Can this headliner zipper be repaired in place?

Leo O'Farrell

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Leo O'Farrell
The zipper in my old 172 headliner has separated from the overall headliner. Could it be hand sewn in place. Duct tape just isn't doing it.

Attachments

• IMG_5110.JPG
    IMG_5110.JPG
    677.2 KB · Views: 72
Your aircraft is nice enough to deserve a new head liner, contact Jack Pardue "Stitch" and have him install a new Airteck head liner. they are cheaper than most repairs. and look a hell of a lot better than some old stitching.

http://www.recovery-shop.com

Last edited:
Go talk to your local hotrod guys, see who they recommend, I'd stay away from aviation upholstery places, often top dollar for bottom rung work.

Go talk to your local hotrod guys, see who they recommend, I'd stay away from aviation upholstery places, often top dollar for bottom rung work.

I have seen that happen before too..

You don't know "Stitch"

Complete 170 interior for half what Airtec wanted.

Attachments

• 20131003_173115.jpg
    20131003_173115.jpg
    727.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 20131004_110438.jpg
    20131004_110438.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 33
  • 20131110_155510.jpg
    20131110_155510.jpg
    492 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN3735.JPG
    DSCN3735.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20131114_133924.jpg
    20131114_133924.jpg
    626.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20131130_120328.jpg
    20131130_120328.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 26
"Stitch does NICE work....

Does he travel around the country ?

"Stitch does NICE work....

Does he travel around the country ?

No he's swamped at home.

On second thought, call him, you never know.

Last edited:
Stitch did my seats -- very nice

11258864066_32eaee217c_z.jpg
[/url]10100001 by Oclipat, on Flickr[/IMG]

The zipper in my old 172 headliner has separated from the overall headliner.
Leo - also fly an older 172 ('64) that has the original headliner. Once a tear starts in that old vinyl its only going to get worse the more you handle it.

I ran into the same problem during my last annual ... we unzipped the headliner to inspect the aileron cables when we went to close it tore right along the zipper. Aircraft Spruce makes some very reasonably priced wool headliners that I've seen others install at the field. It's on my project list.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/headliners.php

To the OP... I had the zipper repaired in my old original Cessna headliner without removing it. A local upholstery guy did it. It looked perfect.

Just for reference...for a different type of zipper failure than the O.P. has.

My zipper failed at the last annual. The slider was "stuck tight." So, I carefully removed it, bought a couple of packs of these (or something quite similar), lubed the zipper teeth, and installed two zipper slides in lieu of the original one. Works great now and it can be unzipped from either side.

Re: wool headliners. They're the easiest to install because the wool can be shrunk to take up sags and wrinkles but if you get any condensation or overhead leaking it'll show forever. Spruce contracts with an upholstery shop to produce wool and vinyl headliners. I've bought both. I used the wool one and was sorry I did.

Re: wool headliners. They're the easiest to install because the wool can be shrunk to take up sags and wrinkles but if you get any condensation or overhead leaking it'll show forever. Spruce contracts with an upholstery shop to produce wool and vinyl headliners. I've bought both. I used the wool one and was sorry I did.
Your aircraft shouldn't leak, you should have fixed that first.

Condensation has nothing to do with leaking. Anyone who operates in cold temps will get condensation. As for leaks, sometimes they happen. One time is all it takes. Real world experience.

Condensation has nothing to do with leaking. Anyone who operates in cold temps will get condensation. As for leaks, sometimes they happen. One time is all it takes. Real world experience.

That condensation also causes significant corrosion on the airframe above the headliner, and it can cause weird problems with the alternator cutting out. The moisture gets into the antenna cable connection and ruins the shield ground connection, letting RF escape. That RF then gets into the aircraft's electrical wiring, making little spikes whenever you transmit, and fools the electronic voltage regulator into thinking it has an overvoltage situation. I once spent several days trying to find out why the alternator tripped off at transmit until we saw the little paragraph in the 185 service manual about it.

I think that condensation is worse than rain. It's from the airplane's occupants' breath and probably has acids or salts in it, too.

Back