Canadian man walks into Cessna 150 prop, survives.

keep your fingers on the key when people are anywhere near a moving prop, have a hair trigger and dont be afraid to use it.

Uhhhh, the pilot was taxiing his 150 from a church to his hangar??????????

tonycondon said:
keep your fingers on the key when people are anywhere near a moving prop, have a hair trigger and dont be afraid to use it.
I thought the fastest way to kill the engine with the mixture. Either way it only takes one blade to kill.

Notice that this guy was taxiing down the road to the airport. Must have been an airport community or a rural area.

smigaldi said:
Canada. National Health Plan

Dang!
The near northern pseudo-commies have not only ruined the Canuck medical economy but my joke as well...

Dave Krall CFII said:
Dang!
The near northern pseudo-commies have not only ruined the Canuck medical economy but my joke as well...

Such a pessimist. Look on the bright side, you can hit a few more people with the prop and not worry about your insurance premium going up due to paying medical payments.

smigaldi said:
Such a pessimist. Look on the bright side, you can hit a few more people with the prop and not worry about your insurance premium going up due to paying medical payments.
When I drove through and would mention the high taxes they would say they had free health care. When I said we also had gate keepers they were thinking it was the same deal. It isn't. We don't wait for years for care.

tonycondon said:
mikea said:
I thought the fastest way to kill the engine with the mixture. Either way it only takes one blade to kill.
I don't see how this could be. You need compression, fuel, and ignition to turn that prop over. Pulling the mixture takes time for your hand to reach for it and pull it back. It also takes time for the fuel / air ratio to fall to a level where power is no longer produced.

If you turn the key to off you'll be taking igntion out of the equation instantly. Most of the time..This should shut the engine off like right now. It's very rare for a gasoline engine to continue to run without spark. Although it can happen it is usually just one or two strokes of power. I've heard this can be caused by built up carbon that is still hot enough to ignite the fuel or if the conditions in the cylinders are just perfect. I've seen it happen.

Te best policy would be mags off with the left hand and mixture cut off with the right. Another reason would be a busted p-lead would render your switch useless. One quick motion. Probably a good idea to be ready with both if you think someone might come towards the prop. In that case it's probably a good idea to just shut it down until the possibility of some idiot walking into it is no longer present.

Last edited:
Back