Can't Fly, I'm Bored - Photo Time

Lowflynjack

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jack Fleetwood
It's raining and dreary, which has kept me in the house going through old photos! Thought I'd share a few.

24548911263_ef8f5f6c74_b.jpg

25175810325_3a3eea02a9_b.jpg

25175777125_b04674b872_b.jpg

24880085170_52bdd66064_b.jpg

25082540621_b47c752cb1_b.jpg

25057474012_fd695dcd7a_b.jpg

25175715305_705d6d0bb1_b.jpg

25082531321_4d693dcfb0_b.jpg

24880090140_f4cd673f0c_b.jpg

25175757665_b35c62d781_b.jpg

24808056129_24e73e03c1_b.jpg

I'm ready for fly-in season. I need some new photos!

I can't top those but here's a cool picture of the Cessna sharing a hangar with some much more expensive planes

2c6401d0f7e2d8ddd0955bde2a4ea99d.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy Note 5 using Tapatalk

Thank you! I use a Canon 5dMiii and most of time I have my 70-200 F2.8 IS ii lens. A lot of these are older photos though, so probably taken with a Canon 60D.

Amazing pictures Jack! What camera equipment do you use?

little airplane BIG SKY!
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 3.59.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-02-21 at 3.59.53 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 245
Thank you! I use a Canon 5dMiii and most of time I have my 70-200 F2.8 IS ii lens. A lot of these are older photos though, so probably taken with a Canon 60D.

That's a great lens. I have its midrange counterpart, the 24-70 f2.8 II. Amazing optics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geez, I hate you and all your cool-airplane-flying friends! :wink2:

Just kidding Jack. As usual those are some awesome shots. I LOVE that third one down!

I want a J-3 so bad it hurts! Some very nice pics in that post. The rest were even better! ;)

Thank you, glad you enjoyed them!
Cool pics! Thanks for sharing.

I have the lower end 24-105. I wanted the 24-70, but the 70-200 hardly ever comes off of my camera, so I saved a few bucks!
That's a great lens. I have its midrange counterpart, the 24-70 f2.8 II. Amazing optics.

Come join us! That photo was one of the easier ones to take since he flies so slow! I had a few beers in me by then!
Geez, I hate you and all your cool-airplane-flying friends! :wink2: Just kidding Jack. As usual those are some awesome shots. I LOVE that third one down!

Nice! Love the hangar, and good looking 172!
I can't top those but here's a cool picture of the Cessna sharing a hangar with some much more expensive planes.

Amazing pictures Jack! What camera equipment do you use?

I think it may be a SeaRay, not sure.
brian];2022246 said:
Is #2 a SeaBee?

Thanks. Plenty of Cubs around Texas. At least one at every fly-in, usually many!
I want a J-3 so bad it hurts! Some very nice pics in that post. The rest were even better! ;)

Last edited:

That's a great camera, and I recently got one myself! I'm using a 100-400 F4.5-5.6 IS lens myself, but I've only heard great things about the 70-200L.

I actually just went up to KBJC to take some photos of planes landing yesterday, though the light wasn't really phenomenal for that kind of work. Still, if any of you were flying in there around 3pm yesterday, I might have a picture of you landing! I know I saw at least one local flyer landing in an RV-7A yesterday… might have to track him down to share the pictures.

I like the range of the 100-400 but didn't want the push-pull design, needed the 70-100 range, and wanted the F2.8 for low-light situations at fly-ins. I'm considering the new version, but it would only be for air-to-air, or airshows where I can't get as close. Well, considering it when I have an extra $2K!
That's a great camera, and I recently got one myself! I'm using a 100-400 F4.5-5.6 IS lens myself, but I've only heard great things about the 70-200L.

I love sharing my photos, especially when people like you take the time to tell me they enjoyed them! ThankS
Spectacular! Thanks for sharing them.

I like the range of the 100-400 but didn't want the push-pull design, needed the 70-100 range, and wanted the F2.8 for low-light situations at fly-ins. I'm considering the new version, but it would only be for air-to-air, or airshows where I can't get as close. Well, considering it when I have an extra $2K!

Yeah, I have the new version, and I also don't really like the push-pull design of the old one. I love the new lens so far, though there are times I'd enjoy the speed of the 2.8 aperture (but I sure can't afford the 400mm f/2.8 prime lens).

Your photos are great though! I'll look through some of mine when I'm not rushing out the door to work, and see if I have any decent plane pictures from yesterday (yesterday was my first time shooting planes with the new lens — I've only had that lens for a few weeks now).

I just ordered a Canon 5DS this weekend with a couple of L lenses (24-105 and the big fat 85 prime). Now I just need to learn to use them since I've never been much of a photographer. If I can get anything half as good as Jack's pictures, I will be very happy indeed.

My ex was a pro photographer and had a lot of nice equipment so I'm fairly familiar with the hardware but have very limited time behind a camera.

Nice pics. I have an itch to buy some gear again(Nikon guy here) and get some more pics. I have quite a few from airshows years ago before I quit.

I've looked at the 5DS, but if you read the reviews they say it's more of a landscape camera, not for sports. The recommended ISO (you can push it further) is 25,600 on the 5DMiii, where it drops to 6400 on the 5DS. There are some good articles out there. I'll be curious to see how you like it.

Thanks for the compliment! Just practice, practice, practice!
I just ordered a Canon 5DS this weekend with a couple of L lenses (24-105 and the big fat 85 prime). Now I just need to learn to use them since I've never been much of a photographer. If I can get anything half as good as Jack's pictures, I will be very happy indeed.

That is my goal! I shoot landing airplanes as low as 1/80, and taxiing planes as low as 1/40. I met another photographer at Blakesburg who does the same. All of the other photographers were telling us you can't shoot that low and get consistently good pics. I recently met the official photographer for RedBull. Not only does he shoot with slow shutter speeds, but doesn't use a stabilizer (gyro) and was happy to hear that I don't either. It's simply practice and muscle memory!
You have sharp images of moving targets, yet shutter speed is slow enough to yield full prop discs. That and the warm colors give the feeling of being there. Good job.

Thanks! Do it! I don't know anything about Nikon, but it seems about 50/50 with the professionals using Canon, or Nikon, and occasionally you'll see a Sony. My Mom gave me a Canon camera when I was young and I've stuck with them. Nikon makes some great equipment.
Nice pics. I have an itch to buy some gear again(Nikon guy here) and get some more pics. I have quite a few from airshows years ago before I quit.

It's raining and dreary, which has kept me in the house going through old photos! Thought I'd share a few.

24808056129_24e73e03c1_b.jpg

I'm ready for fly-in season. I need some new photos!

ALL great photos but the P-51 image is particularly stunning. Nice work.

My ex was a pro photographer and had a lot of nice equipment so I'm fairly familiar with the hardware but have very limited time behind a camera.

Great camera gear (which you have listed above) does not a great photographer make....but it NEVER hurts!! The beauty of digital is you can experiment A LOT and it costs you nothing but time. Enjoy your new toys. I'm a Nikon guy and I wish they had an equivalent to the 24-105. That's a nice lens.

I had more photos in magazines and on websites when I had my cheaper cameras and lesser lenses! I agree, great gear is nice, but doesn't make you better. I always tell people to buy a good camera, but buy the best lenses you can afford.

Great camera gear (which you have listed above) does not a great photographer make....but it NEVER hurts!!

I would have probably been better off looking at photos than flying yesterday. I though I broke the airplane on that first landing. More like first three all in a row. Ouch.

Nice photos Jack - I like that you led off with the 140 at Ft Parker.

11 pictures, 10 are of taildraggers and one is a seaplane - how does that fit ?

Fly-in season is coming up - see you around, soon.

Last edited:
I had more photos in magazines and on websites when I had my cheaper cameras and lesser lenses! I agree, great gear is nice, but doesn't make you better. I always tell people to buy a good camera, but buy the best lenses you can afford.

A pro in the field that I know once told me: "you date your cameras and marry your lenses."

Good lenses are expensive, but they make a difference!

Hey Chuck! I'm ready for Ft. Parker! The SeaRay, when it lands on land, is a tailwheel plane! It only fit in because it looked cool!

Nice photos Jack - I like that you led off with the 140 at Ft Parker.

11 pictures, 10 are of taildraggers and one is a seaplane - how does that fit ?

Fly-in season is coming up - see you around, soon.

Back