Can you find the problem in this picture?

Policeboss

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Policeboss
872301DD-87C6-4398-A8CC-736B25E81857-4267-000003E1AB08DCE5_zpsa8a12dc0.jpg

Anything wrong with this picture? Look close.. You guessed it!! my vacuum pump went out. Im looking for recommendations. The existing pump is an Airborne 215cc stamped " No Overhaul".

I'm considering an AAA, Tempest or Rapco. All are about the same price.

Thanks Karry

Last edited:
I had good luck with the Rapco pumps, they will last 1000 hours. On the pump failures that I have seen what breaks is the rubber coupler and not the actual pump inside. The rubber on the coupler degrades more with time than with usage. I have opened three of these failed Rapco pumps and all the vanes are in perfect condition. Next time I am thinking of coating the rubber coupler with some protective coat to minimize deterioration. Any suggestions?

José

Thanks! My rubber coupler was gone. Opened it up and found it it was locked up with three broken vanes.

Engine is a 0-200 in a 1973 Cessna 150L VFR

+1. Vac pump problems disappeared.
well, almost disappeared. One side of the travel air had a wet pump start to go, it was only 40 years and 4000 hours old. Must have been made on a friday.

Lots of oil on the belly with a wet pump. but they certainly are more reliable. It might depend on how much you fly in the soup. Dry pumps are less expensive, I got a used one on E-bay about 5 years ago.

Lots of oil on the belly with a wet pump. but they certainly are more reliable. It might depend on how much you fly in the soup. Dry pumps are less expensive, I got a used one on E-bay about 5 years ago.

I am not sure the word " aircraft vacuum pump" and "Ebay" should be used in the same sentence.. :no::hairraise::eek:

I am not sure the word " aircraft vacuum pump" and "Ebay" should be used in the same sentence.. :no::hairraise::eek:

Why not? I had an entire panel I bought on eBay... Some sellers even drop shipped the parts to the overhaul shop so I didn't have to double down on shipping. :D

if the wet pump is pumping that much oil overboard it's due for an overaul. With an air sep you should have zero oil on the belly.

Thanks! My rubber coupler was gone. Opened it up and found it it was locked up with three broken vanes.

Engine is a 0-200 in a 1973 Cessna 150L VFR

You are unfortunatly going to find the cost of ANY punp (wet or dry) to be small pototaos compared to the cost of your coupler...:yikes:

Chris

I had good luck with the Rapco pumps, they will last 1000 hours. On the pump failures that I have seen what breaks is the rubber coupler and not the actual pump inside. The rubber on the coupler degrades more with time than with usage. I have opened three of these failed Rapco pumps and all the vanes are in perfect condition. Next time I am thinking of coating the rubber coupler with some protective coat to minimize deterioration. Any suggestions?

José

That rubber coupler is plastic, and it has a six-year life. I bet all those pumps were older than that. There's something in the fine print about the coupler life.

Cleaning solvents and other contaminants can also shorten the coupler life.

Dan

You are unfortunatly going to find the cost of ANY punp (wet or dry) to be small pototaos compared to the cost of your coupler...:yikes:

Chris

Each pump comes with a new coupler. Perhaps you mean the pump drive adapter in the engine?

Dan

Each pump comes with a new coupler. Perhaps you mean the pump drive adapter in the engine?

Dan

No Dan;

I had a brain glitch between reading the post and typing my reply.
I substituted Alternator where the OP said Vaccum Pump...

Getting old(er) is hell...

Chris (Aged Flatuent Emeritus)

Back