Can you rent a single piston for a week?

That's the smart thing to do.

I had to fork out 23K+ for a full overhaul 97 hours after I bought the airplane. Not sure that happens often but be prepared for the possibility. That said, I'll still take owning over renting... Even if it does cost more(and don't be fooled, it likely WILL cost more).

That can be aggravating. That's why if I ever buy a plane, I am going into the deal with the mindset I am going to need an overhaul. Prepare for the worst hope for the best I guess.

Well, I didn't have that mentality... But now I see why one should. Luckily, I was able to pay for the overhaul. Granted, I could have had it fixed for about half that, just to be clear. I elected to go all the way. So perhaps if the engine checks out good on the pre buy, plan on maybe 50% at a minimum set aside for major engine repairs. I had a cracked case, but it could be any number of other things.

Well, I didn't have that mentality... But now I see why one should. Luckily, I was able to pay for the overhaul. Granted, I could have had it fixed for about half that, just to be clear. I elected to go all the way. So perhaps if the engine checks out good on the pre buy, plan on maybe 50% at a minimum set aside for major engine repairs. I had a cracked case, but it could be any number of other things.

ouch, that's a tough one. at least you have a fresh engine after that incident.

what happened, plane trouble?

July, found a case crack during routine look'n'poke after oil change. Sad it happened, but the engine gave good time, ran strong to the end and never let me down.

Sourced a replacement engine fairly quickly, got it delivered, and...

...that was October, and it ain't done yet. There's other stuff being done, but me and mr. Mechanic (a good guy) had a serious talk.

One has no idea how much one will miss an airplane until it becomes unavailable!

That's just how I found my case crack, after an oil change. Although, I had noticed some oil earlier... just wasn't sure where it was coming from.

You had an engine delivered in October, and it's not installed yet? That's a 2 day job. I'd be pretty irritated.

July, found a case crack during routine look'n'poke after oil change. Sad it happened, but the engine gave good time, ran strong to the end and never let me down.

Sourced a replacement engine fairly quickly, got it delivered, and...

...that was October, and it ain't done yet. There's other stuff being done, but me and mr. Mechanic (a good guy) had a serious talk.

One has no idea how much one will miss an airplane until it becomes unavailable!

That sucks, is keeping a spare engine around if you found one for a good price somthing people do?

That's one of the great things about my flying club, you only pay for the flight time. And members don't often abuse the privilege of keeping the planes tied up for week after week. Short of solo ownership, this is a nice way to fly!

Amen! And thrown in tach time billing and it's even better.

A club is a very viable alternative to renting. The maintenance on the airplanes is much better and the pool of people flying them at least give a passing damn about the equipment, so they don't get abused like a rental.

A club is a very viable alternative to renting. The maintenance on the airplanes is much better and the pool of people flying them at least give a passing damn about the equipment, so they don't get abused like a rental.

I need to check to see if there are clubs within a reasonable distance from me.

Back