Canada - flying to vs flying through?

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
What is needed to fly across Canada? From say IAG back to Michigan? Do I need to get the radio operator's license to cross Canadian airspace, or do I only need it if I plan on landing there? Customs issues for crossing?

I don't believe you need anything other than to be on a flight plan, IFR works great.

Bruce, I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that overflights, i.e. departure and arrival airports within the US with no stops in Canada, did not need to file the international flight plan form and were handled via an accomodation with the US and Canada.

bstratt said:
I don't believe you need anything other than to be on a flight plan, IFR works great.

That's always worked for me. There's certainly no customs involvement. And while technically you probably need an aircraft station radio license, it's pretty unlikely that ATC will require you to fax a copy from the plane. Prior to 9/11 I don't think you even needed to file as long as you didn't land in Canada.

bstratt said:
Bruce, I could be wrong about this, but I seem to recall reading somewhere that overflights, i.e. departure and arrival airports within the US with no stops in Canada, did not need to file the international flight plan form and were handled via an accomodation with the US and Canada.

You need to be on a flight plan, but AFaIK you can file a normal US VFR or IFR one and put "Canadian overflight" in the remarks.

From http://www.aopa.org/members/files/travel/canada/can02.html:
Overflight

U.S. and Canadian Customs regulations permit aircraft to overfly the respective countries and return to the original country of departure without reporting to Customs. Examples of this might be a flight from Detroit to Buffalo or St. John's to Montreal, during which you overfly foreign territory but do not land. A VFR or IFR flight plan is required for every flight crossing the U.S./Canada border. A notation of "Canadian or U.S. Overflight, No Landing" is recommended in the "Remarks" block of the flight plan form.

You will also have to comply with the U.S. requirement for a Mode A and C transponder (or a waiver) and for prior contact with a U.S. ATC facility prior to crossing the border. Failure to do this will likely result in interception.

It's a good idea to review all the information available at the AOPA site (http://www.aopa.org/members/files/travel/canada/index2.html), which has links to many other resources.

You should also review the information available at:

http://www.faa.gov/ats/aat/ifim/ifim3tc.htm

Have you seen similar wording for Mexico? (there is the adiz line there)

Let'sgoflying! said:
Have you seen similar wording for Mexico? (there is the adiz line there)

I'm sure its different, there is an ADIZ on the southern border, but not on the northern border.

N2212R said:
What is needed to fly across Canada? From say IAG back to Michigan? Do I need to get the radio operator's license to cross Canadian airspace, or do I only need it if I plan on landing there? Customs issues for crossing?

ARROW.
A discreet squawk code.
VFR or IFR flight plan.

I don't think you need the radio license if you are not going to land in Canada.

Your flight plan may include your pax info.

No customs issues if you file to transit the airspace and do not land.

N2212R said:

Ed, FWIW. I just got my FCC license. Only took about a week to get here, after ordering on the web. Cost $55 and lasts for life (don't lose it, replacement costs... you guessed it, $55!).

Thing is, now I'm not sure I'll use it anytime soon.... I was unaware of the requirement for a station license for the plane, and being a renter, I fly different planes alot....

Back