Cancelled my Chech-Ride Today

If you fly in behind a 757, you may find yourself doing involuntary aerobatics. If you have to set down on a golf course with a windshield full of oil, well, that's an intro to bush flying. It's hard to go anywhere far without running into some mountains. The nice thing about learning in SoCal is you had all the environments right there. Big Bear and complex checkout in a 172RG was one of my PP-X/Cs. I moved all my personal possessions to Avalon in a 182 HP and Avalon checkout lol. I got utility out of my PP most by not having to ride the boat on my weekly commute.
There is a difference between landing on a golf course and landing and taking off in the bush. AS for doing involuntary aerobatics if I end up too close to a 757 I hope my training has taught me to avoid that. The point I am making however is getting my PPL or for that matter my IFR does not mean I can do everything safely that that certificate says I can do. As with many things with life, there is a learning curve, and maybe you are different but everytime I fly I learn something new about my abilities. I also know what I can do and cannot do. Does that mean I do not or did not deserve the PPL or IFR? I guess according to you yes, but according to my DPE, my CFI(I)'s, and the FAA no. Flying is a skill that is learned and the PPL gave me the foundation to do that. If I decide to fly in Alaska I would take a course about flying in that local. When I want to do aerobatic I will take a course to learn that as well. The FAA does not dictate I have to, common sense and safety says otherwise.

I took a CFI over to Mac Arthur about a year ago, to brush up on my crosswind landings on that skinny runway 33R:D.
That was a lot of fun and my first time there. Gotta do that again soon.

I was about to call Mac Arthur tower:lol:. It's Long-Island Tower!

Yeah man the 33R runway is a trip. One of my landings the other day was on that runway. Some nice down drafts off of the pine trees too. Actually when the tower told me to switch from 33L to 33R for one of my trips around the pattern I kind of jokingly responded, " Ok, I'll give it a shot on 33R this time!"

That tower gets called a million different things, I've heard;

1. Long Island tower- which is correct
2. Islip tower
3. MacArthur tower
4. Long Island MacArthur tower
5. KISP tower

Funny enough- no one that I've heard has yet to say General MacArthur tower although I'm sure it's been done! Hahaha

Yeah man the 33R runway is a trip. One of my landings the other day was on that runway. Some nice down drafts off of the pine trees too. Actually when the tower told me to switch from 33L to 33R for one of my trips around the pattern I kind of jokingly responded, " Ok, I'll give it a shot on 33R this time!"

That tower gets called a million different things, I've heard;

1. Long Island tower- which is correct
2. Islip tower
3. MacArthur tower
4. Long Island MacArthur tower
5. KISP tower

Funny enough- no one that I've heard has yet to say General MacArthur tower although I'm sure it's been done! Hahaha

Unlike my early student flights, I rarely find myself left (or right) of centerline anymore, so the 75ft width wasn't an issue but those freaky winds were interesting. Plus I was slowly regaining my confidence after a ten year flying hiatus. It was good having a CFI with me.

General MacArthur tower...that's funny.
How about Igor Sikorsky tower, for Bridgeport:lol:

Unlike my early student flights, I rarely find myself left (or right) of centerline anymore, so the 75ft width wasn't an issue but those freaky winds were interesting. Plus I was slowly regaining my confidence after a ten year flying hiatus. It was good having a CFI with me.

General MacArthur tower...that's funny.
How about Igor Sikorsky tower, for Bridgeport:lol:

Yeah the trick to 33R is to just pretend you are landing on a taxi way. I actually think it looks about as wide as taxiway echo that Southwest uses to taxi to runway 24. The trick to the winds is to aim a little right of center because the wind off the trees pushes you a bit left.

Only been to Bridgeport once but I'm sure someone has called it Igor Sikorsky tower. Wonder if anyone has ever called it "chopper tower" after the Sikorsky helicopter? Probably a stretch.:D

Back