Can't find it anywhere in part 91.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Where is the regulation that states one may not land at a closed field?

There is no prohibition against taking off or landing on a closed runway per se.
If it is Notam'ed then 91.103 might apply

Sec. 91.103 - Preflight action.

Each pilot in command shall, before beginning a flight, become familiar with all available information concerning that flight. This information must include --

(a) For a flight under IFR or a flight not in the vicinity of an airport, weather reports and forecasts, fuel requirements, alternatives available if the planned flight cannot be completed, and any known traffic delays of which the pilot in command has been advised by ATC;

(b) For any flight, runway lengths at airports of intended use, and the following takeoff and landing distance information:

(1) For civil aircraft for which an approved Airplane or Rotorcraft Flight Manual containing takeoff and landing distance data is required, the takeoff and landing distance data contained therein; and

(2) For civil aircraft other than those specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section, other reliable information appropriate to the aircraft, relating to aircraft performance under expected values of airport elevation and runway slope, aircraft gross weight, and wind and temperature.

If in the opinion of the FAA, you might be held accountable to 91.13

Sec. 91.13 - Careless or reckless operation.

(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

(b) Aircraft operations other than for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft, other than for the purpose of air navigation, on any part of the surface of an airport used by aircraft for air commerce (including areas used by those aircraft for receiving or discharging persons or cargo), in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.

But remember in an emergency you can.

Sec. 91.3 - Responsibility and authority of the pilot in command.

(a) The pilot in command of an aircraft is directly responsible for, and is the final authority as to, the operation of that aircraft.

(b) In an in-flight emergency requiring immediate action, the pilot in command may deviate from any rule of this part to the extent required to meet that emergency.

(c) Each pilot in command who deviates from a rule under paragraph (b) of this section shall, upon the request of the Administrator, send a written report of that deviation to the Administrator.

THIS IS A TRICK QUESTION I GAVE STUDENTS AT MY LAST(AND ONLY) GROUND SCHOOL.

Re: Can't find it anywhere in part 91. Followup question.

I'm unclear how any of this applies to rotorcraft. A closed runway should not affect me since I can land on a taxi, ramp, or whatever.

But what about an airport that has been NOTAMed as closed? Can I legally land somewhere on the field where it is safe to land? For example, a Seneca made a gear up landing at Flying W in New Jersey a few years ago. Flying W unicom reported that the airport was "closed". Would I be legal landing on a taxiway for example, so long as I didn't endanger anyone on the ground (or myself)?

Other than an airport closed by a formally-issued flight restriction (see 14 CFR 91.137-139), there is no reg which explicitly states that. However, 91.103 and 91.13 would be players if you did it, as well as (depending on the reason for the closure) 91.119 if there were people running around on the airport, especially "men and equipment on the runway." You could also be in trouble with the airport owner/operator, but that would not be an FAA issue, although it could possibly even involve handcuffs if it was a municipally owned airport and the cops were called.

For a helo operator, it's a bit grayer, but if the airport has been closed due to an accident, there will be responders on the airport, and a 91.119 violation would be easy to do. In that situation, I would not land on the airport without obtaining permission by radio from the airport operator. Remember that the airport operator has the perogative to close the field for safety reasons, and outside of an emergency, you have to respect that.

Back