CANADA memory aid

SDuncan

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
scott
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the CANADA memory aid for an instrument approach. I'm pretty sure that it's something like: C - communications, A - ATIS, N - Navaids,... but after that I can't remember. Also, if anyone else has any other good memory aids like this for instrument flying, please share.

Thanks!

I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the CANADA memory aid for an instrument approach. I'm pretty sure that it's something like: C - communications, A - ATIS, N - Navaids,... but after that I can't remember. Also, if anyone else has any other good memory aids like this for instrument flying, please share.

Thanks!

WIRETAP

• Weather
  • Instruments
  • Radios
  • airport Elevation
  • Time
  • Altitudes
  • missed approach Procedure

But I find just going through the IAP plate in logical sequence accomplishes the same.

But I find just going through the IAP plate in logical sequence accomplishes the same.
I'm with Dan...unless somebody comes up with a way to use "APPROACH" as the mnemonic for an approach, "TAKEOFF" as the mnemonic for takeoff, and "OH CRAP" as the mnemonic for an engine failure (although it would have to encompass a lot of other emergencies as well ;)), I think the best way is to just find a good flow, use a good checklist, and practice it until your proficient.

Fly safe!

David

I learned the ****T checklist from my CFII as a before takeoff checklist:

Strobes
Heading-
Indicator
Transponder
Time

I say that often enough when I fly that at least I have a practical use for the word now!

I learned the ****T checklist from my CFII as a before takeoff checklist:

Strobes
Heading-
Indicator
Transponder
Time

I say that often enough when I fly that at least I have a practical use for the word now!

Less crude is HATTSS:

Heading Indicator aligned with runway
Attitude Indicator stable and displaying as expected
Transponder
Time
Switches (Strobes, etc)
Speeds (vr by a point along the runway)

Other good memory aids? The first one must not have been that good, because you forgot it! ;)

My favorite is also the one I use for approaches... PAIN CALL.

Position - Where are you, and where are you going to be getting on the approach?
ATIS (ASOS/AWOS) - Listen
Instruments - set DG and altimeter
Nav radios - Tune, Identify, Twist, Set markers
Comm radios - Tune approach and tower
Approach briefing - headings, altitudes, missed, etc.
Landing checklist - complete
Listen for your approach clearance.

I can't remember the memory aids. I just do what it takes to get the job done.

I have a list of mnemonics to remember the mnemonics if anybody is interested.

;) :D

I use the mnemonic

DUM-AS

Don't
Use
Mnemonics
As memory
aidS

If you learn the procedures and the reason why you are doing them then I find I remember what to do. If all I am doing is spending time using some sort of mnemonic aid then all I expend my brain energy on is learning the mnemonic, not why I am doing something.

If you learn the procedures and the reason why you are doing them then I find I remember what to do. If all I am doing is spending time using some sort of mnemonic aid then all I expend my brain energy on is learning the mnemonic, not why I am doing something.

Well..

Some people's minds work differently, Scott.

The only mnemonic I find useful is HATTSS, as it's a good last second check before takeoff (even though I've done a complete runup, etc I like to be 100% sure nothing has been missed before launching into the clouds), and GUMPSS.

GUMPSS makes sense as it is a quick check when you don't have time for checklists and landing with the gear up or the prop low RPM or the mixture still lean is bad mojo.

Well..

Some people's minds work differently, Scott.
Did you note how many times I used 'I' in my statement?

But I do note that in the piloting community, unlike other areas, the use of memory mnemonics seems to be very overused. With many of them being way to klutzy e.g. TOMATO FLAMES. I have no idea what it stands for but I have heard people use it.

Last edited:
Did you note how many times I used 'I' in my statement?

I note you use "I" quite often.

:rolleyes:

But I do note that in the piloting community, unlike other areas, the use of memory mnemonics seems to be very overused. With many of them being way to klutzy e.g. TOMATO FLAMES. I have no idea what it stands for but I have heard people use it.

It's one of those "Prep for Written and Practical" helps (minimum equipment for IFR flight)

It's one of those "Prep for Written and Practical" helps (minimum equipment for IFR flight)

Heh... And it works like crap, too. TOMATO FLAMES is minimum for VFR flight. I think it's "GRAB CARD" for IFR. But they're both worthless, as you're allowed to pull out your FAR/AIM to answer that one anyway.

Heh... And it works like crap, too. TOMATO FLAMES is minimum for VFR flight. I think it's "GRAB CARD" for IFR. But they're both worthless, as you're allowed to pull out your FAR/AIM to answer that one anyway.

OOps..yeah..

Been awhile since I even thought of those!

Maybe we need a mnemonic to remember what each mnemonic stands for? :dunno:

Thank you all for your help and input. I respect all sides to the memory aid issue. I myself use memory aids for certain things, but for the most part, just fly the airplane like I would. However, since beginning my instrument training, I find that there is so much going on that memory aids help to make sure everything gets done. Anyhow, I figured out what CANADA stood for (and have since then been using it in my training):

C - Communication
A - ATIS
N - Navaids
A - Altimeter
D - Directional gyro
A - Approach plate details (MDA/DH, missed approach procedure, etc.)

And again, thanks to everyone for your input.

Thank you all for your help and input. I respect all sides to the memory aid issue. I myself use memory aids for certain things, but for the most part, just fly the airplane like I would. However, since beginning my instrument training, I find that there is so much going on that memory aids help to make sure everything gets done. Anyhow, I figured out what CANADA stood for (and have since then been using it in my training):

C - Communication
A - ATIS
N - Navaids
A - Altimeter
D - Directional gyro
A - Approach plate details (MDA/DH, missed approach procedure, etc.)

And again, thanks to everyone for your input.

That's a good one!

As I mentioned in an earlier post -- everyone's mind works differently, and if this mnemonic helps you, then use it!

Back