canadian airspace question?

201Driver

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
201Driver
i'm planning a trip from nw indiana, krzl, to niagara falls, kiag, on an ifr flight plan. the direct routing would take me thru south east of detroit and along the northern coast of lake erie which is in ontario airspace. the questions is do i have to file the epais? thank you in advance.

i'm planning a trip from nw indiana, krzl, to niagara falls, kiag, on an ifr flight plan. the direct routing would take me thru south east of detroit and along the northern coast of lake erie which is in ontario airspace. the questions is do i have to file the epais? thank you in advance.
EAPIS is only required if you will be landing in another country. So no, you don't need to bother yourself with them.

I do however carry my passport in case some unforseen circumstance forces me to land in Canada.

I do however carry my passport in case some unforseen circumstance forces me to land in Canada.

Yeah, I do that even when flying in the US, lest some FBO decide that a checkout requires proof of citizenship. Not to mention those states that are looking to require proof on any interaction with law enforcement. :mad::mad::mad:

Do you have the requirements for Cdn overflight?
if you are a member:
http://www.aopa.org/members/pic/intl/canada/index.html

Good link. If you aren't a member, note the exception:
eAPIS Requirement:
All pilots flying across the U.S. border are required to use eAPIS — CBP’s Electronic Advance Passenger Information System. AOPA Air Safety Foundation has developed a free online tutorial: “Understanding eAPIS - A Pilot’s Guide to Online Customs Reporting.”

>> Exception: If you overfly Canada without landing, eAPIS is not required.

Back