Can stores require an ID for a credit card?

Merchants are not supposed to. I've heard about this on Clark Howard a few times from those who don't want to be bothered. However, my cards have "See ID" next to my signature.

Since merchants will take cards at face value when presented, it's an easy opportunity for fraud. While the card holder may be protected after a certain amount (usually $50), I'd rather not have the hassle. It was enough hassle once when I had to change my Discover number from one I had memorized.

Don't bother me none if they want to compare my face with a photo ID -- saves me money in the long run, but I see no need for them to copy or otherwise record data (which I've never seen a merchant do when asking for ID along with the card). Also, I think some cards were coming up with putting your picture on them just to ensure positive ID to prevent use of stolen cards -- did this dry up? I wouldn't mind it if they made a picture of me part of the card, and gave me a discount for doing it (since they save money on fraud if positive ID is made).

Good question - part of me says they ought to be asking for ID. But if you pay with cash, why ask for ID? You could have stolen the cash. :dunno:

Good question - part of me says they ought to be asking for ID. But if you pay with cash, why ask for ID? You could have stolen the cash. :dunno:

When I worked in the Boeing building the guards used to demand ID when we went to the cafe in the lobby. I always wanted to present an ID that said my name had the initials OBL. :rolleyes:

I always go so far as to thank the clerk when they ask to see my ID with my credit card. Despite having "SEE ID" on my signature box, I almost never get asked.

I really dislike the marketing the CC companies do on this topic. Most cards have a $0 liability policy anyway, and if they don't, you're only liable for $50.

So no, I don't want them to ask for my ID and then tell me that it's for my protection. It's not. Just like them blocking my card when they see suspicious purchases isn't for my protection, either. It's for theirs, so that they don't have to pay for fraudulent charges, and it's a big annoyance to me.

At the very least they could be honest about it.

-Felix

I have no problem with them asking for my ID. It is for my protection. Fraud costs all of us money. The bottom line is the consumer pays.

Also, I think some cards were coming up with putting your picture on them just to ensure positive ID to prevent use of stolen cards -- did this dry up?
It might have. I know early experiments with photos on credit cards proved that they didn't work. The clerks just look at the length of the line, swipe the card, and move on. These cards had photos of George Washington (the unfinished Gilbert Stuart version, the one that looks like George is in a gas chamber. :eek: http://www.npg.si.edu/exh/hall2/georges.htm ) and Adolf Hitler. Nobody asked a question.

-Skip

ID proves nothing.

I often object to having to present ID when charging something, especially small items. There is NO reason that an underpaid clerk needs to see my address or phone number. And yes, there are some who will steal your identity (BTDT, got the scars).

Mastercard has a place on their web site where you can complain if a merchant required ID. Link to complaint form, see checkbox 3

With all due respect to those with differing opinions, I despise the fact that we are becoming an "ID Society".

Last edited:
I really dislike the marketing the CC companies do on this topic. Most cards have a $0 liability policy anyway, and if they don't, you're only liable for $50.

So no, I don't want them to ask for my ID and then tell me that it's for my protection. It's not. Just like them blocking my card when they see suspicious purchases isn't for my protection, either. It's for theirs, so that they don't have to pay for fraudulent charges, and it's a big annoyance to me.

At the very least they could be honest about it.
Who do think pays for the goods bought with that stolen card? You think the CEO of MasterCard digs into his pocket and covers the loss? That loss is paid for by the percentage MC takes off the top when they send your money to the store. And that percentage is passed back to you in the form of higher prices. At the end of the day, you're paying for it, but in an insurance-like method rather than eating the whole lump when it happens to you. Cut into credit card fraud, and the price you pay for goods goes down (well, maybe just not up as much).

With all due respect to those with differing opinions, I despise the fact that we are becoming an "ID Society".
You wanna be anonymous? Use cash.

Every now and then, I'll ask the clerk if they take personal checks. When the clerk starts to give me that "you gotta be kidding" look, I hold up a $20 bill and say, "How 'bout if my name is Andrew Jackson?" Usually gets a chuckle -- and change.

You wanna be anonymous? Use cash.

I had one Home Depot check-out clerk demand an ID for a CASH transaction. "Store Policy".

I walked.

I fully recognize that one is not anonymous when using a credit card. That's not the point....

Merchants are allowed to ask for ID, but they're not allowed to refuse the transactions if you decide not to show ID. (I don't mind showing ID)

Oh, and the "SEE ID" signature line trick? Also against merchant agreements. They're not supposed to accept the card with anything other than a valid signature on the back. I had one friend who was militant about the see id thing who stopped being militant when he ran up against a retailer who knew the rules and refused his card. He thought he could get the vendor in trouble by calling the credit card company but he was laughed at an informed that the vendor was correct. All the local merchants were given a lecture about the SEE ID trick that a fair number of them started refusing. So he had to sign the card normally.

--Carlos V.

A private business is not >required< to sell you anything.
I agree, and we are not <required> to buy anything. I don't mind showing my ID, and I have "see ID" on my card, wether the card company likes it or not. If a store don't like it, I don't have to buy, and I have done that.

I had one Home Depot check-out clerk demand an ID for a CASH transaction. "Store Policy".

I walked.

I fully recognize that one is not anonymous when using a credit card. That's not the point....

Wow. That's illegal, too. The only thing they can ask if it's over $10,000 per IRS(?) rules.

"For all debts, public and private."

Sometimes stores are required to have ID because of what you're buying (like pseudoephedrine), not how you're paying. Just something to keep in mind.

Sometimes stores are required to have ID because of what you're buying (like pseudoephedrine), not how you're paying. Just something to keep in mind.

Not for lumber and PVC pipe at Home Dump.

Had the knuckleheads at Sears asked to see ID the time some crook cloned my Visa card, they might not have managed to buy $250 dollars worth of stuff with the bogus card.
Fortunately, my bank was already on the case after the idiots tried to use it at a gas pump on their way to Sears and didn't have the zip code. :D

Who do think pays for the goods bought with that stolen card? You think the CEO of MasterCard digs into his pocket and covers the loss? That loss is paid for by the percentage MC takes off the top when they send your money to the store. And that percentage is passed back to you in the form of higher prices. At the end of the day, you're paying for it, but in an insurance-like method rather than eating the whole lump when it happens to you. Cut into credit card fraud, and the price you pay for goods goes down (well, maybe just not up as much).
It's not that easy, Ron.

What is actually happening here is a lot more insidious than it appears. CC systems, very similarly to credit reporting agencies, run a broken system. Anyone can use your CC, or open a new account with your SSN, without any real authentication (like a PIN, for example).

You're right that the CC companies would raise their fees up to a point if more fraud were to occur, which might or might not happen if they didn't inconvenience their customers by canceling their cards for suspicious activity or making them show ID. Let's assume that fraud would increase if they didn't ask for ID.

Now, they would have to raise their fees to stay profitable. They can do that up to a point where another CC solutions provider will have enough of an incentive to provide a new, technically superior, solution that protects against fraud without inconveniencing customers and without having to recoup those costs through high fees.

At that point, consumers will switch to that provider and the established providers will lose a lot of business. Obviously, they don't want that.

What's going on here is quite interesting - companies are selling broken systems and, instead of fixing them, they're limiting the utility the users can get out of the system through those ID checks and card cancellations.

If they didn't do that, they'd find themselves out-priced rather quickly, and their business models would crumble. The CC market is very competitive - prices for consumers won't rise by much, and certainly not for a sustained amount of time, no matter what happens. But companies can and will go away.

So no - protecting me from fraud or rising prices has _nothing_ to do with ID checks. I'm already protected from fraud by federal law and from ricing prices by a very competitive market.

-Felix

Wow. That's illegal, too. The only thing they can ask if it's over $10,000 per IRS(?) rules.

"For all debts, public and private."

I say again a business does not have to sell you anything - I don't have to take your card if I don't like you. I can take Amex but not Visa. If I don't want cash and prefer a credit card and we disagree I am free to tell you to buy your stuff somewhere else. Perhaps I will only take canned Alaskan Coho as payment and all other currency is not accepted in my shop. If I want you to show id and sign in blood with a specially equipped pen I can do so. You can put your wallet away and leave.

If I violate the agreement between my business and - for example - Mastercard, that is between me and Mastercard. For the consumer they only have the option of taking their business elsewhere. Or dropping a dime on me with Mastercard, or the BBB. I can then tell both MC and the BBB to gth and you still aren't getting my wares. Or I may change my policies.

What a liberal concept - a fundamental right to dictate payment terms of my choice?

Last edited:
What is actually happening here is a lot more insidious than it appears. CC systems, very similarly to credit reporting agencies, run a broken system. Anyone can use your CC, or open a new account with your SSN, without any real authentication (like a PIN, for example).
petitive market...
I was amazed the one time card was used online that the credit card company nearly yawned when I told them. I was a lot more upset about it than they were.

Obviously, you're right. They allow fraud as an overhead cost and put in just enough safeguards to not inconvenience customers or the teefs.

It's not that easy, Ron.

So no - protecting me from fraud or rising prices has _nothing_ to do with ID checks. I'm already protected from fraud by federal law and from ricing prices by a very competitive market.

-Felix

I'll go a step further. In one case where my CC number was stolen by the front desk clerk of a hotel that also demanded (and copied) my DL for ID (a hotel that is/was a 4-star in NYC), the slimeballs that created a false identity went on a spending spree in SoBe and Miami.

One or more was apparently caught by the local gendarmes. The local DA contacted me and the credit card issuer. The charges were dropped - I believe the CC company didn't pursue it all that hard (but I'll never know for sure).... they certainly weren't interested when I informed them that the local DA had arrested some crooks with a fake CC and fake ID (both in my name) in their hands. They took the identifying info from my ID, the address info from my ID and hotel record, the credit card info from the card itself, and created a fake driver license and credit card.

I was *absolutely* no better off (and actually worse off because they opened new accounts with Bell Atlantic/Verizon using the identity data) for having having presented ID.

Presenting ID with your address, and especially allowing the merchant to copy down your address and ID number, is inviting identity theft. There are plenty of cases where restaurant workers have run folks cards through concealed machines to capture data.

I really do like the fact that European issuers use a smart chip in the card and a PIN to reduce fraud.

Back