Can't connect to MYSQL

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
Ok, so I am trying to connect to a MySQL database on my server via Access (shut it, don't want to hear it)

I've edited my hosts file on the local machine, I've granted maximum permissions to myself as a user in phpadmin, I can ping the server, I've got the ports open on the router, I've even specified which IP address I'll be hitting the server from and I keep getting:

Connection Failed: [HY000][MySQL][ODBC 5.1 Driver]Unknown MySQL server host '//servername' (11001)

I've tried replacing the servername with the IP address of the server and it gives me the same error.

I've tried without the // and it tries to look at my computer instead of the server

I've tried //workgroup.servername and workgroup.servername

I can telnet the server ip with the port 3306 and it talks that way, so I'm not being blocked by the router, but still no joy.

Client: WinXP, Access2007, ODBC driver 5.1
Server: Server2003 with IIS 6.0 and MySQL 5.1

halp.jpg

Last edited:
Can you connect using MYSQL Admin or MYSQL Query Browser? If not, you've got something set wrong in the MYSQL Server.

If so, its an Access issue.

That will help narrow it down.

Fixeded and foundered. IN phpMyadmin had to change the user permissions host setting to 'anyhost'

Fixeded and foundered. IN phpMyadmin had to change the user permissions host setting to 'anyhost'
Preferably you'll set it to the appropriate host. Wild carding the host eliminates a lot of the security. Also be sure to give only the permissions and database it needs.

Back