Can Private Pilots Have a "Job"?

As the chief tow pilot responsible for checking out tow pilots for our tow plane, I require a 100hrs tailwheel time and with only a few exceptions also require a commercial pilot certificate, even though legally it is not required.

Another Club I fly for has a 182 they tow with, minimum experience is 100hrs to tow in the 182.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL
A. There are not many glider clubs in many parts of the US.
B. There not much demand.

When I had my Pitts S2A, I had to get my commercial rating because I wanted to do small town airshows. They never paid in money, but they often offered free gas, or a motel for the night. The FAA considers both options compensation. I also had to upgrade my medical to a Class II to go with my commercial rating. If you want an airport job without a commercial rating, you're looking at pumping gas or moving planes around the ramp with a tug. The Commercial ticket was a lot easier to get than my IFR rating. If you want to earn "compensation" by actually flying, go ahead and get your commercial license. These days, you don't even have to rent a retractable gear plane to get your commercial.

Back