Registry cleaner, and then rebooting. Make a backup (you will be prompted), just in case. CCleaner is one of the better automated registry tools, but you never know.

If none of these work, please post again.

Best,

Rich

Thanks Bruce and Rich! I appreciate your suggestions. :)

So... I would first check the firewall settings to see if the Flash Player is blocked from Internet access.
I did that...can't find where it is blocked and checked with firewalls down low.

If not, then I would try completely uninstalling and reinstalling the Flash Player (with a reboot in between, just to make sure the RAM is clear).
I did that and it still doesn't work.

If not that, I would use something like LSPFix or HijackThis to look for extra LSP's that don't belong there. (This is sort of advanced, so if it sounds like Greek, don't do it.)
I'm still at the beginner level when it comes to computers. They write the "Dummy" books for me. :)

You also may want to try running Crap Cleaner ( http://www.ccleaner.com ) including the Registry cleaner, and then rebooting. Make a backup (you will be prompted), just in case. CCleaner is one of the better automated registry tools, but you never know.
I may check that next.

My husband is getting the same messages on his computer now. The only thing that has changed on our end is our new router...could that be part of the problem? I wonder if our server, Hughes has changed settings? Maybe they have satellite problems?

Thanks for helping me Rich. :)

Geeeee Scott...thanks! :D This would be Chip's cue for a comment about that big pretty apple. :D

Actually, an Apple computer could be the answer to your problem.

No, you probably won't be able to watch the videos, but you probably won't be able to do anything at all, including getting on the internet to know what you're missing. So there, Steve solves another computer problem with his friendly, easy to use, unbreakable computer.

Actually, an Apple computer could be the answer to your problem.

No, you probably won't be able to watch the videos, but you probably won't be able to do anything at all, including getting on the internet to know what you're missing.
:eek:

I knew that I could count on you for a fresh perspective. :D

Chip, maybe if you took some iComputer classes, it would help you with your problems. :rofl:

Ironically enough, Diana, I opened this forum to post EXACTLY the same question, with EXACTLY the same circumstances! It's getting aggravating! :mad:

My husband is getting the same messages on his computer now. The only thing that has changed on our end is our new router...could that be part of the problem? I wonder if our server, Hughes has changed settings? Maybe they have satellite problems?

Thanks for helping me Rich. :)

A new router MAY be blocking flash. Can you try the old one and see if it works with that (or borrow one?). That'll tell you whether it's the router or not. It COULD be Hughes blocking Flash, but I'd try the other things first. Usually if you get the "not installed" message, it's local to the computer (e.g. it's not finding the software on your machines).

There are some "internet protection" programs that turn off or block flash to prevent malware. I use a pop-up blocker that allows me to turn flash on or off - I use that to rid myself of some of the most obnoxious Flash advertising , like the stuff that shifts the screen around.

It could also be that some other program you've installed has altered the registry. You might try uninstalling Flash from the registry and re-installing it.

Then I would say it could be one or the other (either the new router or something with Hughes). I'm not aware of Hughes blocking YouTube, but they do have a FAP that you may have run into (on other words, excessive bandwidth usage during a particular time period). I've encountered some weird, unexplainable things like that on my mother's Hughes account when my nieces and nephew are over there. So I think a call to Hughes might be in order.

But I did some searching for this problem this morning, and it appears that a lot of people are having the same issue the past few days. No one seems to have any real idea why. So let's try some things.

First, go to

http://208.65.153.253/

And try clicking on a few videos. If they work, then it's a DNS problem.

Also, are you running any version of Norton? If so, try temporarily turning Auto Protect off, and turning Ad Blocking off (if included in your version). I have no specific information that it's a Norton problem, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were based on previous experiences with Norton being too stupid to distinguish between content and malware / advertising.

Please keep us informed...

Rich

I'm on Hughes and not having problems with YouTube.

I've had problems in the past installing the latest version of Flash and JS. The online install routines will indicate successful installation but the old versions would still be active.

I've had to 1)Uninstall Flash via Control Panel 2)Run CCleaner including the registry cleaner 3)Reboot 4)Install Flash to replace the old version.

Basically the same method for JS. The noaa weather radar loop is Java. If you can view radar loops on the local NWS website then I doubt you have a JS problem.

Check your router documentation (might have to look online) to see if there is some default setting that is blocking your video feed.

Is the runway dry enough to support an IAR? I could stop by on the way home from AMW..... ;)

ccleaner available via www.ccleaner.com

ack.

I removed Java. I removed adobe flash player. I ran ccleaner. I rebooted and added Java and flash back ...

nothing. Still doesn't work. :(

Are there any ad-blockers at all installed on the machine?

Rich

Basically the same method for JS. The noaa weather radar loop is Java. If you can view radar loops on the local NWS website then I doubt you have a JS problem.
I checked that. It still looped OK.

Check your router documentation (might have to look online) to see if there is some default setting that is blocking your video feed.
I even tried it with my old dial-up server and bypassed the router and it still wouldn't work.

Is the runway dry enough to support an IAR? I could stop by on the way home from AMW..... ;)
Hopefully it WILL be when you're passing through. :D Let me know when, and I run out and check it for ya. You don't even need to do any computer work when you get here. ;)

I also put Norton on hold for a bit, and the problem was still there.

ccleaner available via www.ccleaner.com

Yay!!!! That worked! For whatever reason, the videos work now on MySpace and YouTube. Yay!!!

Thanks guys!

Side note:

There is a trojan in the wild that exploits a bug in Acrobat and IE. It's supposedly limited to problematic PDF files, but since Adobe owns Flash (and the problem relates to the way IE handles links), it would not surprise me if that is related somehow....

Carefully re-package the computer in the box it came in...

:rofl:

sorry, couldn't resist!:goofy:

ack.

I removed Java. I removed adobe flash player. I ran ccleaner. I rebooted and added Java and flash back ...

nothing. Still doesn't work. :(

I got yer box right here, buddy! :eek: :D :D

Actually, now it works. Beats me, dunno, miracle, I guess. :)

Back