Can you shock cool a reindeer?

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
With Christmas fast approaching, I am wondering about Santa's operational practices for his reindeer.

Does he run them lean of peak? (fed too little)
Or does he run them rich of peak? (fed too much)
Does he run them in the "red box"? (they work too hard and die)
What's the overhaul cost for a reindeer? How many hours/year between TBO?

Discuss.

I see an issue with having the red navigation light on the nose of the lead reindeer instead of out on the port wingtip.

When our tour bus stopped in North Pole, Alaska, the local tourist trap had a pen full of caribou and reindeer feeding in a small pasture behind the facility. The owner confided that the only difference between the two species was that the caribou can't fly. He said he wasn't sure which ones were reindeer but he would stay open late on Christmas eve if we wanted to see for ourselves. Unfortunately, our trip ended on September 15.

With Christmas fast approaching, I am wondering about Santa's operational practices for his reindeer.

Discuss.

You can shock cool anything, it's just a matter of how fast you yo must cool it. However considering that they travel at such a speed as to visit every child in one night and have to transition climate zones at that great speed i think that they must be very resistant to the effects of shock cooling.

Still one of my favorites that's been bouncing around for awhile.

Santa Claus, like all pilots, gets regular visits from the Federal Aviation Administration, and it was shortly before Christmas when the FAA examiner arrived.

In preparation, Santa had the elves wash the sled and bathe all the reindeer. Santa got his logbook out and made sure all his paperwork was in order.

The examiner walked slowly around the sled. He checked the reindeer harnesses, the landing gear, and Rudolf's nose. He painstakingly reviewed Santa's weight and balance calculations for the sled's enormous payload.

Finally, they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in and fastened his seatbelt and shoulder harness and checked the compass. Then the examiner hopped in carrying, to Santa's surprise, a shotgun.

"What's that for?" asked Santa incredulously.

The examiner winked and said, "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you're gonna lose an engine on takeoff."

Brian

:idea::idea:Santa and the Reindeer are very smart.... They know all their operations are in frigid weather so they copied me..... They are liquid cooled,,, just like my experimental.... And to answer a previous poster, there are some motors you can't shock cool,, well not very easily.:):wink2:

Ben
www.haaspowerair.com

:idea::idea:Santa and the Reindeer are very smart.... They know all their operations are in frigid weather so they copied me..... They are liquid cooled,,, just like my experimental.... And to answer a previous poster, there are some motors you can't shock cool,, well not very easily.:):wink2:

I haven't shock-cooled my Mitsubishi either, going from 7000 RPM 15 PSI boost to 1000 RPM idle in less than a second, repeatedly. :)

There was a thread talking about entering/exiting an aircraft when the engine is running. Does Santa do that? Does he shut down at each stop? Any problems with hot starts? How many times does he prime? With no electrical system, and no transponder, he's kind of limited in the airspace too.

Santa must have connections inside FAA.

There was a thread talking about entering/exiting an aircraft when the engine is running. Does Santa do that? Does he shut down at each stop? Any problems with hot starts? How many times does he prime? With no electrical system, and no transponder, he's kind of limited in the airspace too.

Santa must have connections inside FAA.

NORAD tracks him and if he gets out of line, a pair of F16's will be waiting... :rofl:

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/

Brian

How shocking and cool would it be, if Rudolph was female?

How shocking and cool would it be, if Rudolph was female?

If Rudolph is a female in heat, that might explain the high speed of the sleight caused by the other (male) reindeer following her.

So - what is Santa's callsign? I hope it's something cool, like "Reaper".

I don't know the anwser to OP's question but I have it on good authority he may be flying over gross.

381263_10150367299491362_600206361_8476838_653492526_n.jpg

I wouldn't worry about intercepts....I'm pretty sure sure that the sleigh has IFF squawkin' Mode IV and a mission code....

Ahhh, but has anyone double checked to make sure he filed a flight plan? Don't need the media getting all bent out of shape if something should happen enroute... :idea: :D

Brian

Discuss.

There is no TBO.. Its like a turbine helicopter. After a set number of cycles you sacrifice the part and replace with new.

Used reindeer go good with biscuits and gravy.

Reindeer are very resistant to shock cooling. You have to shoot them first. :(

OK, someone had to post this -

1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects and germs, this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only Santa has ever seen.

2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since Santa doesn't (appear) to handle most Muslim, Hindu, and Buddhist children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5 children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at least one good child in each.

3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which seems logical). This works out to 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the stockings, distribute the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and move on to the next house.
Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking about .78 miles per household, a total trip of 75-1/2 million miles, not counting stops to do what most of us must do at least once every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc.
This means that Santa's sleigh is moving at 650 miles per second, 3,000 times the speed of sound. For purposes of comparison, the fastest man- made vehicle on earth, the Ulysses space probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second - a conventional reindeer can run, tops, 15 miles per hour.

4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that each child gets nothing more than a medium-sized lego set (2 pounds), the sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than 300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine. We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison, this is four times the weight of the cruise ship Queen Elizabeth II.

5) 353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as a spacecraft reentering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Santa, meanwhile, will be subjected to acceleration forces 17,500.06 times greater than gravity. A 250-pound Santa (which seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by 4,315,015 pounds of force.
In conclusion - If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's dead now.

If Rudolph is a female in heat, that might explain the high speed of the sleight caused by the other (male) reindeer following her.

If THIS is true: Both male and female reindeer grow antlers in the summer. Male reindeer drop their antlers at the beginning of winter, usually late November to mid-December.
Female reindeer retain their antlers until after they give birth in the spring. Therefore, according to every historical rendition depicting Santa's reindeer, every single one of them, from Rudolph to Blitzen, had to be a girl. We should've known…... only females would be able to drag a fat man in a red velvet suit all around the world in one night and not get lost.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mmmmmmm........ Venison. :D

The real question.....

Can you run that reindeer LOP?

When I gave Santa his flight review last year, the reindeer were complaining about him not feeding them enough. So, apparently yes.

Back