Canopy covers Pros and Cons??

Jthamilton

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Okie182
I'm considering a canopy cover for the toga when it's parked outside on our family trips. It seems that Bruce's Custom Covers makes a good product. However not sure where I heard it but can they scratch your windshield and paint?

My other option which may be easier to use is the adherent screens inside.
Thanks

CON: you have to make sure your canopy is clean of any dust. Even small movements of the cover by wind may cause scratches. Plus, the dust particles can be caught in the fabric making them available for future damage.

Not saying covers are bad. Just keep everything clean when using them.

I'm considering a canopy cover for the toga when it's parked outside on our family trips. It seems that Bruce's Custom Covers makes a good product. However not sure where I heard it but can they scratch your windshield and paint?

My other option which may be easier to use is the adherent screens inside.
Thanks

I did a Bruce's. Kept the soft fabric lining they put on the windshield area clean. It really never moved once in place. Don't recall ever having a problem in 12 years using it. Covered it up anytime it sat overnight. Need to get one made for the company Bo.

Every plane I've had has a Bruce cockpit cover with the microfiber inner lining where it touches plexi. It's very important that the cover not flap, or wave in the wind. They need to be on very snug to protect the finish.

I'm sure, in some certain circumstances, with some combination of dust and flapping of the cover damage could happen. I've never seen it.

I have a Bruce's cover. It fits tight enough that it does not flap in the wind. Not a bit.

I keep the airplane clean, I keep the cover clean. Couldn't be happier for the times the airplane has to sit outside.

I also have the Bruce's cover, good quality stuff and less impossible to install than I had expected (unless it is really windy). The difference it makes in cabin temp when parked outside in summer is huge.

Check Plane Covers in Salisbury, MD. Fits snug all over, better than Bruce, and easily customized to fit your antennas.

Why not get an industrial size roll of plastic wrap and put that on the glass first? No scratching.

If that's too flimsy, Wallmart sells rolls of electro static window tint. Cut to shape and place on the inside, or cut a really big piece for the outside to go under the cover to prevent scratching.

Those things stop sticking after awhile, but return to brand new status if you just wash them with water.

I used a cover primarily because of keeping the sun out and because it reduced water leakage around the door seal (tried replacing the seal a couple of times but wasn't successful).

I was perfectly happy with the Kennon cover I had on my cherokee 140. Note that I did keep the airplane in a hangar most of the time.

I've never had any issues with scratched windshields with mine, and I don't keep it or the plane spotless.

The guy I bought my plane from 5 years ago bought a cover when he replaced the plexiglass in '07. We use it every time we park outside overnight (about 8-10 times a year). The plexiglass still looks perfect. If the cover is fitted correctly and strapped down tight, there is no detectable movement in wind. And it has to help protect the interior too.

. And it has to help protect the interior too.

we use a cover anytime the plane is tied down outdoors for all the reasons mentioned. The cooler cockpit temps have to help the avionics last longer as well.

To address your concerns, get your cover from Ground Tech (http://planecover.com). Their microfiber inner lining protects against scratching, and their tight, non-bungeed edges keep dust from getting up under the cover (you should see a Bruce's flap in the wind). I've seen them all (Bruce's, Kennon, etc), and there is no question in my mind that Ground Tech's are by far the best for quality, durability, and effectiveness.

To address your concerns, get your cover from Ground Tech (http://planecover.com). Their microfiber inner lining protects against scratching, and their tight, non-bungeed edges keep dust from getting up under the cover (you should see a Bruce's flap in the wind). I've seen them all (Bruce's, Kennon, etc), and there is no question in my mind that Ground Tech's are by far the best for quality, durability, and effectiveness.

Thats 2 votes for this fella, fairly priced also. This has been darn helpful for sure.
Thanks for input gentlemen.

My Bruce's cover had microfiber and no portion of it ever flapped in any wind, and spending time in ND assured plenty of testing in wind!

My Bruce's cover had microfiber and no portion of it ever flapped in any wind, and spending time in ND assured plenty of testing in wind!
I've watched them in West Texas, and seen them flap worse than my Lab's lips when he hangs his head out the car window at 65 mph. So, YMMV with Bruce's, but not with Ground Tech (whose covers where snug and tight in the same West Texas wind).

A cover came with the 'kota. It didn't have a microfiber lining. I used it initially when parked on the ramp at BJC (BJC=wind and dust and sand). Result was scratched plexiglass.

Cover is now retired and lives on bottom shelf in hangar. No plans to replace or use.

I've had both, Bruce's and Planecover. Found them to be pretty similar, although I'll give Planecover a slight edge for fit. That may have hinged on my competency in measuring.

Gary

I have Bruce's covers both canopy and fuselage.also engine and tail. All fit well couldn't be happier. When traveling I carry just the canopy cover and nose plugs.

I've had a Kennon for as long as I've had the Navion ( 19 years or so). For the first ten years it lived outside and the cover was a godsend. Now I just throw it in the back when traveling in case the aircraft will be parked outside.

Back